Search results

1. shoebear

CANHacker?

Anyone played around with CANHacker? Anyone know if a 2003 Jetta is on CAN protocol 1.6 or 2.0? (I'm guessing 1.6.) https://github.com/autowp/arduino-canhacker
  2. shoebear

Tip for antenna base nut

Today I replaced my antenna base. The signal cable comes through the middle of the hollow shaft and prevents socket use. A 22mm wrench could work but is too long. Then I remembered replacing an O2 sensor for a friend a couple of weeks ago and tried the 22mm / 7/8" O2 sensor socket. Coupled...
  3. shoebear

Help identifying parts for PD150 intake & functional EGR on my ALH

I installed a BRM intake & EGR delete on my 2003 Jetta Wagon several months ago, then promptly failed emissions for lack of an EGR system. So now I'm trying to piece together the parts for a PD150 intake & EGR system. I also have an Xman GT1856v turbo that I plan to install at the same time...
  4. shoebear

Members in Wisconsin between Milwaukee and Madison, please help!

I need recommendations on honest repair shops (not necessarily TDI-specific) between Milwaukee and Madison who will work on a 2005 New Beetle TDI. It's owned by my daughter and son-in-law who live in Nashota, so they can drive either east to Milwaukee or west to Madison. I looked at the...
  5. shoebear

Stretch bolt reuse / alternate sources?

We all know that VW loves torque-to-yield (stretch) bolts, and they are supposed to be replaced with new bolts every time they are removed. Although vendors like idparts conveniently packages together the bolts you need for a job, Genuine VW bolts are expensive. I would like to stop paying all...
  6. shoebear

Clutch & transmission installed - here are 2 tips

Wonder of wonders, everything works! Tip 1: Use a block and tackle for lowering and lifting the trans, and also for aligning the engine for the dogbone mount installation. See below for photos. Tip 2: Ski bibs are very helpful when working outside in subfreezing weather. Dressed just in...
  7. shoebear

Why did this South Bend Stage 2 Endurance clutch fail?

This guy's factory DMF clutch lasted 130K, then he decided to upgrade (original clutch was still good). He installed a South Bend Stage 2 Endurance clutch, which failed after 20K miles. He had it rebuilt by SB, and the rebuilt clutch lasted 30K miles. He's done with SB, so he's installing a...
  8. shoebear

Clutch hydraulics

I'm sick today and can't go outside to investigate/verify. 1. Is this description of clutch hydraulics correct? There's a brake fluid line that comes off the left (driver side) of the master brake reservoir. This goes to the low pressure port on the clutch master cylinder. Then there's a high...
  9. shoebear

Help! Suddenly can't shift. What to check?

I drove my car early this morning and noticed that it was hard to get the transmission to go into gear (5 speed manual). I just got in and tried to drive again. This time, it wouldn't go into 1st. I was able to get it into 5th, but I can't get it back out. What's going on? What do I check...
  10. shoebear

The boost leak that wasn't.

I've been chasing a boost screech on my 2003 Jetta TDI wagon for months, replacing hoses and clamps, deleting my EGR (valve was leaking boost), etc., etc. Yesterday I removed the BRM intake and reinstalled the stock intake and EGR system. :( Now I can pass emissions again. I do have a PD150...
  11. shoebear

PD150 intake manifold *with* EGR and cooler

I had a leaky EGR and some extra intakes (both BRM and PD150), so I deleted the EGR and installed the BRM intake. But then I failed emissions because I have to have both the EGR valve *and* the cooler. I figured I need to return it to stock, so I bought a new EGR valve from idparts, but it's...
  12. shoebear

Unstable OBD2 speed - but speedometer, cruise are OK

For as long as I've had my 2005 New Beetle TDI (BEW), I've noticed that the ODBC speed is unstable and fluctuated +/- 3-4 mph at freeway speeds. However, the speedometer is steady, and so is cruise control. I just did a bunch of work on it to fix it up to give to my daughter and son-in-law for...
  13. shoebear

Power steering pressure line crush washers

Yesterday, I fixed a leak in my power steering pressure line by replacing the crush washers on the rack end (I installed the wrong size previously). I used 2 aluminum washers, but I wonder if I should have used 2 copper washers, or one copper & one aluminum? Does it matter enough to switch...
  14. shoebear

Please help -- With current issues, can I safely get a high-power dyno emissions test?

I need to get my car emissions tested and registration renewed by the end of the month. Testing involved putting the car on a dyno, running it to 60 mph in 4th gear at full power, then increasing the dyno load to slow the car to 50, and then 40 mph. Accelerator is floored through whole test...
  15. shoebear

Leftover part - what is it?

After replacing the clutch, turbocharger, starter, and many gaskets on my 2005 Beetle, I have this part left over. It looks awfully familiar, but I can't place what it is or where it goes. Perhaps an insulating cover for a battery/starter cable? A cover for one of the shift linkages on top of...
  16. shoebear

Best method for sealing/securing loose vacuum pump port

RTV? JB Weld? Epoxy putty? Marvel Mystery Oil (jk)? If you have a preference / experience, please LMK your favorite, and why. Bonus points if I can apply it easily without pump removal, but it's still a high quality long-term fix. I do not want to disassemble the pump and do something on...
  17. shoebear

ALH high speed fan test?

I think I remember there's a VCDS test for the radiator fans in MK4 BEW's that will test both high and low speeds. Does this work for ALH also? On my ALH, I can test low speed by turning key on (without starting) and turning the AC on. Is there a relatively easy way to test the high radiator...
  18. shoebear

Walnut blasting intake port adapter for 1.9 TDI engines?

I've been reading about walnut blasting as a way to clean intake port carbon buildup. This is popular with European direct injection gas engines, and many have port adapters available with a big hole and sleeve to attach a shop vac, and a little port for the blaster wand. Like this one...
  19. shoebear

Steps to check comprehensive turbo health?

My VNT-17 turbo vane actuator is sticky, so it needs cleaning. But before I do that, I'd like to do a comprehensive health check. The turbo has about 180K miles on it, and if it needs to be replaced, I'd like to put my effort and time into that instead of cleaning a worn out turbo. I do have...
  20. shoebear

Best source for replacement radiator support

I hit a rock in my 2003 Jetta a couple of months ago, which busted my oil pan and broke the lower cross-member of my radiator support. In my experience, this is an easy part to break since it hangs low and is made of plastic, and I've replaced it a couple of times before. The part, 1J0805588T...