Search results

1. sptsailing

2006 BRM Jetta Manual Transmission Engine wire harness et al

In 2010 I bought a wonderful Jetta manual transmission car. I just sold it, and the buyer did not want the spare parts I had bought for it without understanding that I did not need them. These are now for sale. I can post them on EBay, but the members of this group get the first crack at them...
  2. sptsailing

SOLD! Surely some younger person wants a wonderful car!

OK, so I have a 2006 Jetta Manual 5 speed sedan TDI with only about 166K miles that I no longer want to own. This is not because it is a joy to drive, which it is. This is not because it has mechanical problems, which is does not. This is only because I will be 71 in a couple of months and I do...
  3. sptsailing

SOLD! 2006 VW Jetta Manual Sedan Silver Florida car, $3,500?

I bought this from the original owner in 2010 with 50 k miles or so. I no longer want to be my own mechanic, even though I can do it, as I have other priorities. In my opinion, you need to have a VCDS and be your own mechanic to own a VW TDI, unless you have a local expert support network...
  4. sptsailing

Driver Side Window 2006 Jetta gremlins

Very odd behavior today with my Jetta, in that shortly after starting the car, I rolled all the windows down a bit to let some of the hot air exchange with outside air for a mile or two before turning on the A/C. The driver side window was down only an inch, but it would not go back up. I...
  5. sptsailing

$1500 Clearwater Florida 2006 Automatic Trans TDI Jetta seen on Craigslist just now

2006 VOLKS JETTA - $1,500 (Clearwter) https://tampa.craigslist.org/pnl/cto/d/clearwater-2006-volks-jetta/7486987972.html NOT MY CAR, no additional information, just posting for your convenience. Good luck!
  6. sptsailing

2006 Jetta GURU advice needed re Brakes diagnosis, VCDS

Guru Needed, payment via Paypal offered. Private message me if interested. Free advice suggestions OK too. I am currently reviewing the various educational videos about how to use the VCDS I have had for several years to see how that can help me diagnose it, as it is only showing a Radio error...
  7. sptsailing

2006 Jetta TDI Manual (5) silver sedan for sale with extras

VIN 3VWRT71K66M710112, currently around 154 k miles but increasing due to current regular use. Asking $5,500, but open to offers. I bought this Sarasota Florida car with about 50k miles in 2009 from the original owner and have been using it since. It has had plenty of maintenance, updates and...
  8. sptsailing

2006 sticking Jetta brakes, where to start?

For numerous unrelated reasons, my 2006 Jetta sat here in my driveway in Florida's rainy season for 2 months without being used at all. I went to use it today and discovered that the brakes no longer reliably release correctly. I let off the brakes while coasting and they act as though I am...
  9. sptsailing

Oil in the turbo air intake, oil catch can?

So my 2006 BRM is running great, except it stinks. Upon investigation, I have found that the turbo air intake is dripping small amounts of oil onto both the exhaust tube leading the the oil cooler and the exhaust pipe itself. It used to drip on an air tube leading from the exhaust manifold to...
  10. sptsailing

VW Fuel Line Connectors, make my own lines?

So I hit a road hazard and damaged my fuel cooler and a fuel line: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=494625 Digging into this further, I am astonished at the cost of fixing what should be a simple thing like this. The fuel line I need (1K0201219B) is not sold as an individual item...
  11. sptsailing

WTB: Fuel radiator (cooler) 2006 BRM Jetta 1K0203491D

See my post: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=494625 I need only the fuel radiator or cooler, part 1K0203491D and the blue fuel line that goes from the radiator towards the fuel tank. I am in Florida near Tampa, but have both an EBay and Paypal account
  12. sptsailing

Fuel leak under starboard passenger area

Driving in a parking lot at a flea market, I drove over what I later found to be a piece of concrete that made two scraping noises as I passed over it. Thanks be for the Panzer plate protecting my oil reservoir. Unfortunately, whatever it was apparently managed to cause damage to a fuel line or...
  13. sptsailing

Silicone windshield wipers

Online research indicates that silicone windshield wiper blades may be the best option. Has anyone experimented with these who would care to provide advice and sources?
  14. sptsailing

Where can I find the metal shavings from a worn BRM cam?

So at 147,000 miles, the original camshaft in my 06 BRM Jetta finally got bad enough that I heard the telltale bad cam engine sound. I am in the middle of replacing and repairing not only that, but several other things as well, but am now wondering where all the metal no longer on the camshaft...
  15. sptsailing

2006 Jetta, bad cam, new plan needed

I am in a funk now and thought commiserating with others who love and hate these cars might be helpful. My Florida 2006 MKV 5-speed Jetta appears to have finally succumbed to cam failure at 147K miles. Only additional item is the Panzer plate. I acquired this silver sedan from the first...
  16. sptsailing

Jetta MKV key repair

So one of my two original keys for my 2006 BRM Jetta quit unlocking the doors. I could use the key to unlock the door, but then the alarm went off until the key was inserted into the ignition. My first thoughts were that the electronics failed. These thoughts were wrong. The plastic part in...
  17. sptsailing

BRM Vacuum troubleshooting and correction ideas solicited

BRM Vacuum Issue Discoveries. (Just trying to be helpful.) Situation 2006 Jetta, manual, 134000+ mi., owner maintained with VCDS, manuals, experience, this and myturbodiesel boards' references. Only one current engine fault code: Address 01: Engine Labels...
  18. sptsailing

Door lock actuator 2006 Jetta driver door EBay fail, where to get a good one?

So my driver door lock was showing as failed and failing to actually lock the door on my 06 Jetta. The symptoms were that when clicking lock on the FOB, nothing would happen, or sometimes it would indicate success by the short beep, but the door did not actually lock, and opening it would sound...
  19. sptsailing

BRM Turbo Boost observations and questions

So I took my 2006 Jetta TDI BRM manual 5 speed from Florida to the mountains of N GA and Western NC for the first time. While climbing highway 441 on a long upgrade, the boost suddenly stopped working and I was relegated to what appeared to be about 40 to perhaps about 60 hp for the duration of...
  20. sptsailing

Wanted: Fuel economy flowchart checklist or suggestions leading to one for a BRM TDI.

Title says it. Does there already exist a flowchart as to what to check, in what order, how to check, and how to remedy discovered deficiencies in the obtained test results to the end that fuel economy can be maximized for a BRM TDI engine? If someone has one, I would dearly love to see it...