09 JSW: unusual creaking sounds

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
09 JSW, 94k miles. When rolling very slowly, in or out of gear, there are arrhythmic creaking sounds coming from the front end, also while turning steering wheel r-l.
Here's the 3rd try at getting a video clip to work:

Last edited:

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I guess since there are no responses here I'll have to take it in to the dealer. Very weird sound.

JaY_III

Veteran Member
TDI
09 TDI Wagon
make sure your tire is seated correct... aka no bolts have come loose
you will ahve to life it to check that, and will feel play in the tire if it did

geoman

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 tdi jetta wagon
I had a stone lodged in the heat shield of the drivers side brake which made what I thought was a creaking noise too. It was ground to a fine polish when we discovered it(!) yet with no visible damage to the pad or rotor. you would think it would make a constant screeching noise but it presented as an intermittent rattle when the vehicle was moving forward or reverse.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Dealer tech spent some time searching, isolated the creaking/ticking sound to the steering rack. Subframe is snug, no other loose bolts.
Says he's never seen one make this noise, recommended I just drive it for the time being.
I have a Fidelity Platinum 7/100k warranty, I'll have the service advisor phone them and get the process started.
Curious: they keep racks in stock, big dealership I guess.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Fidelity will send an inspector tomorrow to confirm the repair is necessary. Dealer will provide a loaner for the entire time the car is in the shop, waiting for the inspector, and the repair. Says it's 5-6 hours labor, + alignment time.

Mike in Anchorage

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Touareg Lux, 2015 Golf Sportwagen SE, new 4 Sept 2017;2009 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagen (Ruby) sold to VW on 22 SEP 2017
Have you tried coasting without the engine running to see if the noise is the same? I agree with Geoman that you probably have a small pebble or piece of metal rattling in a small confined location. Keep us posted.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Appreciate the feedback. You can hear the ticking in the video (if the video is still functioning...having issues with it!) when I'm sitting still, or hardly moving. The sound also occurs at rest when I gently turn the wheel r/l. It isn't dependent on rolling. If I coast forward, in or out of DSG 1, the frequency of the ticking (again, it is random, not rhythmic) increases.

It actually sounds like a heat shield ticking irregularly right after you engine shut down, thermal popping, but I know that's not it. Also similar to the seat mounting bolt ticking I get sometimes in the 2014 Passat, caused by flexing of some sort.

I hope the steering rack r/r surgery paid for by Fidelity (uhh...actually by ME, the entire purchase price of the 7/100k warranty I bought in April 2009...$1900 or so) will solve this, and that the disassembly/assembly is worth it.

Steering rack r/r: Anyt other wear item I should have them replace at 94k miles while the rack's out?

Last edited:

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
not really.

the sway bar would be easy to get to, but they do not seem to have bushings crack or get loose.

DPF is not a replace because it is easy to get to item.

(and they will likely have to drop the subframe to do the emissions update next year)

hope it fixes up your noise.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Steering rack replaced, "ticking" sound gone. I'm a little bummed that it's a rebuilt rack, though.
Total was just under $1500, not including alignment. All's well, tracks perfectly straight, steering wheel perfectly centered.

Regardless of the VAG emissions fraud, I LOVE this car. For me, it's perfectly balanced, DSG quick, good mpg, good balance of handling/ride on extremely challenging old concrete in the DFW region.

geoman

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 tdi jetta wagon
I love mine for the same reasons. good news that it got sorted out for you. you've got $400 left on warranty to 'break-even'? if nothing major occurs, it'll be the best $400 you ever gave away. I flew through my k's like a blink w/approx $200 in warranty covered items leading me to believe that my $1600 could have been better spent. yet strangely I'd consider it again...