02 Golf TDI GLS Hit

WantingaTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
VW Golf 03 TDI
Hey,
My car got hit today; lady in Ford Explorer SUV comming out of parking lot....

Do I want the insurance company to total the car or reparir? If they total will I only get the KBB not the "TDI market price"? KBB says mine is worth $12,785

Here is the damage, i'll post pictures at some point.
- Right side panel hit
- Air bags deployed (Pass, Driver)
- Right front alloy wheel destryed
- bad damage to hood
-Windshield cracked
- I wasn't able to open the hood to see if the engine, radiator, condensor or oil pan got damaged.
-passanger side door not damaged, but doesn't open -- Not sure if the frame is ok
Thoughts from this cursory overview?

Jetta_Jim

TDI
jetta GLS, 04, wheat beige
ask your insurance company what they will give you for it and how they arrived at that figure.

NMRJock

Veteran Member
TDI
'09 Jetta DSG
It sounds totalled. If it is, read your policy. You can probably get more than KBB if you negotiate with the insurance company a bit. Many policies are for 'replacement cost.' You just have to show them that it would cost more than $13k to get another like yours.

petec1

Insurance company negotiate? That's a good one! Seems to me that the insurance company will say, sorry, kbb is 12 grand. They'll claim that kbb is replacement price. Unless you specifically insured it for a certain amount, I am afraid you are SOL. Good luck though.

How bad was the paint scratched on the explorer?

NMRJock

Veteran Member
TDI
'09 Jetta DSG
I know from experience with two different insurance companies that you can negotiate on replacement value of a totalled vehicle.

rdkern

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat 1997 silver (sold after 11 years), Jetta 2000 atlantic blue
Tell them to buy you another one of equal quality. Even give them a couple to choose from. Don't sign anything until you get what you want, and complain to the state insurance commissioner if they don't even listen.

rdkern

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat 1997 silver (sold after 11 years), Jetta 2000 atlantic blue
Above said based on my situation of having more cars than I need. You will, of course, have to deal with your own reality. It's just frustrating that our society doesn't provide for reasonable solutions in many cases.

pastvast

TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
I'm glad you survived your crash with a SUV. If they determine the car is not totalled, you can choose if you want the repair money to do with as you choose or if you want to have it repaired. If it's totalled, they will quote what for a TDI not a non-TDI.

Here's my experience with insurance company and getting vehicle totaled. The vehicle I was driving was a dodge stratus and was hit by a SUV who didn't realize the red light was for him. The speed limits on both roads were 55mph... yup the stratus was totaled- even the SUV sustained some damage. Once police were on scene, they issued the SUV driver a ticket, had my vehicle towed away, and drove me to work. I called my insurance company that morning. By the afternoon they had a rep out there assessing damage. By end of day, we knew the car was totaled and they'd give us $6500 for it. That was way above KBB private party value, and much closer to Edmund's value for the car. In any case, we felt it was a more than fair offer. However, they did inform us that if we wanted to dispute what the process was. We had no problem with our insurance company recouping our deductible from the at-fault driver for us. On top of that, they paid for the time off work while dealing with the accident, doctor's bills, and even mileage going to the doctor. We were impressed with how quickly the insurance company reacted, especially since that company had the lowest rates (I get new quotes from other places once a year).

We didn't have a rental car policy. So... we had to get creative until we replaced the vehicle. Given how dependant we are on having 2 vehicles, that extra policy would be well worth it!!

Good luck and best wishes getting this all sorted!
-Stephanie

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
Do I want the insurance company to total the car or reparir? If they total will I only get the KBB not the "TDI market price"? KBB says mine is worth $12,785
If the engine is okay, then it will come down to body and suspension parts (and the airbag). The AC unit would be vulnerable to a hit on that side.

If the engine is not okay, then the car is a total loss. And as has been mentioned, you are in a good position to collect more than the KBB value. Just collect info on the last 10 or 20 TDIs that sold on eBay. Or if you can't find expired auctions, start collecting info right now.

tjl

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS
Airbag deployment + frame damage => you probably want it to be a total loss. If it gets fixed, don't be surprised if it has alignment and handling problems.

DPM

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2019 Rav4 AWD Hybrid, Citroen C4 BlueHDI
If it was mine, I wouldn't want it back/ repaired.
But in fact, it's not a hard repair- screen out, pull chassis, replace damaged parts at front corner. Sure that probably means everything including strut tower and lower arm mounts, but I'd reckon (over here in the UK, anyway) a bodyman who just happened to find a rear-damaged car could have that car driving again- ready to paint- in a weekend...

WantingaTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
VW Golf 03 TDI
If anyone has any leads on an 02-03 golf gls with same number of miles (50,000), i'd be very happy to take one off your hands! Or if you have prices you have sold a similar car for, let me know what they were so I have proof for the insurance company on retail value.

--thanks
ms

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
Is it possible to pay the salvage value, keep the car and get another Golf TDI? That way you'd have a good source of spare parts.

--Nate

WantingaTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
VW Golf 03 TDI
Sweet idea, I wish I had the space. I rent an apartment here. I am pretty sure the landloard wouldn't want a wreck on his lot. Good thought though. I'll let people know where the car goes if anyone else wants to part it out
<that's if they total it>

WEBDZL

Veteran Member
Just off the N.W.Ramp of the allmost finished 101
TDI
Golf,2004,red
We had a similar enconter with my daughters car they were about $1500.00 lower than market,So I told the person that was trying to setal the medical and hardship side of the claim that she would not be able to settle right away because of the headaches she would probable start having when she heres me complainning about the low setalment on the car next day she got a offer of $1500.00 more on the pain and suffering part of the claim and the papers were signed....also I found that the used TDI market is hard to deal with because there seems not to be vary many used and yes you can get a deal on new ones but there are about 10k higher and no GOLFS till next calendar year...goodluck....