After 300K miles...Engine said goodbye

rrgrassi

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta TDI 5 speed
Our 2006 decided she did not wat to play any more. Engine dropped a cylinder while wifie was driving to work. We had the car since 40 miles. First major issue we have had. One of the bucket tappets shattered on the #1 cylinder.

So we are replacing this 2006 with another 2006 with 132,000 miles on it. This one has the 5 speed manual. And package2 interior. We have test driven it and it is really sweet. It already has a Malone stage 1 tune and EGR delete.

I will be picking it up Thursday the 16th.

My wife wanted another TDI Jetta. I was pushing for a 2005 or 2006 MB E320 CDI. But she wins, as she is the main driver.

Rx7145

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta BRM
Yeah everyone complains about the cams on these cars but they’re actually pretty easy to change I should know I’ve done it twice.

rrgrassi

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta TDI 5 speed
We picked up another TDI. 132,000 miles on it. A new Borg Warner Turbo was also installed. One our other, the lifter shredded is self and put metal into the oil pan. The replacement car had the TB kit kit done, all fluids and filters, and has a stage 1 tune, EGR delete and is straight piped to the muffler. It runs like a scalded dog.

sptsailing

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta Manual, stock with Panzer Plate & Franko6 modified EGR cooler & CAM
Mine has almost 160,000 miles. It had almost all the typical problems, the worst of which was the cam, etc.

I continue to have great confidence in this engine, and farvenuigen is really true.

gflatt

TDI
2006 Jetta BRM - DSG
Our 2006 decided she did not wat to play any more. Engine dropped a cylinder while wife was driving to work. We had the car since 40 miles. First major issue we have had. One of the bucket tappets shattered on the #1 cylinder.

So we are replacing this 2006 with another 2006 with 132,000 miles on it. This one has the 5 speed manual. And package2 interior. We have test driven it and it is really sweet. It already has a Malone stage 1 tune and EGR delete.

I will be picking it up Thursday the 16th.

My wife wanted another TDI Jetta. I was pushing for a 2005 or 2006 MB E320 CDI. But she wins, as she is the main driver.

E320!! Just let one go after 8 years. Truly an Amazing machine. So much torque, it broke a right rear body to Chassis bolt. Common to the AGM55 & 63s. Again wife's car, and we're getting older & she missed the higher seating, access-egress & road view of her Subaru Outback. We did a lot of post-retirement traveling in the 320 and have seen 42.4 mpg (Hand calculated) with average fuel returns of 34-35. I'd say alignment issues along with tire ware were the big $ things that would wear your Ass out. It could go through $1000.oo worth of tires in 25-30 K. Even with quality upgraded suspension components.
If she's happy!! leave it alone, and if you really want a Fun Diesel that ripps!! look to the OM606 98-99 E300. That's one I've owned for 19-20 years and will be transplanting it into an older pick-up. Need a 25+ MPG Pickup that turns 5,500 & 300+lbtq. Spinning a 6l80 with a stand-alone controller..

rrgrassi

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta TDI 5 speed
She opted for the TDI. This one is a sweet ride. I am toying with the idea of selling my w124 300d for a CDI, or even an E300. Sad part, the replacement TDI got rear ended last night. Still drivable, but the bumper skin is mangled. The Lexus that his her faired worse.