'02 Jetta TDI weird things

burghtdi

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
I've posted on here before and gotten some really good advice... so here goes again....

I recently noticed my car driving slightly weird. About 2 weeks ago on a 2 hour road trip I noticed that when I went from driving highway speeds (around 65 MPH) for about an hour - to stop and go traffic - the car wasn't shifting gears as smoothly as it normally did (it's an automatic). Nothing that felt drastically wrong but just not quite normal. The RPMS just seemed to be really high before it would shift.

In the 2 weeks since then I have noticed that when driving 60+ MPH I sometimes (not always) notice a slight shudder in my steering wheel. Again, nothing drastic. I do know I need new tires soon... not an immediate problem but coming up. But I notice that when I take my foot off the gas the shudder stops which leads me to believe it is not tires but I could be wrong. My car has 140,000 miles on it so I have become used to paying attention to the little things after being burned with repairs when i ignored things.

Just today when I turned my car off after my 20 minute drive home from work the fan continued to run for about 2 minutes. I know that this means the car is cooling down.... but I honestly cannot remember my car ever doing this before.

Are these signs of anything or I am being a total car hypochondriac??

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
burghtdi said:
I recently noticed my car driving slightly weird. About 2 weeks ago on a 2 hour road trip I noticed that when I went from driving highway speeds (around 65 MPH) for about an hour - to stop and go traffic - the car wasn't shifting gears as smoothly as it normally did (it's an automatic). Nothing that felt drastically wrong but just not quite normal. The RPMS just seemed to be really high before it would shift.
Hi, and welcome to Fred's!

When was the AUTOMATIC transmission last serviced :eek:

burghtdi

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
The last thing serviced on the engine was the timing belt. It was replaced about a year ago... maybe 15,000 miles. Other than that what should I be doing on a regular basis? Maybe that's my problem....

TDI
Jetta, 2006, Campanella White, Anthracite Int. DSG, Pkg. 1; New Beetle, 1998, Yellow, black leather Int., 2013 Passat TDI SEL Night blue, grey Int. given back to VW (well, not given... ;) ) 2018 Tiguan; first gasser in years
I've seen a coolant temp. sensor going bad give trans. shifting issues. That might also have something to do with the fan(s) staying on longer than what you've seen as normal. It's another thing to check…