'06 warnings?

87homebuilttdi

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 tdi, 2006 Jetta DSG, 2003 ALH Wagon
Hi,
I am thinking about buying a used '06 Tdi Jetta with the automatic trans. Can anybody tell me what the downsides are, besides the DMF issue, camshaft timing adjustment, and camshaft lobe failure? The car has 140,000 miles, but I believe it is in nice physical condition otherwise. I realize that the PD is a problem engine and am not sure if it's worth it....
Thank you.

mnguy

TDI
2006 jetta
DMF, Camshaft and DSG are the potential major problems.

I am doing the dmf, cam, plus the egr and all the intake seals, mine has 155,000 miles and I bought it knowing that I would be putting money into it, around $2,500 if you do it yourself with a new timing belt and everything. Keep that in mind if you decide to try and buy it.

Rattler05.5

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 Jetta 5m; For sale
What's the asking price? I only ask out of curiosity, it will certainly bring about naysayers who think that it is only worth $6000. I paid 12.5k with 90k miles and feel it was fair. I've a manual though and my cam looks to be in fine shape so far.

Buy what seems fair to you and whatever you would be happy with. With that many miles it would be money well spent to get it to a guru and have them go over it to see what is in the near future repair wise.

redlm

Veteran Member
TDI
05.5 Jetta
Odds are pretty good you'll be OK, I'm at 214,000 and my cam is starting to rattle, so I will have it changed in a week or two.

87homebuilttdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks for the support. Now, the big question, how much should I pay for this car? Leather seats, NO sunroof, DSG, 140,000 miles, bad cam, bad DSG flywheel, old timing belt, bad tires, needs a water pump, rest of the car is nice.

Rattler05.5

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 Jetta 5m; For sale
Thanks for the support. Now, the big question, how much should I pay for this car? Leather seats, NO sunroof, DSG, 140,000 miles, bad cam, bad DSG flywheel, old timing belt, bad tires, needs a water pump, rest of the car is nice.
Jeez, in the end I would say it isn't worth your trouble. Take maybe 10k for the car and subtract the cost of all the repairs from a mechanic. This would be a good car for a mechanic that could pay himself to do the work, aka sweat equity. In my opinion it would need to be around or under 5k. Even then, what else will it need that hasn't been discovered yet?

I look forward to hearing what others think!

87homebuilttdi

Veteran Member
TDI
It's still registered and inspected, they stopped driving it when they noticed the new noises.
When the cam wears this much and deposits excessive ferrous materials in the oil, do the main and rod bearings survive? Any feed back on this?
I can imagine that It might be best to check them while doing the cam replacement even though it is a lot of work.

tactdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 Jetta
Without a sunroof, the car does not have leather seats. It does have vinyl that looks like leather. without a sunroof, it would have no package options (package 0). Package 1 included sunroof, Sat radio, heated seats. Package 2 added leather seats, Auto climate control.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
The lower end is pretty much bullet proof on these cars. If you can get it for cheap and can do the work, go for it.

Talk to franko6 about the cam issues.

E-Z Wood

Veteran Member
Without a sunroof, the car does not have leather seats. It does have vinyl that looks like leather. without a sunroof, it would have no package options (package 0). Package 1 included sunroof, Sat radio, heated seats. Package 2 added leather seats, Auto climate control.
If I'm not mistaken, you are mistaken on this info. From what I understand the tdi package includes the leather seats, heated seats, six disc changer with satellite radio. Even if it is a package 0

mnguy

TDI
2006 jetta
If I'm not mistaken, you are mistaken on this info. From what I understand the tdi package includes the leather seats, heated seats, six disc changer with satellite radio. Even if it is a package 0
Package 0 and 1 have vinyl, 1 gives you heated seats and moon roof, package 2 has leather and tons of other stuff.

Dread_Specter

TDI
Jetta TDi 2006
I'd also make sure to check the wiring.. I've had ridiculous issues of wiring with mine, including a breaking down MAF harness (which isn't fixed yet), a fan resistor which took ablaze (litteraly), which I managed to fix, and the dreaded driver's door harness, which went bazzoka on me. took me a good 5 hours to fix it by resoldering the harness bits, but it's destroyed anyways and will need replacement I think. those are all the minor issues the MK5 has, and i got them all within 6 months.

And no, no VNT15 on this one, you want a new turbo you need a custom manfiold and the new turbo, nothing bolt-on.