engine problem

uti

TDI
03 jetta
i own a 2003 jetta tdi with 420000 miles problem with cam safth repair or replace the engine ?

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Cam can be reground to correct specs due to hydraulic lifters staking up the slack of the base circle. Contact kerma tdi.
Its better to use the stock one, its stronger

STDOUBT

Veteran Member
TDI
dos jettas
If your cam shaft lasted 420k miles that's pretty great.
If you want to keep the car, the best way to make sure your engine is still good is to run a compression check.
If the engine has good compression on all cylinders, then replacing the camshaft (and lifters!) is def worth the effort.
$250 and 5 hours of work.
Do not replace only the camshaft - you must also replace the lifters as well!
Make sure to buy only from trusted vendors, top quality parts!
metalmanparts.com
idparts.com
etc...

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Depending on the grind you might need shims.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds

If you’re replacing the camshaft you may as well do the timing belt if it’s anywhere near needing to be done. This is for a Passat but it shows what needs to be done.

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
I would recommend a quick compression test. If the numbers are good (well north of 400) then you know the bottom end has lots of life left and is certainly worth a cam (unless there are other systems like the turbo showing signs of wear, of course)

If the numbers are low then you know you should probably do rings etc while doing the cam, and can work out the math accordingly.

My daughter's 2001 Jetta has around 400k km and the compression is 515-525 psi across all 4 cylinders... it's just nicely broken in. :)

Franko6

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
I'm curious what cam shaft problem you are having. There isn't a lot of clarity in you post. Is the cam simply worn out? All I see is the year model and that it's got quite a few miles, with what maintenance? You should be on your third timing belt job and closing in on the 4th. The cam kits we often see have the cheaper V-notch spring seal, which VW replaced with a PTFE seal in 2002 and really should not be retro'd to the older seal type.

If the cam followers are worn to the point they clatter a lot when the engine starts, the replacement of the cam and lifter set is a great starting point. We sell the cam and cam followers, but also have some instruction how to improve on the installation method, which will assure the best install.

There are other items which should be on the list for maintenance. For example, if the amount of blowby is excessive, a set of rings, at very least, would not be a bad install. A valve job and vale guide replacement would be long-term beneficialOr if the rod and/ or main bearings are worn into the copper, the oil pump chain sprocket has a 250,000 replacement interval, the valve guides are loose, the front crank seal or rear main seal is leaking, bad dual mass flywheel...

The point being, there are people who drive the engine until something breaks, but the better practice is to follow a maintenance procedure to keep the engine going for many more years by doing preventative maintenance.

They all need a bit of help along the way.

uti

TDI
03 jetta
hasorry i dont have ilookmore info my son is a diesel tech (own ultimate truck performance in Oxnard CA) he think camsahaft and a lifter i look in Bentley manual vitch i own wen ibuy the car , the car got 4000 mieles oil chances 5 40 licuy moly ricently 5 40 mobil 1 truck and diesel oil

uti

TDI
03 jetta
i buy a used engine for a 1000 $ from awreckt car with 129000 miles (maybe)BEFORE MECH put in wath you guys sugest to do like timing belt vacuum hoses replace etc

Prairieview

Veteran Member
TDI
Two 2000 Beetles, 2002 Jetta, 2002 gas avh Jetta, fleet of older 1.6 turbo and non's
Of course replace the usual timing component items. AND...enroll in a basic English class at a local community college....thank you. Not sure which of those two is the priority right at the moment.

uti

TDI
03 jetta
any differance betwen engine for auto trans and manual trans

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
As far as the cam and head... no.

For the engine itself, the difference between just the engine will be that the auto has an injection pump that develops higher injection pressure due to using a pump with a larger piston (11mm vs 10mm) and squirts the fuel through injectors with smaller holes in the nozzles.

For your purposes, that is, changing out the cam and lifters, there is no difference.

Cheers,

PH

uti

TDI
03 jetta
my ip needs rebuild i think 420000 miles can some one recomend in LA orVentura county tanks all Julian

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
Why do you think it needs a rebuild?
I have 460,xxx miles on mine and all is good.
If it’s leaking there are vendors on here that sell repair kits very reasonable.
There is also a Video that one member made that takes you through on how to do it , it is recommended that you have access to VCDS to reset your IQ as that will change no matter how careful you are.

uti

TDI
03 jetta
my mech wants $ 2000 .00 to do the swap wath you guys think ?

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon

Contact Franko6, his FB above you can find his shop info through there.
He is a bit behind, however, he is the one to go to in regards to this.

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
So much bad info in this thread.

A cam swap taks like 20 minutes and like $200 in parts. Febi cam and INA lifters. Replacing the whole engine is just insanity.