00290 can't get rid of this code

cochrank

TDI
2002 Jetta
Group,

Trying to find out some issues. I have a 2005.5 Jetta. I bough this used. There were plenty of little issues with it that I have worked through and finally down to this and the steering angle code (which I have been told will not go away until I get rid of ABS code). When I ran the codes at first it stated both ABS sensors popped. I replaced both and then took it for a drive. they did not clear. I thought maybe the ABS ring on the bearing were bad because they were both pretty rust since the dust shield rusted away on both of them (I have replaced these). So I decided to replace both rear bearings. After doing that the right side code went away but I still have the left.
00290 - ABS Wheel Speed Sensor Rear Left (G46): Electrical Fault in Circuit.

What could be the issue? I made sure the connection was tight and it is close to the wheel bearing. Wire doe not seem to be busted.

Anybody have a similar issue?

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 2005 BEW Beetle, 2005 Jetta Wagon
Only way to tell if it is not the wiring is to do a continuity check between the sensor and controller. Personally, I have never seen a electrical code issue for ABS other than the harness connector on the sensor end or the sensor itself but you can't rule out it being elsewhere. Where did you get the sensors? brand? Ebay?

Last edited:

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 2005 BEW Beetle, 2005 Jetta Wagon
If it is easy enough for you to extract the right one that you know is good, try swapping it over to the left side to see if that makes the code disappear. You don't even have to mount it. Just plug it in.

cochrank

TDI
2002 Jetta
Group. Just wanted to give an update. I found the issue. The issue was the connector. Could not figure it out, replaced with another and swapped with a known good one and still nothing. Then started looking at the connection and one of the wires in the back was corroded off at the brass fitting. I found this when I pulled on the back and the wire pulled out. Replace the connector and bingo. Code went away. Hope this helps someone else