Search results

1. R

Used 02J with 0.717 5th gear

Hello, Just swapped out the old 02J from my 03 Jetta for a rebuilt. This trans has 338K on it and the differential bearings are making noise. However it does have the 0.717 5th gear installed. I have no idea what a used "core" rebuildable trans is worth, but I figure someone might be able to...
  2. R

02J noise getting louder....

Hello All, Posted a few weeks back about a whine at very light "throttle" cruise in 4th on my '03 MKIV Jetta. I changed the fluid, no metal, and it seemed to improve. Well, not for long! Now there is a nice whine in all the gears. So something, probably a bearing is going south. Question...
  3. R

O2J noise

Hello All, Have an O2J 5speed with 338K on it thats making a rumbling noise. Not really loud, but noticeable. Quiet when accelerating, or decelerating, but right at the "slack" point when just coasting with no or very little power being applied. Seems to only happen in 4th gear, maybe...
  4. R

Preferred MKIV Tuner?

Hello All, Friend of my just picked up a bone stock 03 Jetta wagon, low miles, and he's looking for a tune. A long time ago Rocketchip was the go to on the East Coast, that's who did mine, but who's the preferred ALH tuner these days? We're in Southern New England. Thanks, RT
  5. R

FS Raxles MKIV 5speed CV axles NIB, $400

FS Raxles MKIV 5speed CV axles NIB, $400 shipped CONUS OBO, Don't need them, changed plans. Located in Southern RI Thanks, RT https://forums.tdiclub.com/index.php?media/img_20211015_182509652-jpg.143442/
  6. R

02J spider gear lash?

Hello All, Been noticing there is a noticeable "click" and then a "clack", when releasing the accelerator and depressing it again, when in gear and moving in the 5speed transmission of my 03 Jetta TDI. Noticeable in the lower gears mainly. It's not the cv axles, they are new, no visible slop...
  7. R

Odd increase in vibration?

Hello all, Got a bit of a headscratcher here. Over the last 3 weeks or so, my 03 Jetta has started to vibrate more. Well, I can feel and see it more, in the wheel, seat of the pants, etc. Louder too when accelerating. I changed engine mounts, i think, sometime in the past year or so. I'm...
  8. R

Raxles review

Removed and replaced the original 309K axles today. Had vibration that had a bad harmonic in 4th gear, as well as some other symptoms, noise, etc. I had been driving like a little old lady, hoping to make it through winter, but it got annoying enough that I had to bite the bullet. Knowing the...
  9. R

Injector differences....

Hello, Currently running Power Plus 520's and have about 100+K on them. I think they are getting a bit tired. Can't quantify that, but just a feeling. Had them cleaned at about 80K, and they were supposedly fine then. Considering replacing and want to know if the "DLC" or "ULSD" rated...
  10. R

ABS sensor bad?

Hello, ABS light on dash, scan tool says "left front sensor". Had a look at it, expecting an obvious cut/damage in the wire. Nada. Can that sensor really go bad? Seems like it's just a Hall effect unit, no moving parts? Any ideas, or simply replace it? Thanks, RT
  11. R

Weird vibration

Hello All, For a while, like maybe 80K there has been a vibration intermittently coming from the front end. Nothing is leaking, nothing is loose. I've checked the CV axles, no discernable play, etc. I only really feel it on acceleration in 4th gear. Accelerate through the gears, and nothing...
  12. R

TDI mechanic in RI or Southern MA?

Hello, looking for a reputable TDI shop in RI or Southern MA. Thanks, RT
  13. R

Oil pump longevity?

Hello, I have seen the "oil pump chain" mentioned in a few posts with regard to what should be replaced with high mileage engines. Searches for "oil pump" or " oil pump chain" haven't turned up much. In a week or so 300K will roll over on the odo. So what gives? Is the oil pump and /or its...
  14. R

Wanted: mk4 Jetta front springs, Southern New England

Hello All, Wife popped the passenger front spring today on the 03 Jetta. Two pieces laying in the strut cup. Of course, it's Friday the 13th of a long weekend. If anyone has stock new or used spring or springs in the Southern New England area, please let me know. I'd like to get this car back...
  15. R

Transmission leak...

03 Jetta 5speed. Leaking fluid from the little cover plate on the very bottom of the manual transmission. It's the cover plate held on with two bolts and its cast with the VW symbol in the center. Can I just remove it and put a new gasket in? Or does that plate retain something important and...
  16. R

Turn on headlights with engine off?

Hello All, I'm trying to troubleshoot a loose connection on one headlight, '03 Jetta TDI. Head lamp flickers when you hit a bump..... I'm pretty sure I can find this by wiggling each connection independently but I'd like to do this with the engine off, given the cold weather, in the garage...
  17. R

Fuel Temperature Sensor problem?

I wasn't really sure where to post this question so please bear with me: 03 Jetta TDI, RC3+ tune, vnt17, pp520's, SB, egr delete, etc. etc. Mileage has been off for a while. Used to reliably return 46-47mpg, now 41-42mpg is the norm. Appears to run fine, makes what feels like decent power...
  18. R

Buzzken & IDParts review

Just got done doing an IDParts downpipe, the 2.5 inch variety and a Buzzken 2.5 inch cat-back exhaust. IDParts builds a VERY nice downpipe. The workmanship on it is jewel-like. The Buzzken exhaust is also well made and it fit very well. Actually the whole thing was the easiest exhaust...
  19. R

Aux/driving light recommendation

I have a Toyota Sienna van for hauling the family. The headlights are terrible, yes they are properly aimed and working correctly, the beam pattern and output just suck. Downgrading from a Bimmer with self leveling HIDs will do that.... I'm looking for a recommendation for an aux light setup...
  20. R

CEL, P0234-Intermittant overboost

Mods-RC3 tune, PP520's, VNT17 Popped another CEL today, the same P0234-Intermittant overboost. I have replaced all the vacuum tubing with new silicone heavy wall stuff. New N75 valve. Resealed the vacuum pump nipple and verified 25+in/hg of vacuum at idle. Car drives normally, much better...