Search results

1. R

Transmission drain and fill

Zak, It has 140K on it and the trans fluid has never been changed. I'm a bit worried about doing a complete change; I want to see if there are any deleterious effects with the partial. I also don't have a good place to work, and no alternative transportation if something does wrong. Did this...
  2. R

You are both suggesting overfilling the transmission. PakPro, I can see how a little extra would protect the tranny, but how much over? And why does it hurt the gas mileage?
  3. R

2002 Beetle TDI, 1.9L, automatic transmission. If I do a drain and refill, assuming the fluid is at the proper level, about how much will drain out?
  4. R

Search parameters

How can I get the search engine to find a specific phrase, such as "power steering fluid capacity"? I've tried Boolean searches and putting it in parentheses, but neither works.
  5. R

Window noise

Just yesterday my driver side window started making a noise going up and down. It sounds like someone walking on broken glass (the window is not broken). Is this the sound of the regulator going out?
  6. R

Wiring Harness Unicorn

Jef said: I would not bother with a used one from a Beetle, high rate of failures. However, the ones from Jetta and Golf vehicles of the same error, way lower rate of failure and if...
  7. R

tips for fuel economy

Here in Sacramento, we also have THAT GUY, which is why I pause at least 3 seconds before starting through an intersection.
  8. R

Wiring Harness Unicorn

For that price I can have a harness made. Which is probably what I'll have to do.
  9. R

Wiring Harness Unicorn

I have a 2002 Beetle, 1.9 TDI ALH, auto trans. I recently replaced the alternator. The fusebox on the battery also fried, and I was advised to replace the alternator wiring harness too. The problem is, they don't exist. VW doesn't make them anymore (Original part number is 1C0 971 349H). No...
  10. R

tips for fuel economy

For how long? Do I want to do it repeatedly in short bursts, or in one long burn?
  11. R

tips for fuel economy

From the original post. So I have a dumb question: How should I do this 'Italian tune up'? My 2002 Beetle TDI has an automatic transmission; I'd know how to do this in a stick. Should I downshift it for a certain amount of time? Or should I go over 80 mph (which on the highway around here...
  12. R

Driver's side door lock

I'm just using the valet key.
  13. R

Driver's side door lock

Actually, I don't want a fob if I can help it. They take up too much room in my pocket, they're expensive, and that switchblade key is fragile.
  14. R

Driver's side door lock

I have a 2002 Beetle. The driver's door is the only one with a key lock. I don't have a fob remote. I can't get the key into the lock at all. There's a little white cover that's supposed to move out of the way to let the key insert, but it isn't budging. The door opens just fine, and the...
  15. R

Tire size suggestion

Very helpful chart, freebuilder. I also haven't figured in the slight change in the odometer reading, which will actually be 1.3% off. May be better to stick to OEM; I'm not sure if the the difference will be noticeable anyway.
  16. R

tips for fuel economy

Which Ecopia?
  17. R

Tire size suggestion

Several FE threads have suggested taller and narrower LRR. I have the stock wheels, and tire size is 205/55R16. So would I want a 225/50r16, or a 195/60R16?
  18. R

tips for fuel economy

Some of the these techniques are only useful in a manual. My 2002 NB is an automatic. Since I drive like Grandma (5 car lengths back, 2 mph over the highway speed limit [right lane of course]), my mileage is as high as 41 mpg. I'd like to get that up, sure, without making extreme mods. It...
  19. R

Alternate / New scan tools, eg: XTool, Autel

There are other cheap scanners that are similar. I don't know how the OP needs to do, but any scanner is going to have a learning curve. As for me, the Ross-Tek is too much information for me to process.