Search results

1. Cailean

FS: 1997 Jetta TDI - 289905 kms

This car has been my commuter for about 4 years... I'm an honest guy, so here's the anti-sales pitch: motor and mechanicals are strong (as far as an amateur like me can tell) I've never had the TB done, so I have no idea how long it's been the body is rusting out... some trim bits are missing...
  2. Cailean

What does a bad wheel bearing sound like?

My 97 Jetta TDI has developed a low whine or hum that increases with speed (not revs). It sounds like I've got winter tires on - but I don't. Does this sound like a wheel bearing? Something else?
  3. Cailean

Confirm MAF failure?

I've done all the searching and reading about MAF, smoke and low power that I can - I just need your help to pull it all together. Symptoms: lots of black smoke under medium/hard acceleration. lack of power in the upper range. (not limp mode - dealt with that last year with a new N75)...
  4. Cailean

'Limp Mode' Troubleshooting in KW/Cambridge

Hey folks, I need to perform the steps described here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=75959 If anyone in the KW/Cambridge area has done this before - and has the necessary tools - I'd appreciate the help. Unfortunately, I'm a bit pressed for time too. The car is going into the...
  5. Cailean

Need an avatar?

couldn't think of a better place to put this... If anyone wants an avatar like mine, let me know... I can do different colours, too...
  6. Cailean

Importing Diesels from Europe?

I hate the fact that the other manufacturers don't bring their diesels here... I wonder how crazy expensive it would be to import, say, a diesel Chrysler minivan from Germany, for example - even a used one. (the growing family won't fit in anything at my VW dealership...) Any one have any...
  7. Cailean

TheRenewablePlanet.com

A new site launched today (TheRenewablePlanet.com) that lets you search and browse renewable energy project around the globe - including BioDiesel. (Press Release) Users can add their own projects (theirs, or ones they know about) so let's get all those BD co-ops and manufacturers in there. I...
  8. Cailean

What bloody oil can I use? Please just tell me!

I promise I've searched & read & searched & read the FAQ & searched again, and am more confused than ever. So, just tell me, straight up. Can I use the oil I'm using or not? If not, what can I use? (btw, you can spare me the VW elitist 'only the best will do' rhetoric) Here's what I just put...
  9. Cailean

1997 Canadian Jetta TDI Confusion

I've seen various references to the 97 Canadian Jettas (here & here, for example) and am still a little confused... near as I can tell, VW ran parallel lines of Jetta Diesels, 1Z & AAZ -- how do I know which mine is? Or is the TDI badge enough to assume that it is a 1Z engine...
  10. Cailean

First DIY oil change...

So I finally completed my first DIY oil change... everything went well. I was rather over-due for the change because I'd been trying to find the time to do it myself, so the oil was very black - like black paint! Even after the change, the oil on my dipstick looks quite black... Should I do...
  11. Cailean

Wonky turn signal...

About a month ago, my right turn signal lost its mind... It flashes in double time 90% of the time. When the car is cold and the RPM low, it flashes with a short on, long off rhythm... The other 5% of the time, it acts normally. All this time, the left is fine, as are the 4-ways... I...
  12. Cailean

Limp mode - highway speed only

My 97 Jetta goes into limp mode whenever (and only when) I cruise at highway speeds (120kmh, 2600 rpm in 5th) for more than about 10 minutes... Anyone know which of the various causes of overboost is most likely to be the culprit?