Search results

1. S

Is there a brake pad indicator warning light?

I was taking off the winter tires this afternoon and noticed that the brake pads seemed to be a bit thin. Considering how many sensors the MK7 has - do the north American models have a brake pad warning sensor? I glanced at the owners manual didn't see anything about it (unless I missed it)
  2. S

Battery failed - can I replace it without VCDS?

My battery has been getting weaker over the past week. Thinking that I was taking it for too short of trips because of the lock down - I put it on a trickle charger overnight and it started without hesitation. I tried starting it this AM and it barely turned over. This battery went down hill...
  3. S

Leaking coolant- options moving forward

Started to leak coolant - if it is the waterpump, should I replace the timing belt also? I'm at 110000 miles right now. Any mid- michigan shop recommendations ? What would be a fair cost for water pump or water pump + timing belt replacement ?
  4. S

Anyone familiar with New Hampshire emission testing?

Let me clarify (my mistake, didn't have my coffee this AM) Have a 2015 that has no aftermarket mods and never received the diesel gate "fixes" (phase 1and 2). There are no check engine lights on. In its current form would it pass NH testing?
  5. S

Storing summer tires over winter - psi?

I've put my winter tires on for the season and washed my OEM rims and tires for winter storage in the climate controlled basement. The summer tires are nothing special - general all season - Continental Purecontact LS tires (225/40 R18). Recommended tire pressure is 38 PSI, what is the...
  6. S

Temporary fix (or tricks) for drain bolt oil leak

I noticed that I have developed an oil leak around the oil pan drain bolt. Its not a significant leak, but enough to leave 2-3 drops of oil on the garage floor every now and then. I know to best solution is to replace the oil pan, but right now I don't have the time to do that on this oil...
  7. S

Proper tire pressure for snow tires

I replaced my 225/40 R18 OEM wheels/tires with 205/55 R16 rims and Michelin X-ice3 tires for the winter. Any suggestions on the tire pressure? I couldn't find a consensus on a recommended pressure (max-50psi). The recommended pressure for the 225/40R18 were 38 psi, not sure if I should use...
  8. S

What body parts/ unibody are galvanized on the MK7 golf?

Tried to search - but the best I came up with is when the galvanizing started at VW. The 2015 brochure lists that the corrosion protection is 12 years/ unlimited miles, which seems to indicate that the unibody frame and the metal body panels are coated. But I'm not sure.
  9. S

Suggestions on fuel filter

Its time to replace the fuel filter, so I thought I would pick one up from ID parts, but there are 2 available 1. UFI brand $23 2. OEM brand at at $37 I *think* they are the same - and would be OK with either. Where are you getting your filter from?
  10. S

Modern TDI's consume more oil in very cold temps?

Modern TDI's consume more oil in very cold temps? UPDATE drain plug leak! I just checked my oil level and it dropped by a considerable amount. I change my oil every 10,000 mi and I use recommended 505/507 Mobil ESP 5w30. This is my second winter with the TDI, and I have never had to consider...
  11. S

Picture request

Picture/ Info request I was on the ID parts website and noticed that they sell 20mm rubber grommets They say that these are frequently removed when towing the car and I wanted to check if I have them - but does anyone have a picture of where these rubber seals should be located on the underside?
  12. S

Winter tire/ rim combo recommendation?

I have about 50K on the OEM all season tires that came with the Golf (18" SEL rims). For the first 2 seasons the tires performed well in the winter snow. So as this winter approached I didn't think twice. Well we had our first significant snow of this season and although there seems to be a...
  13. S

Tire rotation time

I have the original tires - Bridgestone Potenza RE97AS on the car and I would like to rotate them. Can anyone confirm that they are non-directional (asymmetrical)- so I can cross rotate? I looked on the tire but I couldn't find any arrows or markings that would indicate that they need to be...
  14. S

Is it too late?

Considering the fix- not sure if I have missed timeline to register for the fix.
  15. S

great... just threw a P0478 error code: exhaust flapper stuck open error

If I understand correctly the 2010-2014's are covered by an extended warranty on this particular TSB- does anyone know if the same warranty applies to 2015 models? Damn - the car was doing so well....
  16. S

Symptoms of gasoline running in a modern TDI?

Went to the fuel station this evening and put about 11.5 gallons of diesel into the tank. A little bit of the fuel dripped out so I wiped it off, however, it smelled like gasoline. I checked the pump and I definitely used the diesel pump- but it still smelled like regular gasoline. I asked the...
  17. S

EA288 design question

Does the EA288 engine have only a low pressure EGR circuit? The 'study manual' released by VW (thats referenced so often) seems to indicate that previous engine models had a high pressure circuit only, while the EA288 has only the low pressure circuit (page 50) that comes off post DPF...
  18. S

What would you do?

I bought my TDI used and to my surprise it had first three service oil / oil filter changes pre-paid. So today I brought my TDI in for its 20K service and while at home reviewing the invoice I saw that they replaced the oil this (6qt of ZVW-352-540-SB-DSP). Here is the oil the code is bringing...
  19. S

Whats worse on a car- crystalized road salt vs constant exposure to brine?

I live in the great lakes so I have lost a lot of cars to rust. I recently bought a MK7 golf TDI which I plan on keeping, and I want to ask whats is more prone to creating rust- road salt dried on the body (and frame) or metal that is constantly exposed salty water. If I plan on washing and...
  20. S

Seat cushion recommendations?

I just took a moderate road trip (about 4 hours, first of many) in my mk7 golf SEL. As a daily driver the seats are fine. However, I found out that after about 3 hours my tailbone become very sore. That night, it was uncomfortable to sleep on my back. Any recommendations for a seat cushion...