02J spider gear lash?

rwthomas1

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Jetta
Hello All,
Been noticing there is a noticeable "click" and then a "clack", when releasing the accelerator and depressing it again, when in gear and moving in the 5speed transmission of my 03 Jetta TDI. Noticeable in the lower gears mainly. It's not the cv axles, they are new, no visible slop when rotated back and forth.

I jacked up the car on one side, leaving one wheel on the ground. Put trans in 1st, and crawled under car. I can rotate the lifted wheel back and forth about 1 1/2" by hand. All the play/slack appears to be in the spider gears of the differential. If I grab both output flanges and rotate them back and forth together, I can feel the play/slack in the ring&pinion, and it is minimal.

I believe what I'm feeling, hearing and now seeing is the spider gears, or shaft, etc. So the question is, is this slop excessive? I know 02J's have a habit of the spiders and or shafts letting go and tearing up the transmission. If what I'm hearing and seeing is the death throws, I'm inclined to have it addressed before it explodes. What do you think?

Thanks, RT