Recent content by ezshift5

1. E

Not really sure about my '17 1.4 5M Jetta having turbo lag................. I am sure that - at...

Not really sure about my '17 1.4 5M Jetta having turbo lag................. I am sure that - at 62,000 - my Jetta has suffered no issues since new...........while getting about 41 MPG in 60 per cent City use. Go VW engineering dept! ez
  2. E

Shopping for better rates on car insurance VW Golf TDi

I went from USAA to GEICO after getting a 54 per cent auto insurance premium hike - - - USAA is not the same outfit I joined as a young officer. (GEICO premium is about 1/2 of USAA's latest quote. - - - )
  3. E

What the ****, VW? (Clutch slave cylinder ranting)

At this point - - - would I be out of line - - - to ask if the VW Jetta 1.4L EA211 5M has a CDV?
  4. E

Jetta 1.4t CZTA timing belt

This sailor sails an EA211 - odometer 60,000 - oil usage is close to zero (factory 10,000 sked). Never had any issues since 2017 new car purchase I've had a Bug, a Quantum, 2 Rabbits (one a 5M diesel pickup), a Karmann Ghia, a JSW (also diesel) - even a 914 (VW 1.8 4-cylinder...
  5. E

Jetta 1.4t CZTA timing belt

My EA211 - at 60,000 - has shown zero glitches. Fuelly has calc'd those 60,000 since new at 40.7 in 60% City driving. The 5-speed synchros are flawless in easy/positive shifting. The clutch is light and has easy/firm take-up (non-flakey friction point). Hard to believe this Jetta"S" out the...
  6. E

The Vanity Plate Thread

I saw a plate - on Treasure Island in SF Bay - a few moons back: I L SU 4U..............................on a Porche 911. best, ez
  7. E

How often do you use cruise control?

I agree with Burp and others who indicate better fuel numbers sans using CC. The JSW TDI 6M I sold back to VOA was truly fuel efficient - the 1.4L Jetta 5M replacement calc's about 90 per cent of the diesel. The buyback was a big deal (at least for this old sailor!) Best to all, ez
  8. E

stick with G52 in your tranny - here's why...

YOU MAY NOT REQUIRE A FREEZER (IF YOU ARE NEAR Camp McCoy)
  9. E

When do you decide you've gotten your money's worth and move on?

Beginning with a VW air cooled bug in college - I've had Rabbits, a Quantum, a diesel pickup, a diesel wagon that VW surprisingly bought back after 4 years for damn near the new car price...................... So I got me a brand new Jetta 1.4L turbo gas about 6 years back. Due to bad vibes...
  10. E

2012 Jetta tdi still under warranty VW now says will Buy Back

Buy back. One of my favorite VW war stories................ During the summer of 2017 VW offered me just under $25,000 for my 2013 JSW TDI 6M. I took the offer I bought a brand new 2017 Jetta 1.4 5M for $14,000 and change My wife often says to me: "You'll never get a deal like that...
  11. E

1.4 EA211 spark plug change interval.................

Additional research would seem to indicate that the later model VW Jetta 1.4L EA211 4 cylinder has iridium spark plugs - which last much longer. It's all good!! ez
  12. E

‘81 caddy hum in gears or axle, help me diagnose!

I drove an '82 VW Rabbit diesel 5M pickup 300,000 miles - then sold it to a restoration guy. Never changed the 5 speed's lubricant. (Restoration folks said they painted it, new upholstery plus some other small items. Didn't touch the engine. Sold it for 12 grand. I don't think they were...
  13. E

***Tires***

Ecopia 422+ OEM tires - at 52,000 miles - measure 6/32 all around. FE - agree with ticaf - is impressive.....almost 41 MPG in 60City use. ez
  14. E

Out of alignment/tire question 2017 Jetta

Hi (again) 'Cube, While I do miss my JSW TDI 6M - this 1.4L replacement - after the $25k buyback - is really appreciated by this old sailor. In other news, I'm thinking about asking OH about the newer Jettas - using the same spark plugs - have a longer plug change interval than my...
  15. E

real world EVs review

When VOA laid 25 grand on me for my JSW TDI 6M, I was so impressed - another VW was soon in my garage. I'm not ready to go EV (along with about 95 of all new car buyers IIRC.) ez sends on this (welcome) beautiful day in NoCal.