Recent content by wdb

1. W

TURBO: 2012-2014 Passat turbo failures [discussion thread]

2014 follows 2012 I posted the parameters to the tally location. Like the 2012 before my 2014 had to have its turbo replaced. Of note the whine was slight - discounted by local dealer - but consumption of oil (2.5qt over 2000mi this followed 1/2qt for the 5000 mi prior) was notable symptom...
  2. W

TURBO: Please report NMS turbo failures here. [not a discussion thread!]

2014 Turbo Replaced Miles on car at failure: 17690 Build date: 12/20/2013 Corrective actions from dealership: r/r turbo charger Outside air temps at failure: 80F Failure warning signs, if any: 2.5 qt oil consumption over 2000mi Warning lights on dash/MFI: None Problems since replacement: Just...
  3. W

Heat Only on Driver Side - clogged heater core

After the 50k checkup on my 12 Passat TDI SE I asked the dealer to check the passenger side heat today and they capped the charge at 1h and reported the need to change the heater core, hoses and flush. This is the third this week (a Beetle and another Passat) they were following up with VOA...
  4. W

Thanks for the quick response. I'll check the ODB forum for a Mac-compatible scanner. Of note: Engine light is back on; hope that the ECU flash update would correct it dashed.
  5. W

ECU Flash Had check engine light come on yesterday. No noticeable performance impact. Brought it to the dealer they found four codes stored and said (ECU) flash update was required. I went ahead thinking there may be goodness with the update insofar as work done since the car was built (2012...
  6. W

I had a turbo failure last year and want to check to see if the model is the latest (and assumed greatest) or otherwise. Pardon the questions but: 1) Can the turbo identification plate be seen without removing other engine components; and 2) If yes where can it be found?
  7. W

TURBO: Please report NMS turbo failures here. [not a discussion thread!]

Miles on car at failure: 14609 Build date: 04/2012 Corrective actions from dealership: Replaced turbo. Outside air temps at failure:<32F Failure warning signs, if any:Whine while driving under load. Warning lights on dash/MFI: None. Problems since replacement:None. Repair time:7 days Any dealer...
  8. W

It took a week - mostly to get the parts. Findings: Impeller fins deformed on exhaust side. Impeller touching housing on intake from excessive play. Turbo replaced. The dealer provided a 2013 w/2.5L Passat as loaner; while thankful for it I'm glad to have the TDI back.
  9. W

'12 Passat 14609 Miles - whining noise sometimes augmented with a slipping noise started in last days. Brought it to the dealer yesterday and they report the car is not drivable due to a problem with the turbo and they're awaiting part delivery. While not expressly defined as require is there a...