Advice on suv purchase

sandmansans

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta
Hey so I'm thinking about buying my girlfriend an SUV to tote around our daughter. She currently has a 2009 Jetta SE 2.5. Having the extra space and 4wd would be nice.
She really likes the Q7 and is consider buying one used. My questions are:
Any known issues for specific years and engine models?
How's the TDI that they use?
How is the servicing experience in these cars? Can I do everything that I do to my 2014 tdi to the q7?

Any comparable competitor suvs? I researched the Cherokee eco diesel. I would be able to get 0 percent financing, But after reading reviews it seems as if it suffers from a slew of issues.
I know she also likes the GMC Acadia.

Thanks ahead of time v

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Suv's for the most part are for imbeciles. No, you don't need 4 wheel drive or the additional space to tote around 1 kid. The only time I got stuck with my front wheel drive Jetta was when the snow was so deep I high centered. A 4x4 would have been stuck in the same situation.

Seriously, a 4X4 makes absolutely zero sense unless you are doing a lot of off road driving. In snowy conditions, it seems like most of the folks that are backwards and off the road are people that drive 4X4's.

sandmansans

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta
Suv's for the most part are for imbeciles. No, you don't need 4 wheel drive or the additional space to tote around 1 kid. The only time I got stuck with my front wheel drive Jetta was when the snow was so deep I high centered. A 4x4 would have been stuck in the same situation.

Seriously, a 4X4 makes absolutely zero sense unless you are doing a lot of off road driving. In snowy conditions, it seems like most of the folks that are backwards and off the road are people that drive 4X4's.
...sooo anyone willing to jump in and offer a non-retard babble reply, with actual relevance to my question?

bubbagumpshrimp

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta TDI
Look at a Land Cruiser.

There are plenty of great uses for SUVs. I get a chuckle out of seeing a 5' woman with one kid getting out of a seven passenger Suburban, but that doesn't take away from the fact that they kick a55. I.e. Towing, people hauling, camping, off-roading + gear storage, higher clearance, etc.

Yup. The issue (truck and SUV people) is that they tend to drive too fast during inclement weather because their vehicles give them a false sense of security.

To me...the people that absolutely hate SUVs are on par with the people that just get them to haul groceries.

sandmansans

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta
Look at a Land Cruiser.

There are plenty of great uses for SUVs. I get a chuckle out of seeing a 5' woman with one kid getting out of a seven passenger Suburban, but that doesn't take away from the fact that they kick a55. I.e. Towing, people hauling, camping, off-roading + gear storage, higher clearance, etc.

Yup. The issue (truck and SUV people) is that they tend to drive too fast during inclement weather because their vehicles give them a false sense of security.

To me...the people that absolutely hate SUVs are on par with the people that just get them to haul groceries.
Appreciate the advice. I didn't even think of them, but they do have a legendary track record. Any info on the different engines? Which ones if any to avoid?

Yea it would get more use than that. I purchased an enclosed trailer that I can pull with the Jetta, but would feel better doing so with a truck or SUV. Also snow and ice here is pretty bad. That and the geography and poor winter service. And me being 6'4" leaves little room for me when the car seat is behind me in the Jetta!!

And the part about false sense of security I couldn't agree more with. Its a common sight around here to see suvs from Ny and NJ off the side of the road during a storm. My dad and I had pretty good business pulling them out with the 1 ton DirtyMax he had.

bubbagumpshrimp

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta TDI
Appreciate the advice. I didn't even think of them, but they do have a legendary track record. Any info on the different engines? Which ones if any to avoid?

Yea it would get more use than that. I purchased an enclosed trailer that I can pull with the Jetta, but would feel better doing so with a truck or SUV. Also snow and ice here is pretty bad. That and the geography and poor winter service.

It's been a few years (about five) since I really followed them, but I'm not aware of any issues for the '00-09 ones. For all the information you might want on Land Cruisers...check out http://forum.ih8mud.com (it is THE Land Cruiser forum).

Keep in mind that these are like VW's...they're great, provided you don't skimp on service. Something that people buying used Land Cruisers might not think of is that you're doing maintenance on a $50k+ vehicle...not a $10k, $20k vehicle (or however much you find one for).

Edit: Even a 2000 100 series Land Cruiser (well maintained) would be a great and comfortable family foul weather vehicle.

