05 Passat heavy sludge residue in intakes

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Perhaps it's time for a Ford or Chevy, Honda or anything else that burns that other stuff called gasoline.

DickSilver

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 B5.5V, 1996 B4V
I completely blocked the EGR on my B5.5V TDI at 10K miles. 185K now, clean engine, no problems (given a geared BSM at 100K miles.) And NOT JUST SYNTHETIC OIL - It has GOT to run VW spec 505.01 100% of the time. I always use Pentosyn 5W40 oil.

For heaven's sake, get your car to an experienced, qualified VW TDI mechanic.

xphillips

TDI
2010 Touareg TDI
In my opinion, and I don't have nearly as much experience here as others, you Mr Phillips are very fortunate to have bought or acquired an extended warranty. I say this because this is clearly not the vehicle for you. You and your mechanic are getting excited over issues that are quite normal for this vehicle, unless of course there are problems with the bottom end of your engine.

Perhaps a new clean diesel might be a better choice.

Please produce the pictures of the encrusted impregnated unusable bottom end.
OK now here we are in 2020 6 yrs later. Can you explain to me what design changes in the engine were made by Germany to go from the so-called "dirty" platform to "clean" ones after 2010? Besides the questionable chain driven oil pump?

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
05 GLS BHW sedan 5 speed conversion. BHW Carver SantaCruz in progress
New diesels have dirty intakes, complex fuel delivery systems and clean exhaust.

Old diesels had simple injection pump fuel delivery systems, clean intakes and dirty exhaust.

Smokerr

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat Wagon GL,2005,Silver
That car predates the ULSD rollout, so it is probable that all BHWs had to run LSD for a while. I'd not worry too much about it. My intake has never been off, car runs fine, as do the rest of them that are in our shop.
Just to add in a bit of background, Alaska was exempt from the standards of the lower 48 at the time, we were allowed a halatius amount of sulfur.

I do think the DOC got compromised as it would smoke badly, but found an additive that stopped that. It only has to be used every 8 fuelings and was a high concentration (1 oz pr 32 gallons) It was easier than dealing with VW as it would not smoke when they had it. I have enough of it to last a lifetime (our supplier at work started putting additives in the delivered diesle and we no longer needed it there so I got to take it home)

I pulled the EGR valve the other day (2nde time) intake has a coating of coke but nothing plugged. EGR valve only sort of needed cleaning.

Den

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta Baltic Green & 2015 Passat SE TDI 6 spd. auto.
intake coking

any known issues with intake coking on the 2015 tdi?