Search results

1. crdouger

Coolant leak

I ended up purchasing an aftermarket unit from IDParts. I had a hard time justifying the super expensive OEM parts and it felt foolish to go super cheap off ebay. It was a middle of the road option. I don't know if that was a smart move or not. Maybe I ended up paying twice as much for the...
  2. crdouger

Coolant leak

I haven't done the research on that process yet, sorry. I need to get a torch some day. I default to a sawzall and BFH. ;)
  3. crdouger

Coolant leak

Glad your replacement went smoothly. I have a 2012 and a 2013 passat and my 2012 had a similar situation where the AdBlue light came on quite early even though the tank was empty. Mine was still under the recall warranty and so I brought it in to the dealership and they replaced some parts...
  4. crdouger

Coolant leak

Just finished this repair today. Went ok except for one stripped triple point bolt head. I decided to make a video of it to help anybody else doing this repair. This should be relatively the same for 2012, 2013 and maybe 2014 or later. I'm not sure when they changed. Took me about 4 hours...
  5. crdouger

Coolant leak

I did this job several years ago and I'm fairly sure I removed the intercooler. Unfortunately I have to do it again tomorrow (Saturday). I should know more tomorrow as I hope to get it all done in one day. Send me an email and we can exchange contact info in case you have questions...
  6. crdouger

Coolant leak

Thanks for the link to this part. Does anybody know if the aluminum part needs to be replaced each time or can somebody just buy the plastic filter housing and re-attach the previous aluminum part? I see just the plastic housing for sale for much less. Thoughts?
  7. crdouger

Coolant leak

Good question. I didn't think about the fact that the assembly could be breaking from wrenching on the filter housing. When I originally took mine off, it just seemed like it mysteriously crumbled. I assumed it was bad materials or heat failure or something.
  8. crdouger

Coolant leak

Yeah, the cheap ones look a lot like the OEM ones. I'm just not sure if they are exactly the same quality or not. I just don't want it to fail a third time.
  9. crdouger

Coolant leak

I'm sure I used something that I could find online affordably. I probably prioritized price over quality. I see ECS tuning has a replacement part for $500. That's a chunk of change, but I'll pay it if its worth it.
  10. crdouger

Coolant leak

Hi Guys, I commented on this thread a long time ago when I needed to replace the oil filter housing on my 2013. It's about two years later and it's happening again! I've got drops of oil all over the place and everything below the oil filter is coated in oil. Unfortunately I'm going to have...
  11. crdouger

Looking to buy Toyota Tacoma or Jeep or similar SUV with TDI swapped into it.

Live in West Michigan and I'm willing to travel a fair distance for the right vehicle. Please message me if you are aware of any for sale. Love the TDI engines, ideally want a small truck and don't have the time to do a swap myself. Thanks.
  12. crdouger

Dead Throttle problem (accelerator pedal? Cam sensor?)

nope. Sorry. I never solved the mystery. I ended up selling the car for parts. Good luck.
  13. crdouger

Coolant leak

Thanks. Do you know what the torque sequence is for the triple square ones?
  14. crdouger

Coolant leak

I ended up having this exact same housing failure on my 2013 with 220,000 miles. This thread was helpful. Where have people had luck finding affordable oil filter housing replacements?
  15. crdouger

Mysterious Starting Problem

Great Lakes TDI, Any update? My 13 passat hasn't started twice now...just clicks...and I get some random lights on the dash. Both times it started about 30 minutes later. I was thinking battery, because I'm not sure the battery is the right one. It's putting out 11.8volts and I don't see any...
  16. crdouger

mirror turn signal replacement

For anybody trying to do this, this is the closest video I found. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTF35F_BQW8 I don't think you need to remove the mirror to replace the blinker. Be careful when you pry the main color cover off the forward facing side, there are two clips on the top that I...
  17. crdouger

blue tooth phone problems

I did have my phone forget the vw, but that didn't help. BUT! I did enter a password of 0000 and then it connected just fine. I'm guessing the car was waiting for that code, but for some reason wasn't showing it to me on the MFD. Thanks JCK66!
  18. crdouger

West Michigan Fall TDI GTG - Oct. 5th, 2019

Kirk, I'll have my 2012 Passat there and I'd love some help diagnosing a medium sized weird bump/clunk in the right rear corner of the car. I'm hoping we can find if there is bushing or shock that gave out. Maybe somebody can help me pry on things and find the loose spot. Looking forward to...
  19. crdouger

rear hum after shutoff

Interesting. I don't know much about the DEF system. Apparently it empties the lines. My wifes 2013 doesn't seem to do that. Is it quieter or did they change the system?
  20. crdouger

blue tooth phone problems

Recently bought a 2012 passat and on the drive home hookedup my phone via bluetooth to play music and take calls. It synced easily without any problems. A few days later I decided that I didn't want it connected, so I disconnected it. Now I want to hook it up again, but I'm having trouble...