02 ALH did not start this morning :-(

skyking1

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 beetle 2002 beetle
My wife's beetle turns over, chugs and smokes a little, but no start. Ran great when she parked it Saturday.
I will check valve and pump timing when I get home.
Any other suggestions?

nord

Veteran Member
TDI
All turned back to VW. Now a 2017 Hundai Tuscon. Not a single squalk in 10k miles.
Check valve on the fuel filter? Just had one on an '03.

skyking1

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 beetle 2002 beetle
Cool keep it coming. Wish I was home working on it now.
The brain always thinks of bad things like jumped timing. I like these suggestions much better. :)

Last edited:

skyking1

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 beetle 2002 beetle
WOOHOO!
I got home and started looking it over, and found the ASV valve was stuck closed. Once I freed it, it went several start/stop cycles with no problem.
So, what is the procedure for preventing that? Seems like there is enough engine oil in the intake system but maybe there is a lube to use on the shaft, etc?

Mako

Veteran Member
TDI
AMFPolo 1.4 TDI 100%Biodiesel, AHF Golf TDI 100% Biodiesel, AHF Golf TDI Wagon 100% Biodiesel, VW Syncro 3CT Kombi 100% Biodiesel, Corsa 1.7D 100% Biodiesel
Glow plugs will only operate at 9C despite what you see on the dash. They do stay on for a short time once it starts for emission reasons.
ASV valve stuck closed? Edit.........just saw you found it!

Last edited:

Genesis

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon
WOOHOO!
I got home and started looking it over, and found the ASV valve was stuck closed. Once I freed it, it went several start/stop cycles with no problem.
So, what is the procedure for preventing that? Seems like there is enough engine oil in the intake system but maybe there is a lube to use on the shaft, etc?
That'll do it.

Your intake is clogged up. Pull the EGR valve (on which the ASV is mounted) and have a look down the hole; I bet you don't like what you see.

Remove and clean the intake and EGR. It's a messy job but otherwise not bad. Do take care while doing it that you don't knock crud into the cylinders (the ports DO need to be cleaned); there are multiple threads on it here and multiple ways of cleaning the manifold. You need a couple of gaskets and an O-ring for the EGR mount, a couple of hours, and old clothes. :D

skyking1

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 beetle 2002 beetle
I have a cheat method for the intake job. I am installing a PD150 intake on my beetle, and I will soak the old manifold and clean it up at my leisure for the wife's beetle :)