A few updates. I've been doing a lot of maintenance stuff: charged the AC, replaced the leaky o-rings on the oil cooler, replaced ball joints, replaced a caliper and master/booster, etc... Old car junk.
I got sick of the constant vibrations from the garbage Bassett steelies, at least one of which had a barrel which was not concentric to its own center bore. Found some 15x7 ET38 OZ gravel turbofans, had them powdercoated silver, and applied new decals to the faces. I coupled those to 38mm spacers to achieve the same effective ET0 offset of the Bassetts. Mounted the same 215/75-15 General Grabbers.
I also revised my lift strategy: I wasn't satisfied with the way the metalnerd-style spacer preloaded the front springs, and there wasn't really any better way to lift the car using the stock strut mount configuration. I got a pair of Mk5 Jetta front strut mounts, welded the Mk4 spring hats to the Mk5 components in order to center the smaller-diameter top coil, and fabricated a simple double-flanged spacer to bolt between the mount and the body. The spacers are about 1-5/8" tall, which resulted in approximately the same amount of lift I had previously. There was some seam-sealer inside the strut towers which needed to be removed with a wire brush on the angle grinder, and then I drilled three holes in each strut tower to match the Mk5 mount's bolt holes. I used the same Moog springs, which are both thicker and taller than the original Beetle springs.
In the rear, I built a quick fixture which bolted to the beam and marked the locations of the spring perches and shock mounts, then hacked those mounts off the beam. I elevated the spring perches about an inch, and moved the shock mounts up about two inches (the longer Moog springs required an unhealthy amount of preload before I was able to bolt in the shocks - even now, they need to be compressed a couple inches.) I installed the beam with new Cupra R bushings, a homemade anti-roll bar, and new Bilstein shocks/struts (all the way around.)
Car rides properly now, and handling is far more neutral than it had been previously. It was hard to get a gauge on the handling with my old setup because so many of the components were completely shot - e.g. the struts/shocks and bushings. It used to understeer badly, but now it holds its line and will lift-off oversteer. Should be fun in the winter!
Pleased with the amount of rake it has - IIRC it measures 30.5" front and 31.5" rear at the fender lip. Should pull a trailer without dragging ass now.