04-05 Passat Sedan TDI Hitch Question

GoneDiesel

Veteran Member
Anyone with a 04-05 Passat sedan TDI put a hitch on? I am having trouble finding a hitch that fits our cars. Please only post if you know for sure a model that fits. I have read a ton of threads from various sites but nothing seems to fit our TDI properly that I can find.

Alchemy

Veteran Member
TDI
None thanks to dieselgate
I put one on my 05 Variant, and it is the same one for a sedan. It is a Reese 79164 shadowmount. Also available is the 77039 1.25" version. Click HERE for the link.

GoneDiesel

Veteran Member
The Variant has a different spare wheel well that the hitch attaches to as compared to the TDI spare wheel well. I may just have to do a custom hitch.

whizbyu

When installing this hitch, do you just bolt it on? Or do you have to take the bumper off and perform all sorts of modifications? Website calls for 35 minutes install. That's for an expert. I'll probably need 3 days.

Alchemy

Veteran Member
TDI
Took me about 2 hours from what I remember, and I did not need to remove the bumper cover.

GoneDiesel

Veteran Member
Whiz, what type of passat do you have? If you have a variant/wagon then check out Alchemy install. But if you have the sedan, then the only hitch that will properly fit that I know of is the Drawtite. The Drawtite hitch does need to be attached to the bumper. So drilling the bumper is involved and taking the bumper off will make the drilling easier but I installed a drawtite and drilled the bumper with out removal of the plastic molding bumper cover. With any of the bumper type hitches you will need to trim the plastic molding bumper cover a bit. So I trimmed it a bit more and just drilled out the bumper with the plastic molding bumper cover on. If I get time I will post a thread of the install but if your in a hurry just shoot me an e-mail and I will send you some pics. I have tried the Da'Lan type hitches on my TDI and it will not fit. As far as I know the only type of hitch that will fit a sedan is the Drawtite or a similar hitch. One that also attaches to the bumper and not only to the spare wheelwell area.

DickSilver

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 B5.5V, 1996 B4V
Taking the bumper cover off is not very difficult. If you have the Bentley manual, it will show you the fasteners to remove. Easiest if you jack up the rear end, put it on jackstands, and remove the rear wheels. Then remove (I think) 3 screws in each wheel well, two each side of trunk lid, and several along the bottom. Gently pull to the rear, find the screw you missed, then pull off. Careful cause you can't go very far until you disconnect the side marker light wires. Then you can drill the bumper, etc.

jldlooking

TDI
passat wagon 2005
Update: I got an email from Reese. They have discontinued the ShadowMount hitch for the Passat. Not sure if it was the whole line or just certain ones.

ctsoh

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat TDI Wagon, 2002 New Beetle TDI, Blue
If this Reese 79164 shadowmount is no longer available, are there any other options for my 2005 Passat TDI Wagon (with all of 100 miles on it so far)?

And, where did you purchase the Reese 79164 shadowmount, maybe they have more in stock?

Regards,

ctsoh

Alchemy

Veteran Member
TDI
I bought mine from Fleet Farm in Plymouth, WI for about $90

Their number is 920.893.5115.

Perhaps they still have them available.

jldlooking

TDI
passat wagon 2005
I put my hitch on this weekend and have a few more questions. In the hardware, they included these little squares for galvanic protection. They were big enough to cover the steel on the hitch side of the bumper, but were not big enough for the metal plate on the inner part of the bumper (only covered about half of the metal). Should I be concerned about this? Should I take it apart and put something bigger on the metal plate? After the fact, I thought a piece of packing tape would have worked nicely (not sure if its the right material). Also, is there a problem with the bolt being in contact with the bumper? Would galvanic isolation be warranted for the bolt?

Lastly, I love my seven year old daughter. She could easily reach her little arm into the bumper to slip the bolt through the hole. She saved me an hour or so on the installation.

ctsoh

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat TDI Wagon, 2002 New Beetle TDI, Blue
jldlooking , Where did you get your hitch and what make and model is it? I also have the station wagon and I can't find a hitch for mine.
Regards,

Steve

GoneDiesel

Veteran Member
Here is my setup. It is a Draw-tite ordered from E-Trailer.com for just under $100. It is not a perfect fit like the Draw-Tite on my Jetta. I have used it to tow a camper and has not given me any problems. Install was easy. Needed to drill bumper in two spots. This was the most difficult. Rather remove plastic bumper cover I just took a dremel tool to the bumper cover and removed enough to drill out the bumper. Looking from the rear of the Passat you can not see the cut outs. Here are some pics:

Rear End

Section of bumper cover that will need to be removed for hitch install.

Hitch Installed, shot from passenger side.

Another Shot from driver side.

Passat TDI tow vehicle and Aliner hard sided folding camper.

Camper extended.

The camper is about 1100lbs loaded. I have had various MPG depending on road conditions and weather. The best averages I have got is 30-31 mpg on flat ground. The worst was 21-22 mpg against a very heavy head wind and in the mountains. With out the camper best I have got was 40mpg on the highway. Daily driving is about 60% city and 40% hwy which yields 35mpg.

CalgaryTDI

TDI
2005 PASSAT GLS WAGON, 2006 JETTA
Uhaul Hitch

UHaul had a Class 1 hitch listed for my 05 Passat Wagon which they installed for under $200 including the wiring harness. I've been very pleased. I pull a 10' Quicksilver tent trailer that weighs 1020 lbs empty and its very stable. The hitch mounts to the underside of the trunk and around the spare tire well - a strange looking item but very stable.

My issue is when I load up the trunk, my tail sags. I have seen the Firestone airbags on various sites for around $100 that are meant to level the car nicely and improve the handling while towing, though I find the car handles as well or better under load! I just don't like to hear the rear mud flaps dragging on the ground when pulling outof parking lots.:cool:

I bought the Passat roof racks from VW and attached 4 generic bike racks to them and carry 4 bikes on the roof as well with no issues so far.