Search results

1. J

96 Green B4 Sedan parts available in central NY state, engine good

I pulled my 96 Passat TDI into the woods for a parts car now, so I have some parts available. Big parts would require you coming here to pick up. Small parts I can ship. I am planning on holding onto the alternator and the cluster. Engine and transmission are good (bit of a boost leak...
  2. J

1996 B4 sedan for sale 1K$

Green 96 B4 sedan for sale. Runs, drives, stops. Needs Work! Lots of power, turbo works fine. New injectors. Timing belt/water pump in 2016, due again in 10k. New coolant and coolant flange this year. Leaks/burns a little oil but no puddles underneath. New brake lines to rear. Rotors...
  3. J

My steering rack is tired, should I risk a 7k mile road trip?

Hi, my 97 B4 has a steering rack that is getting old. It is hard to steer at low speeds and when stopped makes the belt chirp, and groans when steering in one direction. It of course is fine once moving more than 10mph. I have replaced the pump, which didn't help much. Fluid is newer correct...
  4. J

b4 rear brake question

I am wondering if anyone knows if you can remove the rear rotors (discs) from the b4 by taking only the caliper off...or do you need to remove the bracket as well? I've got some rusted bolts back there on my 97.
  5. J

testing 4 wire coolant temp. sensor on 1Z

Does anyone know how to test the 4 wire coolant temp sensor on a 1z engine? If it was a 2 wire it would be easy...but which plugs do I test? I am troubleshooting a hard to start/smoke condition. Found 1 glow plug bad, replaced...unplugged coolant temp sensor and have power to harness. It just...
  6. J

Relay for trunk release

I am trying to troubleshoot a semi-working trunk release on my 96 B4. It does some weird stuff when you press it, like lighting up the dash near the odometer, and IIRC the center brake light. I pulled the relay near the switch and it looks corroded. The one in there is made in Japan and I am...
  7. J

My wife lost last key for her B4

My wife lost the last key for her 96 b4 a few days ago. The car is unlocked. Does anyone know any easy tricks for getting it running? Would it be crazy to wire in a switch for the ignition and a push button for the starter? I am not really tempted to fix it the right way myself, because it...
  8. J

Surging under full throttle B4

I just changed my N75 out for a new Pierburg unit because the car was going into limp mode under partial load at higher RPM, and every once in a while under full throttle. The old one was plugged, so I may be able to clean it up for use as a backup. However now the car surges at full throttle...
  9. J

Mechanic replacing rear axle bushings

I am having a mechanic replace my rear axle bushings. He wants to take the whole rear subframe off and replace all brake lines and hoses. Do you all think this makes sense? I like the idea of replacing the hoses, since I already did the ones by the rear wheel, and then they would all be done...
  10. J

Shifter linkage play

I have been having this issue with my silver b4, 253k mi. Over the course of a few weeks it became more difficult to get into 2nd and 4th gear, and if not deliberate about shifting it would either pop out or go into this in-between space where it grinds. I changed the fluid, which helped...
  11. J

is there another way to fill transmission oil?

My fill plug for my 97 B4 was really in there and starting to round out when I tried to get it out. Is there another way to get fluid in? Like the speed sensor? If so, how hard is it to remove for filling?
  12. J

Rear axle nut torque

I am replacing the rear brakes on my B4 sedan. Does anyone know the torque for the axle nut?
  13. J

b4 sedan sway bar bushings

I started in on this job hoping it would fix the creaking sound over small bumps at low speed. I replaced the ring on the end and the small bushings where that mounts to the control arm. I was looking at the bushing farther inboard and it looks a little tight. I took the bolt off that holds...
  14. J

clunking axles

I was driving to get parts to get my silver one back on the road and my green one had a sudden failure of the cv joint/left front axle. I was able to limp it to the store and home but it was thunking like crazy. It was thunking loud when maintaining speed or slowing down, and quieted down...
  15. J

exhaust removal advice

I am working on replacing the flex pipe on my 97 b4s. My friend has a welder, and we are trying to remove the down pipe from the turbo. We removed the axle for access, and the bolts are still stuck pretty well. We have heated them up with a propane torch and tried to remove with a ratchet...
  16. J

replacing injection pump seals

I have a leak on my injection pump (97 B4). It is leaking out the front of the pump right below where the black box with wires is. I think this is the body to quantity adjuster seal...am I right? I am in the process of watching the video that includes all the seals, but am thinking of just...
  17. J

B4 ran for 2 minutes without oil

My wife borrowed my car for a road trip yesterday. Along the way she lost oil and heard the buzzer/oil light, but couldn't pull over for a couple of minutes. What are the chances the engine/turbo is still OK? Apparently the temperature gauge never went up, and it was running more or less...
  18. J

vent selector disconnected

My 97 b4 has an issue with the vent selector on the climate control. Moving the dial from defrost through all the other settings changes nothing. It is stuck on face only...I could really use a little feet and defrost this time of year. So I looked at the back of the climate control board in...
  19. J

Does B4 front door fit in back of car?

Does anyone know if a front door from a B4 sedan fits inside the rear doors for transport? I am thinking of picking one up from a junkyard.
  20. J

Are the alternators same? 98 Jetta and 96 B4

Can anyone confirm that a 98 Jetta tdi alternator would be the same as a 96 B4 tdi alternator?