01m oil level check

far_cry

Veteran Member
TDI
octavia 1.9 TDI alh
I have had an oil leak .how can i check the oil level and becuase there no stick to check with

The car drive normally and the trans shift as before the leak ,so there is nothing to wory about???

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
Pan or REAR cover? if it's slightly damp, no real drips it's fine if it's the pan. The rear cover for the diff only holds about .5L so if that leaks....It's checked by pulling the VSS.

CoolAirVw

Vendor
TDI
Jetta
What jason said is right, I'm just clarifying.

Trans has two oil levels. The differential section is filled seperatly from the transmission section. Differential holds a rediculously small amount of oil, like Jason said, but I think its spec is actually .7 Liter. Trans trade organizations suggest putting in 1 liter. If this section leaks it will rapidly destroy itself. Diff takes synthetic 75w-90.

If the main section of the trans leaks, as the trans ends up low it will usually have minor slips or bangs, which are not good but usually dont destroy the trans immediatly. It would be best to just check and correct the fluid level. The website in my signiture, in the 01m FAQ, shows how to check the fluid, in the area marked as "change fluid and filter".

Last edited:

far_cry

Veteran Member
TDI
octavia 1.9 TDI alh
will ,the leak was from an external radiator for the trans oil i installed .
he get hit with something and starts to throwing oil ,the hole was very tiny .
i would say that the amount of oil that leaked is about 1 liter~ .

the trans shifts normal or even better than before ,no slipping and no shifting kicks between gears
any way , as i know ,checking the oil level its done with the car running and in the air and opening the bolt ,if there an oil come out then its good, so is that so ??

sdeck

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta, 253K, 01M, DLC520s, VNT-17(sold); 2014 Passat SE 6M, 61,000 miles (Feb 16 buyback date)
the tranny pan drain plug is remove with the car level (on ground is tight but doable), running, in park, and with an ATF temp of something like 87F. I forget the exact number, but it is usually checked via VCDS. You can use a IR thermometer on the pan, but not sure how close it will be.

There should be a red plastic "stand pipe" up inside the drain hole. it is removed with an Allen wrench if you want to drain the fluid for a change, not for checking the level. It sticks up inside the pan a couple inches and is open at the top, allowing ATF to overflow into it and drain through the drain port. The volume the ATF takes up is highly dependent on temp, so that is why it is measured at a specific temp. What that means is the ATF level in the pan is that much higher than the bottom. Make sure it is there, but don't remove it unless you are changing fluid.

TDI me

TDI
2002 Jetta
What jason said is right, I'm just clarifying.

Trans has two oil levels. The differential section is filled seperatly from the transmission section. Differential holds a rediculously small amount of oil, like Jason said, but I think its spec is actually .7 Liter. Trans trade organizations suggest putting in 1 liter. If this section leaks it will rapidly destroy itself. Diff takes synthetic 75w-90.

If the main section of the trans leaks, as the trans ends up low it will usually have minor slips or bangs, which are not good but usually dont destroy the trans immediatly. It would be best to just check and correct the fluid level. The website in my signiture, in the 01m FAQ, shows how to check the fluid, in the area marked as "change fluid and filter".
Check and correct the fluid level, I looked on your site and did not find how to check the level. I found how to drain and refill the trans fluid, I didn't see about the gear lube, could you help me out with a link or pics? Thanks

DeafBug

Gone but Never Forgotten: Requiescat In Pace
TDI
2001 NB
It is the last step. Follow the instructions for drain and fill the tranny fluid. When you get to the end where it said, to warm up a cold engine to 35-45 degrees. Start there and that is where the Check and Correct the fluid level instructions start.

Or just come to my place and I would do it for you.

TDI me

TDI
2002 Jetta
It is the last step. Follow the instructions for drain and fill the tranny fluid. When you get to the end where it said, to warm up a cold engine to 35-45 degrees. Start there and that is where the Check and Correct the fluid level instructions start.

Or just come to my place and I would do it for you.
Thanks I'll keep you in mind. :)

Well I get a 404 error when i click "transmissions", I was looking under "how to change your filter", the other choices I see are:
How to change filter on 01M
http://www.kansascitytdi.com/01m%20Valve%20body%20removal.htm
How to remove valve body on 01M

How to remove 01m trans

01M Torque converter installed depth

01M failure analysis1

CoolAirVw

Vendor
TDI
Jetta
Oh, my its the dreaded "404 error" trouble code. Damn website triggers that error more than a 01ms triggers TCC codes....(good grief)

click "how to change filter on 01m". Then scroll to the bottom where it says "fill procedure". "fill procedure" and "checking the fluid" are the same thing" . Obviously you have use your head if your trans wasn't "drained for service", but usaully folks can figure it out. Do I really need to make a seperate section on "how to check the fluid"???

Last edited: