ALH/BHW Hybrid: Success!

dieseldonato

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 jetta
If I'm getting too far off the rails here I'll start another thread, related ro this subject, but I think it pertains with the current discussion. is there a issue with breaking the smaller 48 (?)mm crank pin, or is it just a rod strength issue? I see there are some H beam rods available for the alh platform, surely for a 200 ish hp build they would suffice over finding another engine and building a hybrid? I'm also assuming 180-200hp is somewhat a std build from what use been reading.

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
Cutting the crank is easy...getting rods 1.5mm shorter, not so much. More stroke means more displacement. I suspect boost and solid after-cooling will deliver that additional air mass easier.

BEW heads have their valves sunk further into the head and have no pockets in the pistons to clear the usual ARL/BHW/ALH stick-out. BEW head and BEW pistons are the mated pair of bits.

Douglas
Or pistons with the pins closer to the deck

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
Have to disagree; mains are the same across ALH/BEW/ARL/BHW...rod journals are either 48 or 51mm. As I hunt up an ARL/ASZ crank for its 51mm rod journals... :) Rod strength goes something like ALH>BEW>ARL>BHW. For stockers anyway... LOL

Douglas
So the BEW is the only one with larger Rod journals? BHW same rod journal as ALH, just stronger rods and larger bore/stronger pistons/ lower cr?

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
If I'm getting too far off the rails here I'll start another thread, related ro this subject, but I think it pertains with the current discussion. is there a issue with breaking the smaller 48 (?)mm crank pin, or is it just a rod strength issue? I see there are some H beam rods available for the alh platform, surely for a 200 ish hp build they would suffice over finding another engine and building a hybrid? I'm also assuming 180-200hp is somewhat a std build from what use been reading.
Rod strength and oil squirters / piston cooling/strength. I think the cranks all hold up well, from second hand info

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
BHW has 51mm crank journals. ALH, BEW and BRM have 48mm cranks. I think the common rails went back to 51mm...CJAA and the like. As far as I see it, the larger bearing dia is for load only. Larger means more area, and the larger dia gives higher bearing speed( which helps load increase as well ). Not that the trans will be happy with a rod-bender tune...LOL

This at the rod journals. Have never seen any indication the mains are different.

Douglas

Last edited:

PANIAWO

TDI
BEW X2
I'm building this with BEW bottom. I skimmed the head and had the valves recessed on their seats to clear the flattop BEW pistons. No pocketing of pistons. Bentley manual has a tolerance for doing this so you don't get into the lifter red zone. Also, BEW is missing the lower small roller threaded hole so much easier to drill/tap.

ssullivan

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
Now the next trick is going to be offset cutting a 51mm crank to gain 3mm of stroke and run the 48mm rods. 1.5mm shorter will be required... :)

The 3mm extra stroke is nearly worth as much as the 81mm bore...

Douglas
The rod ratio is super short as it is for TDI rpm. Building a torquer? Just something to consider.

The displacement would be nice to spool turbos.

Last edited:

PANIAWO

TDI
BEW X2
Had to order a drill bit and tap to do the lower roller. Pre-drilled with a 4mm bit to make sure I wouldn't go into coolant jacket or some other place unwanted.

Darkside Sachs SRE clutch kit I bought in 2019 finally got a home. Unfortunately the flywheel had no TDC mark so I had to dial indicate my way to freedom. Good thing to have random brand new 02C case kicking around.

Ugly but functional

Last edited:

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
What kind of exhaust manifold is that?

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle GLS TDI (BIODSL). 01 original Glow Bug TDI (sold)
BHW has 51mm crank journals. ALH, BEW and BRM have 48mm cranks. I think the common rails went back to 51mm...CJAA and the like. As far as I see it, the larger bearing dia is for load only. Larger means more area, and the larger dia gives higher bearing speed( which helps load increase as well ). Not that the trans will be happy with a rod-bender tune...LOL

This at the rod journals. Have never seen any indication the mains are different.

Douglas
So then the next step to "best set up ever" would be ALH/BHW hybrid with a DQ250 trans running a limited slip?
I know o2j EGR and EUH transmissions can go quite a bit over stock hp, but for how long at around 300 ish HP?
I know torque is the trans killer in this application so if it was limited then you could probably get away with an 02j for a very long time, but if we were going for track car, hold nothing back.... next step would be?

dieseldonato

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 jetta
So then the next step to "best set up ever" would be ALH/BHW hybrid with a DQ250 trans running a limited slip?
I know o2j EGR and EUH transmissions can go quite a bit over stock hp, but for how long at around 300 ish HP?
I know torque is the trans killer in this application so if it was limited then you could probably get away with an 02j for a very long time, but if we were going for track car, hold nothing back.... next step would be?
Dsg? I hear they hold some big power in the newer cars.

PANIAWO

TDI
BEW X2
AWD alleviates some of that nasty torque. The angled drive pulls directly from the ring gear sending half of it to the rear. I've thrashed my 02C with much abuse and its still crispy. 02M is same design on angled drive too. DSG is dope, my BEW Beetle's have DSG and its a solid trans. Boxeer (sp?) Engineering in Tennessee or somewhere down yonder sells a 4mo DSG TDI geared with standalone for like $7500.

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Dsg? I hear they hold some big power in the newer cars.
Yes, DSG. Can hold 300whp stock (tuned trans) from my understanding of them. With some structural and upgraded mods to the trans you can go for more. There are at least 2 people here (off the top of my head) who could tell you exactly what mods to that trans would be the best, and a few others who know how to get it communicating/functioning with the alh.

AWD alleviates some of that nasty torque. The angled drive pulls directly from the ring gear sending half of it to the rear. I've thrashed my 02C with much abuse and its still crispy. 02M is same design on angled drive too. DSG is dope, my BEW Beetle's have DSG and its a solid trans. Boxeer (sp?) Engineering in Tennessee or somewhere down yonder sells a 4mo DSG TDI geared with standalone for like $7500.
Sounds sweet! But I dislike that pricetag😄. Some of those awd swapped mk4's in Europe are mad awesome.

Standard dq250 swap could be done easily under $2k I imagine.

ssullivan

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
Can't the 02J survive 300 lb-ft pretty easily if not abused?

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Can't the 02J survive 300 lb-ft pretty easily if not abused?

Depends on who's driving. Tuning does play a roll in this as well.

~300ftlb of torque yes easily doable, 300hp is another story....

ssullivan

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
...only if your turbo and nozzles are too small. HE221W, .370 nozzles, 4000-5500 rpm (edit: and 2stroke oil) is my simple and cheap 300 hp track plan.

Low EGT good for track too obviously. Spool is kind of irrelevant since you shift. What racing are you talking about?

Edit:
BTW, I am assuming you are one of the builders the OP thanked. (or you/we hijacked his thread)

Great build, I'm pretty jealous and really want one.

Last edited: