Warning signs of 2013 Passat Tdi transmission issues?

Hodads

TDI
2013 Passat SEL
So Today, Car was running fine, No CEL then As I coasted into corner, then started up the hill, and I accelerated, the car lurched, and did not want to gain speed, shifted to sport , rpm went way up , I crawled off the hwy 74

Last edited:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
when was the last time you flushed the blinker fluid?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Hehe....

Well, I'll throw my standard "OBD works, start there" into the thread. Seems about all you could expect at this point.

Hodads

TDI
2013 Passat SEL
Hehe....

Well, I'll throw my standard "OBD works, start there" into the thread. Seems about all you could expect at this point.

Thanks Dealer has the car, I thought it was transmission, See my new post

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
If you're car is an SEL, then it has the DSG.

Tell us more at how it "created off road" did the car start ripping up asphalt so there was just dirt roads under it?

Hodads

TDI
2013 Passat SEL
If it was not my thread, I would see comments that Trolls make, I asked for signs transmission failure symptoms, and provided what the car did prior to stopping If I knew , why would I ask about failure symptoms

jetta 97

Vendor
TDI
2 X Jatta MK5 2006
If it was not my thread, I would see comments that Trolls make, I asked for signs transmission failure symptoms, and provided what the car did prior to stopping If I knew , why would I ask about failure symptoms
It could be million things causing problem that you have. VCDS full auto scan will tell us much more . If you do not have one, I suggest to get it , it is only $199 for personal use .

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
You initially posted gibberish that didn't make any sense at all and there was no question in there not even in the title. You have to put together a coherent paragraph so that people know what you're talking about. Why start another thread when you already have this one going?

Hodads

TDI
2013 Passat SEL
You initially posted gibberish that didn't make any sense at all and there was no question in there not even in the title. You have to put together a coherent paragraph so that people know what you're talking about. Why start another thread when you already have this one going?
One thread for transmission, The question was in the title, Second thread pertains to engine and potential damage, Looking for advice from people with experience and/or that have had the issues and gone through the diagnosis, repair process or preventative options going forward for each issue, Yes it was a buyback resold diesel gate vehicle, and there is no way to know what was put into the vehicle or how it was driven other than the maintenance history

Hodads

TDI
2013 Passat SEL
It could be million things causing problem that you have. VCDS full auto scan will tell us much more . If you do not have one, I suggest to get it , it is only $199 for personal use .
TY for the reply Was just trying to gain others insight,

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Warning signs of a transmission issue will be an error in the MFD/blinking PRND indication. Mechtrnoics unit failures usually result in poor shifts and errors in the cluster as well. Some audible sounds from the transmission area. failing DMF make a rattle in neutral at idle. Metal in the DSG fluid/filter.

If you think it's the transmission, when was it serviced last?

Again this is assuming you have a DSG, not a 6MT.

Hodads

TDI
2013 Passat SEL
Warning signs of a transmission issue will be an error in the MFD/blinking PRND indication. Mechtrnoics unit failures usually result in poor shifts and errors in the cluster as well. Some audible sounds from the transmission area. failing DMF make a rattle in neutral at idle. Metal in the DSG fluid/filter.

If you think it's the transmission, when was it serviced last?

Again this is assuming you have a DSG, not a 6MT.
Thank you for the reply I am no expert , What is DMF ? I have heard some rattling early before it warms up, Sometimes it will down shift coasting down hill where it takes the rpm's up, other times it will not down shift
Service was done at 62k [ this was a diesel gate recondition] it has 85 k Are these transmission known for issues? This is a North America car .
Now the car check engine light came on, dealer had replaced injectors 2nd set in 4 months and while they had it it denotated the hpfp, So I am unsure if any of the trans noises or downshift was caused by the fuel system issue, going into limp mode

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
DMF dual mass flywheel, rattles at idle is the dead giveaway. The DSG is pretty darn bullet proof, 400HP and 300+ ftlbs isn't unheard of for the Mk7 Golf R with the same transmission (different gearing).

AllanJJ

TDI
2013 Passat SEL
I thought for so long my DSG was failing on my 2013 SEL. Swore up and down. Took 4 trips to the dealer for them to finally say, yeah this is an issue. Turns out it was the engine failing, and torque difference on cylinder 3. It really, 100%, felt like a slipping transmission. Just had my entire engine replaced because of it. I never had any CEL or transmission modules codes up until the week prior to taking it in the last time. It just kinda failed on me without much warning. I was on top of my maintenance and everything, babied the car in the 20k miles I’ve owned it.

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
Its basic transmission diagnosis, first get engine running properly.

