Vevor Diesel Heater ?

HyperMPG

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI 5 Speed
Anyone install one in their MK4 ?
if so, what size. What about routing the exhaust ?
Trying to get some quicker heat being Vermont and winter. : (.

regbake

TDI
2002 beetle 1.9
Haven't heard of Vevor before but they look really cool. I have an Espar unit, think 7500 btu, in a 27' boat so sort of similar.
On the boat the heater is mounted outside under an enclosure, then the heat is piped inside. Not sure a good mounting place on a beetle, at least.

Are there electric/12v options? Know it's not the same but could be easier

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS 4D 5M, 2015 GSW SE 6M
The OP is referring to a diesel fueled space heater. Lots of camper vans use them. I have a 2kw unit that i need to install in my 82 westy.
Yes, but I thought was confusing, given the size and space of the Mk4. Plus routing the exhaust, and possibly the smell/other concerns. That's why I suggested a FH, which might offer a simpler or cleaner install and ease of daily operation, and seemed about the same price. In the Westy it makes more sense, given the size and weak OE heater (at least, our old Vanagon had weak heat), but if the OP's heating system, t-stat, blend doors, etc. are good, I would think a FH might be a nice solution. Of course, access to an outlet will be needed. Maybe a Webasto in that case? Only owner I know who had one was Lito, I think he liked his.

shoebear

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta, 2003 Jetta Wagon, 2005 New Beetle, 2013 Sportwagen
Vevor is a Chinese knockoff of Webasto. So functionally, they are the same thing.

I am thinking of getting a Vevor (or other Chinee knockoff) to heat my garage. I would think that even the 2-3Kw units would be overkill for a Mk4; however, that's for you to decide.

I don't have much to say about placement or routing. If I were installing one, I would try to put the unit outside the cabin. I wonder if you could mount it to the firewall behind the engine? You would have access to fuel, exhaust would be under the car, and you could probably run the hot air into the factory ducts at the cabin filter location. Of course, I have no idea if that would be possible, but it sounds good if it would work. Another possible location would be in the left rear quarter panel where the CD changer would be.

neinspark

TDI
03 Jetta wagon, 02 NB, 02 Golf
I have a 8kw vevor diesel heater in my shop and its great. Doesn't do much if its under 20 degrees F but in the 30's it really takes the chill off. I also have a frost heater on my 03 jetta wagon. I put in a Noco plug on the left fender so I don't have to crawl around to get to the cord. The fender was dented when I bought the car ( now with a quick bondo and rattle can job) so I didn't mind taking a hole saw to it. Frost heater is great too.If its cold I plug it in when I wake up and even 30 minutes makes a difference. Almost instant heat. I relied on the heated seats for a number of years until I finally fixed the heater doors with the help of this forum. Thanks for all the helpful info

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 5spd; 05 Jeep CRD
For reasons unknown, the above wouldn't allow me to insert any text, other than the link.
Cheap enuff! Certainly an innerestin' possibility if you live in the frozen north, or south, of the world.
They list a 2kw as well that might be a more suitable size for a car.

shoebear

Veteran Member
TDI
For reasons unknown, the above wouldn't allow me to insert any text, other than the link.
Cheap enuff! Certainly an innerestin' possibility if you live in the frozen north, or south, of the world.
They list a 2kw as well that might be a more suitable size for a car.
I've read that there are only 5 and 8kW heaters, and they all are adjustable down. To get 2kW, they simply limit the fuel on a 5kW heater. I can't vouch for this first hand, though.

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
I've read that there are only 5 and 8kW heaters, and they all are adjustable down. To get 2kW, they simply limit the fuel on a 5kW heater. I can't vouch for this first hand, though.
The 5/8 kw units are physically larger. The true 2/3kw have a much smaller body and burner assembly. I have had both. Sold the 5 kw and purchased a smaller 2kw.

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 5spd; 05 Jeep CRD
"I've read that there are only 5 and 8kW heaters, and they all are adjustable down. To get 2kW, they simply limit the fuel on a 5kW heater. I can't vouch for this first hand, though."

shoebear,
Take a look now at the link I posted, the 2kw is a different form than the 5-8kw offerings. Guessing here that you
just need a source of 12vdc to operate, a battery and a trickle charger would probably do it.

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
Does anyone remember VW 411 & 412 VW's?
They had a gas fuel heater like the ones above.
A lot of those burnt if the pressure hose dry rotted & the car caught fire. :eek:

rwthomas1

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Jetta
Anyone install one in their MK4 ?
if so, what size. What about routing the exhaust ?
Trying to get some quicker heat being Vermont and winter. : (.
What exactly are you trying to achieve? Warm car in the AM when you get in? Or are you looking for an entirely self contained heating system, the Vevor mentioned so that you have heating anytime, anywhere?

Reason I ask is I use a small electric space heater set at 900watts, on a timer that comes on at 5am. The heater sits on a small piece of flat aluminum in the passenger footwell. I simply close the door on the wire, the wire is like lampcord wire, and doesn't appear at all degraded by doing this. Use your brain and keep the heater placed back away from the seat, etc. Car interior is nice and toasty, any ice/frost is cleared from the glass, etc. I simply open the passenger door, switch off the heater, place heater in garage (this car is outside), hop in and go. Leave the HVAC system off until the engine warms up, which is right about when the preheating is wearing off.

I learned this trick from a Canadian, obviously it only works at home, and takes a bit of forethought. But it works extremely well, its cheap too.

RT

GP_RZ

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon 5 speed
I'm considering doing exactly the same thing. How big is your garage? Insulated? I was looking at the 5kw as the "shop" part of the garage is only 15x26.
Just a single car garage, have it on a door thats not used for now till I drill through wall for permanent install, took out tank and bought another tank with a 2 way petcock for extended run times, these work great and so easy to replace parts on them. I also run it from a 12v 20amp power supply.

Genesis

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon
How do these work in terms of temperature regulation? When they hit setpoint do they cycle off and then back on, just go to a lower fire setting (thus you CAN overrun the temperature if the unit is too big for the space), etc? The manual is NOT clear at all.

My intended use is in a van converted into an RV, and also in my drag-behind trailer -- so having it not roast me out if I turn it on before going to bed (for example) is sort of important.... :)

GP_RZ

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon 5 speed
How do these work in terms of temperature regulation? When they hit setpoint do they cycle off and then back on, just go to a lower fire setting (thus you CAN overrun the temperature if the unit is too big for the space), etc? The manual is NOT clear at all.

My intended use is in a van converted into an RV, and also in my drag-behind trailer -- so having it not roast me out if I turn it on before going to bed (for example) is sort of important.... :)
These can be programmed for a certain temp so it will go on and off as needed.

shoebear

Veteran Member
TDI

GP_RZ is correct -- these come on and go off according to a thermostat -- just like central heating in a house. However, there is also a fuel flow adjustment you can make that will vary the heat output somewhat. Typically, this is something you would set once and not adjust again. This accounts for the range quoted in the unit's ad, e.g. 5-8K BTU.

It's worth sizing/adjusting the unit correctly: Each startup costs extra fuel and produces extra soot -- so frequent start/stop cycles are costly and lead to maintenance issues. The heaters are sort of like a car -- once started, they should run for a while and achieve full operating temp before shutting down. If the unit is significantly oversized, it will start/stop a lot. Ideally, the unit should just be able to keep your space warm running continuously in the coldest weather. So you would want to buy a unit that has a range that covers the ballpark of your needs and then adjust the fuel flow to fine tune.