Search results

1. That Guy

Carbon Fiber body parts - Worth it?

Hey guys, So i find myself needing to replace my rear hatch on my 2001 Golf for maybe the fourth time. First time was due to getting rear-ended in 2005. (nothing too bad, but hatch apparently needed to be replaced.) Second was shortly after that due to rust from a **** install job at the body...
  2. That Guy

Rear washer works, front does not

Hey guys, It's been a few years since I last posted anything here. Haven't had any issues that I couldn't fix...until now. So my windshield washer pump stopped working the other day on my MKiv 2001 Golf TDI. I checked the fuse, and it was okay. (Actually the front wipers and the washer...
  3. That Guy

ABS always triggering at low speed

Hey guys, I've got an odd problem in my 2001 MKIV Golf that I'm hoping someone has seen before... Lately when I'm stopping, the ABS comes on just before the car stops, almost every time. By "comes on", I mean that it starts pumping the brakes like it does when the car is sliding on ice when...
  4. That Guy

Car Seat Covers

Hey guys, I'm looking around for some seat covers for my 2001 Golf. Cover King seems to have quality and support issues. Wet Okole's seats are apparently sweat traps in summer. And some people have had quality issues with how fast they wear out and fade. Decor Auto seems to have good...
  5. That Guy

Odd grinding noise when turning left

Hi guys, Just wanted to bounce this off you... Every once in a while when I'm turning left, the front right side makes a grinding noise. Very noticeable and you can feel the vibration a bit too. It's a pretty rare event, but it just happened again yesterday so I thought I'd start a post on...
  6. That Guy

Gov of Alberta wants your opinion on driving related issues

Hey guys, If you live in Alberta you may want to take this survey they have going. https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/BN2TLYF :)
  7. That Guy

Blinking headlights

Hi guys, I'm looking to see if anyone has had this problem before. I have some ideas but wanted to throw it out there. Here's the issue..... The car: 2001 MKIV Golf TDI When signalling, braking, or anything that draws some extra current, the headlights dim or blink off and on a second...
  8. That Guy

A4 Timing belt, Stripped VC bolt, and Engine Support Bar

Hi guys, I'm doing a timing belt change...my first...and I have some questions. First off... I am using a write-up by Drivebiwire, and one from MyTurboDiesel.com. Along with some info done up by WingNut. I have the MetalNerd TB tool kit and the DieselGeek TB kit. I've used ramps for...
  9. That Guy

Simple Clutch question

Hi guys, This is probably a dumb question, but... I was just doing some work on the car an noticed this....should I be able to see into the clutch? Shouldn't there be a rubber plug in there or something? Picture borrowed from Myturbodiesel.com
  10. That Guy

How tough is your VW?

I'm not sure anyone has created a thread for this yet....although I have seen many individual threads about various types of damage done to our beloved VWs. These cars seem pretty tough all around. So I'm curious about the stories that are out there.....specifically non-wear and tear...
  11. That Guy

Odd Tisk Tisk noise on cold start

Hi guys and gals, For the last few years my 2001 Golf has been making a slight Tisk Tisk Tisk noise when I start it up. The noise goes away after the engine warms up a bit. And it isn't there if the engine is warm already....after it has been run before, or on really warm days. It seems...
  12. That Guy

3 year oil change?

My wife told me this morning that one of her co-workers gets his oil changed every 3 years. He drives a BMW of some type. It has about 7 Liters of oil....most of ours use about 4 to 5 L. Apparently every three years he brings it in to the dealer have the oil and plugs changed....for about...
  13. That Guy

73mm x 57.1 mm Aluminium Hubcentric Rings for Sale

I just bought these and found that they don't fit my new wheels....thanks to some bad info from the shop I bought the wheels from. (Turns out I needed 66.06 mm...instead of 73 mm.) I'll try and post a picture of them later. They are 57.1 mm inner diameter which fits all VAG vehicles...except...
  14. That Guy

Which Clutch to Use

Hi guys, I've been thinking about my clutch again recently. It's been slipping at WOT for a few months, but with normal driving it seems okay...so far. With winter coming I'm expecting the really cold weather to increase the slippage. In any case, I've narrowed my choices down to: SBC...
  15. That Guy

Where to buy a new CCM

Hi guys and gals.... I need to replace the Comfort Control Module in my 2001 Golf. The relay on it is bad. I could just replace the relay...but it sounds like a real PITA. Plus I figure it might be good to just get a whole new CCM to avoid any other potential problems that I've seen other...
  16. That Guy

Signal Light Stays on

Hi guys, I did some searching on this but couldn't find anything directly related to my issue. I'm wondering if anyone here has seen this problem and knows what is causing it....... Yesterday while driving I turned on the left signal and it blinked once, then just stayed on. (2001 Golf...
  17. That Guy

Diesel Hammer

Saw this on TV. I never knew how those pile drivers worked before. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yL_K7F3mXvg&feature=related It's basically the same as a piston in a diesel engine. They squirt some diesel in and bash it with a "huge" cylindrical piece of metal. This ignites the...
  18. That Guy

Hybrid Privilege

Okay...now I'm pissed. There are reserved parking spaces for Handicapped, taxis, McDonald's takeout, and pregnant women....but Hybrids!!! ***! I saw these the other day....Parking spots with Hybrid only signs. I'm fine with the odd hybrid driver who is super smug...I can easily ignore...
  19. That Guy

How much have you spent on your VW?

So I finally got around to going over all the receipts for anything I've ever had done to the car or anything I've bought for the car. So general maintenance and service, repairs, mods, tires, wheels, special tools, etc. I haven't added in my fuel costs yet... But here's where I'm at...
  20. That Guy

Replacing the clutch

Hi guys, Does anyone know of a good DYI clutch replacement walkthrough. My clutch is going again so I'm going to be getting a new one...maybe the SBC Stage 2 Endurance with a 14lb smf. But I'd like to do the replacement myself this time...so I'm looking for a good instructional...