After power bleeding brakes: ESP off, soft pedal

DownByTheRiver

TDI
2012 passat
Used a motive power bleeder to flush my 2012 sel brakes, and now am having soft pedal and "esp off" message on display. No air in lines while bleeding. Am assuming I need to use VCDS to run the ABS pump. Can't find any definitive information using search. I read something about hitting at least 30 psi to open check valves if power bleeding, but I don't remember where I saw that. I only bled at 20 psi, as the motive pump struggled to get there. I also changed my battery at the same time I bled the brakes.

I'm going to use erWin to download the repair manual tomorrow at work, as my internet here is bad, but can anybody point me in the right direction before I get started tomorrow?

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
you need vcds to also bleed the ABS system. When you open the system there's a special bleed procedure that you need vcds or obd11 to do it. Because there's the hill hold assist Etc.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
You might have to do the driving around in a circle at a certain mile per hour to reset the ABS system.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Something def went wrong during the fluid flush, did the motiv go dry and a bit of air get into the MC?

DownByTheRiver

TDI
2012 passat
No problems while bleeding, and have power bled many ABS cars and trucks with it. No air leaving the bleeders, just straight fluid. Master cylinder never ran dry and didn't even need topped off when I was done. Bleeder reservoir never ran dry, either. Is it something I did with the battery possibly?

ErWin is saying there's a problem with its credit card processing and there will be a one day delay, so can anyone confirm that I need to run the ABS while I open the bleeders so I can get it done tonight? I haven't seen anything on the Rosstech forum about it either, at least for this generation. I've seen 5.7 and 5.3? ABS modules that need to have a key generated to get into them via VCDS. Not sure if this generation is the same.

DownByTheRiver

TDI
2012 passat
What a convoluted system VW has for these manuals. Big surprise!

Allowed me to register, then wouldn't accept the login when I went to purchase the manual. Purchase as guest, then get the message of 'if your session ends, your subscription is over'. Well if there's a day in delayed processing, how can I prevent it from timing out? Call the support number on the screen, then get told they don't deal with technical literature. Un ****ing real.

Dealer here is horrendous (can provide examples upon request ;)), but can't do anything yourself. Makes me love my mechanical Cummins engine that much more.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I would avail yourself of OBD. I never do pressure bleeds on a car without a scan tool available. You may just need to run the Output test to get the air out of the ABS unit.

DownByTheRiver

TDI
2012 passat
I would avail yourself of OBD. I never do pressure bleeds on a car without a scan tool available. You may just need to run the Output test to get the air out of the ABS unit.

Understood. I'll run the output test during the bleed. I was wary of having to receive a code, etc from rosstech to access the ABS module, so just wanted to be sure before going down that road. Looks like that's for the older TDIs, though.

DownByTheRiver

TDI
2012 passat
Factory manual does state 29 psi to bleed ABS properly.

Thanks for the help, hopefully I'll have it fixed with the vcds tomorrow.

DownByTheRiver

TDI
2012 passat
Re bled the brakes and ran the abs output tests, following the directions from LF to RR. Started the car, stability and steering wheel light still on. Turned it back off, then decided to drive it an hour later. After about 2 minutes, the lights all turned off and pedal feel is great. What happened here?

Edit: looks like steering angle sensor needs reset after battery is disconnected. All is well.

Last edited: