06 Jetta 5spd Manual Trans Fluid Change?

REEDBR

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI BRM
I've got 200,000 on my Jetta, I decide to change the 5spd manual transmission fluid. I drain the transmission and notice only a small volume comes out. My service manual states it should hold 1.9 quarts. I thought it strange so I measured the oil i drained with a baby bottle. I drained 20 oz. I begin to refill with new fluid. At somewhere around 3/4" of a quart it starts runnig out the fill hole. I stop, drain the fluid again and measure again with a baby bottle. The second time i drained it, i jacked the right side of the car up way higher than the left to try and get it all out. I got 21oz the second time. What gives? Why didn't it drain the ~64 oz (2 quarts)? Is my service manual wrong?

tactdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 Jetta
Do not drive the car until you follow the instructions posted above,
the fill hole is too low, and without filling from the reverse switch, you will
not have enough fluid. Also to drain almost 2 qts of fluid out of the transmission, you have to lock the shift linkage and drain from the shifter bearing pin in addition to the drain plug.

etextdi

Veteran Member
TDI
06 jetta
replaced the DMF and clutch. while it was pulled I took the transmission and drained it. refilled with the prescribed amount of fluid. wouldn't pull the tranny just to change the fluid but if its already out,it's a good time to do it.

cobra390t

Veteran Member
TDI
06 VW Jetta BRM 5SPD ,2005 Passat TDI Wagon( SOLD ), 05 Mk4 Golf BEW , 04 MK4 Golf BEW , MPG Who cares It's a Diesel
How often should you change the Tranny Fluid . Mine just turned 100K

bl00tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
None
I change gear oil when shift quality starts to degrade, regardless of fluid.

And please please please read the myturbodiesel article linked above. It will show you all you need to know. As a matter of fact, just spend hours reading through that FAQ section. It's a great resource and you'll be glad you did.

joljaz

TDI
2004 Jetta
In this "complicated " procedure for the 2006 jetta tdi, it states " Click the thumbnail below to view the TSB if you only have the early edition for 2005-2006." And the technical bulletin states for the Jetta " 2005>2006 all eng. code, VIN range 1k_54m000001 - 1k_6m648609. Was this problem fixed in VIN #'s greater than 1k_6m648609? Mine is 1K36m720**** Can I use the ez basic fluid change method?