04-06 Golf Automatic Wanted

joshetude

TDI
2001 VW Golf
My current vehicle is 30 yrs old, and I want my next car to run on biodiesel. Would love to find a VW Golf TDI (esp 2004-2006 automatic) in decent condition, with an owner willing to sell in the range of $2,000 - $5,000. I'm a solo parent with a young child, so can't take on major repairs. Need solid, reliable, well-maintained. Please be willing to let my mechanic take a look. I'm in the SF Bay Area, open to transporting from other areas if the logistics can be worked out.

deegingerkid

Beware the Ginger! Vendor
TDI
"Blurple" 2000 New Beetle 5M 2006 Jetta has been SOLD
I cannot recommend highly enough that you get a car from the 99.5-03 generation. The 04-06 engines are not biofuel friendly and the injectors clog up easily running B100. b50 is all the more concentrated you can run bio in an 04-06 car. They are called pumpe duse or PD engines in tdiclub lingo. New injectors run about 1000 per set. The automatic trans in the older cars (99-03)is notoriously unreliable and hurts mileage. If you can drive a stick, do it.

If you want a car that's fairly low maintenance, a TDI may not be the best idea. Unless you are willing to do basic maintenance by yourself, it can get pricey in a hurry. Something reliable and low cost to maintain (read: Japanese or Korean) may be a better choice.

I can certainly respect you wanting to use biofuels, but this car is picky and can cost a good deal in basic upkeep alone, not inclusive of large repairs that may crop up.

Caveat emptor.

Just a friendly heads up. I'm also in the Bay Area if you'd like more advice. Plus, California prices on the 04-06 cars are still hanging around 8k. Good luck in your search!

Sent from my LG-LS970 using Tapatalk