Search results

1. Mike_04GolfTDI

Random Engine Hesitation

Edit/Spoiler: Just to help anyone reading this in the future, the solution turned out to be a new crankshaft position sensor. In case you don’t want to read to post #75 to find that conclusion. Also see post #71 for how I confirmed that the crankshaft position sensor was occasionally giving a...
  2. Mike_04GolfTDI

DEF Shortage

Has anyone noticed it is virtually impossible to buy DEF? Every store seems to have an empty space where the DEF would be.
  3. Mike_04GolfTDI

Aftermarket truck mods pollute as much as 9 million extra pickups

https://arstechnica.com/cars/2020/12/truck-emissions-mods-pollute-more-than-dieselgate-epa-says/
  4. Mike_04GolfTDI

Well, I’ve replaced by TDI

Well, I’ve replaced my TDI After 16 years of pure diesel enjoyment, I decided to get something a little different. A new Golf R! It’s Lapiz Blue with the black styling package and 7 speed DSG. It’s a 2019 model, which is the last year for the Mk7.5 R in North America. I had considered...
  5. Mike_04GolfTDI

Jetta Circus Driving

LOL, which one of you guys is this: https://youtu.be/WPAMLPx583I?t=7m15s (Watch from 7:15... Link should take you there) From the smoke, it must be tuned. Looks lifted too. Cool trick.
  6. Mike_04GolfTDI

Micro Switch Recall

Today a notice arrived in the mail saying that a recall has been issued for a possible faulty microswitch in the shift lever mechanism of certain 2015 to 2019 Volkswagens. This may make it possible to remove the key from the ignition when the shift lever is not in the “Park” position. If the...
  7. Mike_04GolfTDI

High-severity vulnerability in vBulletin is being actively exploited

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2019/09/public-exploit-code-spawns-mass-attacks-against-high-severity-vbulletin-bug/ The patch for this was released only yesterday. What is the status of TDI Club's software? This should be of concern to anyone who has any personal information...
  8. Mike_04GolfTDI

Okay to Clamp Brake Lines?

Like the title says, is it okay to clamp brake lines shut while changing a caliper? The instructions that came with the caliper say to do it, but I’m a little wary of doing that.
  9. Mike_04GolfTDI

Overheating 1000km From Home

So first off, we're back on the road and it seems okay now. Earlier today, when setting out to drive from Calgary to Vancouver, the 2015 TDI decided to start overheating. The temperature gauge was at the top and a warning appeared on the dash. We pulled over and I saw nothing unusual under the...
  10. Mike_04GolfTDI

Key Adaptation

I got my key fob wet and even after drying out the internals, it seems to have gone haywire. Pressing any button simply causes the red light to flash endlessly and doesn’t work. A new battery didn’t help. It’s fried. I have all the original keys that came with the car, and a tag with a code...
  11. Mike_04GolfTDI

DSG Fluid Level

Does anybody have any idea how much difference it makes if you allow the DSG fluid to drain out with the engine running or not running during a fluid change? Engine is supposed to be running while checking temperature and draining fluid but I just can't remember if I might have shut it off...
  12. Mike_04GolfTDI

Had an Awful Scare - PD Cam Hub Bolt Torque?

About two weeks ago I rebuilt my engine. I've driven it 1000km since then and it has been running perfectly. (This is the 2004 PD by the way, not the 2015, as you may have guessed) I was following a break-in procedure, so I hadn't given it full throttle or revved to redline in all that...
  13. Mike_04GolfTDI

Double Posts

Suddenly, everything I post today gets double posted after a long delay.
  14. Mike_04GolfTDI

I think I found my ticking noise....

For those who haven't seen my recent threads on the aftermath of a timing belt failure, I put a new timing belt kit, and a new head on my engine. The exhaust valves had hit the pistons when the belt failed, but the intake valves did not leave a mark at all. Well, I took my new head off again...
  15. Mike_04GolfTDI

Piston Ring End Gap

I'm going to be replacing my pistons along with new rings this weekend. (2004 TDI) I understand the importance of checking the end-gap on the rings when building any non-standard engine, for example if it has been bored and the rings are oversize, it might be necessary to file the ends to...
  16. Mike_04GolfTDI

BEW Pistons

Apparently it is impossible to buy pistons for the North American PD100 TDI also known as the BEW engine. If you wanted to replaced the pistons and rods, are there suitable replacements available? I've done some searching, and found that the pistons aren't available, but no definitive answer...
  17. Mike_04GolfTDI

Pumpe Duse Cam Hub Puller

What do you think, is this going to work? I whipped up a cam hub puller for my BEW engine. Still have to drill some holes in the three little "arms" that stick out. I'll do that the first time I use it, when I can hold it up to the hub to see the bolt pattern. For those who aren't sure...
  18. Mike_04GolfTDI

Engine Knock

I recently put a new head on my engine after a timing belt failure. (http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=488492) Initially, the engine sounded "fine" but I'm sure I hear a knocking that isn't supposed to be there. It gets slightly worse when the engine is fully warmed up. Have a...
  19. Mike_04GolfTDI

Uploading Photos

Is there a problem with the photo gallery? I've uploaded photos many times in the past, so I know how to do it. For the last few days I get a message saying the image was uploaded successfully, but then there's nothing added to my album. Somethin' ain't right....
  20. Mike_04GolfTDI

Car Died. Fun Times.

Well, 2004 TDI lost power on the highway during acceleration. Got to a safe spot and now it won't start. Waiting for tow truck. Boost pipes are all connected. No codes at all. Cranks but won't fire. In tank pump works. Glow plug light turns on with key as normal. While still on highway I...