Search results

1. K

Engine settings for optimum economy/power Golf Mk4 ALH

Have a VagCom and good with tools. Recent replacement of the 10mm IP means settings are no longer dialed in for optimum operation. Have a standard 2001 turbocharged Golf 1.9TDI manual shift with no chip modifications done nor wanted. The intake is clean, the EGR disabled, and the injectors...
  2. K

Crankcase speed sensor testing

PROBLEM SOLVED - Failing to find out if there was any way to test for a good crankcase speed sensor, sometimes called a crankcase position sensor, I purchased a new one and my car now starts again. I also now have a test to offer to others. Symptoms: Go to start the car and it sputters for...
  3. K

ALH Mk4 engine not starting - how increase fuel delivery

Deleted with solution provided at: Crankcase speed sensor testing
  4. K

on board computers VW Golf 2001 ALH Mk4

deleted
  5. K

IP harness bypass to idle car during troubleshooting

Understand there is a way to jumper the pins on the IP in order to be able to start up a car; essentially bypassing any harness and computer caused issues. Understand it will only run at idle; but, that would be a good start since my car won't start with new commercially-rebuilt IP and...
  6. K

rebuilt IP - engine won't start

7. K

IP nut sizes/sources

deleted
  8. K

ALH MKIV-A4 Golf cranks, sputters, then quits

9. K

Mk4 ALH Jetta auto: runs only a few secs until reach 180F water temp then all is OKay

Brother's 200K ALH engine VW Jetta automatic will start and run for a few seconds before it quits. He can restart the engine over and over again with it staying on by a few more seconds each time. It runs longer if he can keep the RPM above idle while allowing it to reach idle means dead...
  10. K

Engine stops 3-6 seconds after start until warmed up

Deleted - Moved to General Discussion since on this forum it was receiving no attention.
  11. K

Turbo oil supply lines - to restrict or not?

There are a couple of threads relating to issues with the turbo oil supply line; some call for restrictors and some not. I am replacing my #$%^& hard line with a braided one with standard easily obtainable end connectors. That means replacing the existing adaptors to ones with AN4 male ends...
  12. K

Mk4 ALH suspected turbo bearing failure - need info

Was driving up a steep climb to a low pass and experienced severe reduction of power, smoke out exhaust, and a squeal followed by a rattle that sounded like a bearing failure. The car will drive a short distance while smoking with the noise intermittent. I installed a tow hitch and towed the...
  13. K

Loss of power lots of smoke - solved

First, thanks to all of you on this site for your sharing of experiences. It is now my turn! I started experiencing rough engine operation, followed by difficulty in engine starting, and ultimately lots of smoke when I was able to power up. Oh how I wished there was someone to warn me of...
  14. K

fuel temperature sensor permanent modification

Have a 2001 Golf Mk4 TDI manual shift hatchback. I run biodiesel in the main and filtered waste cooking oil with 10% gasoline in an auxillary tank. The VW stock filter is the double-cost unit with a "T" to recycle IP-warmed fuel into the filter when below 80F and then back to the tank. I...
  15. K

$100 prize to provide way to eliminate immobilizer and need for chip key

Deleted - see my post for solution "Bypassing expensive keys"
  16. K

What $ get you what at TDIFest 2010?

I deleted my posting finding this forum has no way to clean out useless threads.
  17. K

Golf iV TDI manual transmission oil change

Questions pertaining to a VW Golf Mod4 TDI 1.9L engine MANUAL TRANSMISSION OIL: 1) What is the capacity? 4.3 pints 2) What is the specification? (Am planning to replace with AmsOil.) AmsOil 75W-90 3) Manual infers a 100K change interval; is that okay? probably 4) MAIN QUESTION...
  18. K

Cut-in fuel filter return line temperature valve

My 2001 Golf IV TDI has a fuel return routed over/through the fuel filter. I am told there is a temperature triggered valve that redirects the return fuel into the filter to heat it up when cold. The injector pump operation increases the fuel temperature; so, this is one way to ungel the...
  19. K

Donut Tire for Golf IV

VW 2001 Golf IV TDI - want a small/donut spare tire to replace the full sized spare which fits the bolt pattern, brake system, and provides sufficient road clearance as I hobble to the nearest tire store. The tire I have is 195/65R15, rim size 6Jx15 ET47, bolt pattern 5x100, thread M14 x 1.5...
  20. K

How the chip key car LOCK works (innards and operation)

Deleted - see my post for solution "Bypassing expensive keys"