Search results

1. P

Cranking while Jumping Battery to Prime Fuel Pump

WTH lol. You poured automatic transmission fluid into your fuel filter housing? I'm glad your engine burned through it without any problems.
  2. P

If you drained and cleaned the canister how did you prime it? Did you run the priming cycle via VCDS or you just put the filter in, poured fuel into the canister, and then sealed it up?
  3. P

Thanks! I'll make sure to seal the housing before I turn the ignition 😉 When this is done, I've heard it's wise to look for bits of metal flakes in the filter housing as this can indicate if the fuel pump needs to be replaced. Any thoughts?
  4. P

Hi Everyone, I didn't see a general maintenance type forum anywhere so I just posted in here given my model. If I set out to replace my fuel filter, but do not have a computer with VCDS or Vagcom that I could use to send a command to prime the pump, is there any downside to just hooking my...
  5. P

Anybody use Propel HPR in a BEW....

That is a pretty large document you found there. I do concede RD is less energy dense by volume; my initial assumption that it wasn't was based on the unfounded assumption petroleum diesel did not contain aromatics. For some reason I thought petro companies fractioned off all the naptha and...
  6. P

The difference between biodiesel vs D2 and RD vs D2 is much greater and more noticeable. The energy density of biodiesel is significantly diminished vs both RD and D2. It looks like on avg RD has about 8% less mass per volume, but about 2-3% more joules per mass. Theoretically that would result...
  7. P

100,000 miles since oil change. Dont be like me.

Being thrifty always pays off the most when you destroy a 10K car to save a 10$ filter. Education is very valuable.
  8. P

Renewable diesel

Hi Matt, which station is this?
  9. P

Replacing/Programing Keys

Thank you for the replies! Luckily I found a spare key! Now the first thing I will do is make a copy of it and program the new copy using the old key. For future reference the vag tacho software also coughs up general fault codes as well?
  10. P

You should also take note that your source cites RD as having more energy per unit mass, eventhough it has less mass per unit volume. The quality of petroleum diesel I believe varies widely; I have certainly used petroleum diesel in the past where I noticed decreased mileage over other fuel...
  11. P

I was not convinced by that image so I found a peer reviewed publication that supports it here: https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s12155-020-10183-y However it appears the above article only used a single sample of RD and PD for each; RD is most likely going to be very similar no matter...
  12. P

This is not accurate https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/hydrocarbon-boiling-melting-flash-autoignition-point-density-gravity-molweight-d_1966.html Here is a list of the density of all alkanes from methane all the way past C32. Biotic fatty acids are primarily C16 and C18, which is thus the...
  13. P

Propel Fuels has their own app. It's free, can find it on the app store. Getting 50+ mpg I can drive all over CA from SF to LA and still always fill up at one right off the highway. By now I know where my go to stations are; Propel doesn't seem to be adding many/any new ones. 76 I don't know if...
  14. P

U.S. Comeback?

If VW made a diesel hybrid that would be my top choice for a new car. They could get around emissions laws by just having the electric motor compensate power when needed to cut down on NOx.
  15. P

Changing DSG Transmission Oil

Is it basically the same procedure as shown here: He says it's identical for Mk7's; but I assume the difference is just things like how exactly the battery, screws and other things are positioned. Any thoughts?
  16. P

Replacing/Programing Keys

I wasn't sure if I should put this in the OBD scanner forum or specific to my model or where, so I figured I'd just post it here. I lost my key. In fact I think I threw it out with the garbage on accident. My only key. I should have had a spare, but I don't. It's a 2010 Jetta SW if that...
  17. P

Renewable diesel is Diesel # 2. It meets the same ASTM specification as petroleum diesel #2, ASTM D975. So in regards to the above "high cetane" comment, irrespective of it not being accurate in premise, you can have ASTM D975 fuels with higher or lower cetane, and they are all 'Diesel # 2.'...