Hodads

TDI
2013 Passat SEL
Thanks for every ones input, I got the car back, 4250.00 repairs failed injectors 2nd time this happen, then cost a extra 7570.00 in repairs for Hpfp detonation on the service mechanic , Engine Runs fine , VW won't look into the transmission issue unless there is a code. I am noticing few things, Car makes a sound in the morning like loose metal tinking or the sound you hear when metal is warming up. Also can hear it sitting in park as well It has a a downshifting issue when you coasting, as well as it does not down shift when you need it too , when you are trying to accelerate, The car boggs down like it is not in a low gear. Car shutters. I asked them while they had the vehicle to look into the trans, But nothing on the paperback I got back with the car, for any type of diagnosis or service attempt. Well I told them there is 35k left on the warranty, see you soon for something that could have been prevented. Most likely more costly

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Did you pay for these repairs or the warranty? Are you covered by the extended emissions warranty still? Warranty should have covered all of this if still covered. Sounds like you had an hpfp failure and spread metal through the fuel system and it wasn't cleaned/repaired properly.

Zambee500

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat TDI GLS, 2014 NMS Passat TDI SEL Premium
Now the car check engine light came on, dealer had replaced injectors 2nd set in 4 months and while they had it it denotated the hpfp, So I am unsure if any of the trans noises or downshift was caused by the fuel system issue, going into limp mode
HPFP is definitely covered by extended dieselgate warranty, and says so explicitly in the warranty. And anything that throws a CEL unrelated to the transmission is also covered by the extended dieselgate warranty. So if you're still in warranty you shouldn't have paid nearly $12k in those repairs. And they should have given you a loaner car while they were making the repairs (assuming it took more than 3 hours).

Hodads

TDI
2013 Passat SEL
Did you pay for these repairs or the warranty? Are you covered by the extended emissions warranty still? Warranty should have covered all of this if still covered. Sounds like you had an hpfp failure and spread metal through the fuel system and it wasn't cleaned/repaired properly.
Yes covered , Warranty coverage, on the Fuel system, My issue is they did nothing for the transmission, Its getting worse sounding everyday But that is going to be on them, I asked them to check it.

Hodads

TDI
2013 Passat SEL
HPFP is definitely covered by extended dieselgate warranty, and says so explicitly in the warranty. And anything that throws a CEL unrelated to the transmission is also covered by the extended dieselgate warranty. So if you're still in warranty you shouldn't have paid nearly $12k in those repairs. And they should have given you a loaner car while they were making the repairs (assuming it took more than 3 hours).
No codes yet for the trans, Just makes a loud RATTLING tinking sound at idle , 740GLE SAID DMF dual mass flywheel, rattles at idle is the dead giveaway. Repairs were all was covered under warranty, Did get a loaner for a week, Tiguan gas station searcher about 10 miles to gallon,

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
DMF failure at 85K is pretty poor performance.

I wonder how much abuse it had prior to your ownership.

oilhammer

TDI
All the 02Es are about the same to R&R, really. The BEW NB is a little tighter, but the rest are the same. We charge a flat 6 hr labor to R&R all the transverse FWD VAG transmissions regardless.

Don't know what the CKRA's DMF cost is for the part, or if it is specific to that engine alone or the same as some others.

Hodads

TDI
2013 Passat SEL
Update , Thanks for the advice 740gle, stopped in at German auto repair shop, 2nd opinion, which was next to my route, had them listen to the car at idle
You are on point with DMF, They gave me a tip record the sound [ put my phone under the car on video record, show your car as you go under ] and send it in to Volkswagen. Guess who has transmission warranty repair, They even said my trans has a additional sound, they are going to look into, besides the rattling , their is a loud knock or clunk every few seconds in between the rattling. Which could be the why the car downshifts for no reason and shutters at low speeds in drive when you take off, something to do with clutches or plates the Volkswagen lead tech mentioned.
Now to add insult to injury , after all the repairs my TDI engine, The car is now running hot, used to never leave 190 degrees , now it gets hot in traffic, going up hills, driving freeways speeds goes up and down. They are hoping it is not a engine failure

Honestly, I asked why keep putting money into it , My service advisor was going to submit a vehicle exchange request, There are hundreds of them sitting a lot here California, But they stopped refurbishing them.

Last edited:

oilhammer

TDI
Heh, and there is another thread here with someone hand-wringing over the "special" oil the CKRA requires. Like that is worth worrying about.

It is a shame, really. Nice cars aside from the emissions compliance BS now made way worse post Dieselgate.

craigldavis

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW M/T; 2014 Q7
No codes yet for the trans, Just makes a loud RATTLING tinking sound at idle , 740GLE SAID DMF dual mass flywheel, rattles at idle is the dead giveaway. Repairs were all was covered under warranty, Did get a loaner for a week, Tiguan gas station searcher about 10 miles to gallon,
Did the Dieselgate extended warranty cover your DMF replacement? Or the original factory warranty?