Calling all warranty gurus

Kentamous

TDI
2010 Jetta tdi
A friend convinced me to buy a 2010 Jetta tdi that’s in limp mode and has a broken turbo. The plan was to bring it to Volkswagen and get the diesel gate fix and have the warranty cover the turbo. I brought it to the dealership and they say they won’t touch it until the check engine lights are off. I’ve tried turning them off with an OBD2 and vag-comm with no success. Any ideas on how to get the check engine, dpf and blinking glow plug lights to turn off?

I’m located in Salt Lake City Utah.

codes: p0299, P2463, P246E

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Surprising that the car went for so long without the fix. Unfortunately, the dealer's message is consistent with what owners have heard throughout the dieselgate fix process. Dealers won't fix any outstanding issues. If you want the fix and the fix warranty you'll have to do what oilhammer wrote: put a turbo in it first. And fix any other issues it might have. You may want to check for other faults to be sure you're not on the hook for another expensive item before proceeding.

Also, are dealers still implementing fixes?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
They are not. As recently as last month I had one here that had never been "fixed", and it needed (and got) a new intake manifold on the owner's dime. Car had 320k miles on it, and he knew about Dieselgate but didn't care. I have had a few in here like that. Not everyone took advantage, and those are the ones that spend less time being repaired. Go figure.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I love it when people talk about how they "had to take the money" or that "VW made me sell it back." I agree that keeping the car as is might have been better for some. And I wish more had kept their manual CKRA Passats.

drsven

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI 6-Speed
I have a 2013 Jetta 6MT that has not had the emissions fix performed and it's currently at the dealership undergoing the #23U3 emissions recall and #24CV snow flap/oxygen sensor repairs. I'm in California, so I'm not sure if that determines if the dealerships are required to implement the emissions fix? FWIW - This Jetta has no preexisting CELs or drivability issues.

Surprising that the car went for so long without the fix. Unfortunately, the dealer's message is consistent with what owners have heard throughout the dieselgate fix process. Dealers won't fix any outstanding issues. If you want the fix and the fix warranty you'll have to do what oilhammer wrote: put a turbo in it first. And fix any other issues it might have. You may want to check for other faults to be sure you're not on the hook for another expensive item before proceeding.

Also, are dealers still implementing fixes?