Last edited:

sandmansans

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta
do you really need anything so big- how about a Forester, Rav or such?
Good observation, but I can't stand the whole small crossover SUV look. They look like cars with a lift kit. Honestly the worst is the BMW. The X3 especially. I wouldn't mind a wagon like the subi, but she's not a fan at all of wagons.

no-blue-screen

TDI Nut
TDI
TDI
I do agree that an SUV may not be practical but to each their own. My wife wanted a Suburban to replace her 2005 Chevy Uplander with 185k on it.

I told her just get a car as its much cheaper... But she was having none of it. She finally settled on a Honda Odyssey and she loves it. While it's not what I would choose one must remember that a happy wife = a happy life.

We looked at the GMC but the sticker on it was 50k and it seemed cheaply made to me ...just my two cents.

Posted via my phablet using Tapatalk

bubbagumpshrimp

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta TDI
do you really need anything so big- how about a Forester, Rav or such?
If we're talking daily driver wise...that's definitely the more economical/practical choice. For around town and light duty, something like that would be my recommendation. My next vehicle will likely be in the Forester or Outback size range.

As much as I like full-size SUV's...who knows when/if I'll get around to getting another one. As comfortable as they are to operate (interior space wise...you can't beat them). Well...short of a minivan. That's the other thing...most people that have SUV's are people that would be better served by a minivan (the Toyota Sienna is available in AWD, if you just have to have a AWD or 4WD).

At the end of the day though...Foresters and Rav 4's are small vehicles. If you want to do things like haul a 4,000+ lb trailer...take (at the same time) 2+ kids, a large dog, and stuff confortably, etc...a big SUV is a good option.

Last edited:

DPM

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2019 Rav4 AWD Hybrid, Citroen C4 BlueHDI
Size is relative tho. Move up from a Forester to an X5 round these parts and you'll find you don't fit a normal parking space any more...

bubbagumpshrimp

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta TDI
Size is relative tho. Move up from a Forester to an X5 round these parts and you'll find you don't fit a normal parking space any more...
Yup. I spend a lot of time driving up around D.C. You don't see many larger trucks and SUV's up there for a couple reasons: 1. They're a PITA to park and maneuver up there, and 2. Most people commute from a ways out....you'd flush more than the equivalent of a TDI payment each month in fuel (given the current fuel prices).

sandmansans

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta
Yup. I spend a lot of time driving up around D.C. You don't see many larger trucks and SUV's up there for a couple reasons: 1. They're a PITA to park and maneuver up there, and 2. Most people commute from a ways out....you'd flush more than the equivalent of a TDI payment each month in fuel (given the current fuel prices).
If we're talking daily driver wise...that's definitely the more economical/practical choice. For around town and light duty, something like that would be my recommendation. My next vehicle will likely be in the Forester or Outback size range.

As much as I like full-size SUV's...who knows when/if I'll get around to getting another one. As comfortable as they are to operate (interior space wise...you can't beat them). Well...short of a minivan. That's the other thing...most people that have SUV's are people that would be better served by a minivan (the Toyota Sienna is available in AWD, if you just have to have a AWD or 4WD).

At the end of the day though...Foresters and Rav 4's are small vehicles. If you want to do things like haul a 4,000+ lb trailer...take (at the same time) 2+ kids, a large dog, and stuff confortably, etc...a big SUV is a good option.
Well I live in Pennsylvania and the truck wouldn't get much use. Long road trips, towing and snow storms mainly. Daily driving would be left to my 2014 Jetta tdi and her 2009 Jetta 2.5. That's why I was thinking diesel like the q7, which she likes, or the Cherokee. I wish gm offered the Tahoe with a dirtymaxx....is buy that in a second!

sandmansans

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta
Well I live in Pennsylvania and the truck wouldn't get much use. Long road trips, towing and snow storms mainly. Daily driving would be left to my 2014 Jetta tdi and her 2009 Jetta 2.5. That's why I was thinking diesel like the q7, which she likes, or the Cherokee. I wish gm offered the Tahoe with a dirtymaxx....is buy that in a second!

And I've almost always had trucks. That and full size, old style cadillacs. Size isn't the biggest issue, but in terms of practically I'd like a mid size truck like the q7,cherokee, tuareg etc.. Suburban, Tahoe etc..too big for our needs. And like I mentioned before not a big fan of micro suvs or crossovers. Awd car would be considered if the towing wasn't a factor,but in this case it is.

LRTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
RIP 16 GSW... Just the LR diesel now
Acura MDX for everyday use. I preferred the Sequoia over the Land Cruiser and would like to add the Lexus RX models to your shopping list.

sandmansans

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta
Acura MDX for everyday use. I preferred the Sequoia over the Land Cruiser and would like to add the Lexus RX models to your shopping list.
Hmm good ones, didn't even think of them. The Acura is pretty nice looking too,especially for a Honda. Not a fan of their designs usually. I just don't get the pilot or ridgeline and sequoia would be a better fit as its smaller over the land cruiser.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
...sooo anyone willing to jump in and offer a non-retard babble reply, with actual relevance to my question?

Well, if you don't like my opinion, don't ask for it. However, it is your money afterall, so just do what you are inclined to do. No problem here............

FordGuy100

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI
Well, if you don't like my opinion, don't ask for it. However, it is your money afterall, so just do what you are inclined to do. No problem here............
"Any known issues for specific years and engine models?
How is the servicing experience in these cars? Can I do everything that I do to my 2014 tdi to the q7?

Any comparable competitor suvs?"

Your opinion didnt fit any of the above questions :confused:

sandmansans

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta
"Any known issues for specific years and engine models?

Any comparable competitor suvs?"

Your opinion didnt fit any of the above questions :confused:
Than you.
For the record that's not how I talk or carry myself on this forum. In fact out of all of my posts, I've only ever done so twice and both times it has been in reply to one of ol'rattlers replies. Seriously, every time I see a post by that clown he is always condecending, insulting and vulgar. His replies never add value to the conversation, community or forum. Just pure verbal diarrhea.

So as fordguy said, no thanks to your "opinion".
Take a hike.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Q7 = VW Touareg. Same thing under the skin. Presumably this would be with the 3.0 V6 TDI. Currently those are involved in the emissions scandal, which means you can't buy a new one nor CPO, but you might get a deal on a used one ... if you can find one.

These are very expensive vehicles, both to buy and to keep them going. I don't like SUVs in general (all the bad things about a car plus all the bad things about a truck and it doesn't do what a van does) ... but for the budget to buy an Audi Q7 you could likely get a late model Jeep Grand Cherokee with the gasoline V6 and the 8 speed automatic and still have money left over AND have warranty coverage left on it. The Chrysler 3.6 Pentastar V6 and the ZF/Chrysler 8-speed automatic are both very good. (FYI the late model Touareg and Audi Q7 use that same transmission)

In an earlier post you state that it won't be used for daily driving. Skip the diesel engine, it isn't worth it (both in fuel savings, nor in aggravation). For what it is, the Pentastar is good on fuel, good enough to make the diesel not worthwhile. I have a vehicle with a Pentastar - an enormous ProMaster van - and a friend has a Ram pickup with one. Normal consumption is around 11 - 12 L/100 km in both cases. For what it is and what I use it for, that will do. No turbo, no timing belt, no HPFP, no DPF, no SCR, no EGR.

Last edited:

sandmansans

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta
Q7 = VW Touareg. Same thing under the skin. Presumably this would be with the 3.0 V6 TDI. Currently those are involved in the emissions scandal, which means you can't buy a new one nor CPO, but you might get a deal on a used one ... if you can find one.

These are very expensive vehicles, both to buy and to keep them going. I don't like SUVs in general (all the bad things about a car plus all the bad things about a truck and it doesn't do what a van does) ... but for the budget to buy an Audi Q7 you could likely get a late model Jeep Grand Cherokee with the gasoline V6 and the 8 speed automatic and still have money left over AND have warranty coverage left on it. The Chrysler 3.6 Pentastar V6 and the ZF/Chrysler 8-speed automatic are both very good. (FYI the late model Touareg and Audi Q7 use that same transmission)
Yea I figured the Audi would be expensive to maintain because it is an Audi, but you are saying the tuareg is as well? I don't have experience with foreign suv or trucks, just domestic but I know that usually it's a lot cheaper to maintain let's say a suburban v.s. an escalade because of the mark up on the cadillac parts.
Also I'm glad you were able to chime in on the keep. I really like the way it looks, but my personal experience with Mopar all had transmission issues eventually. I was thinking about the eco diesel but there are some pretty crummy user reviews for it. I like the mopar v6 but was thinking diesel for the mpgs and v8 power .

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
My hobby is motorcycle roadracing but that pretty much goes hand in hand with tow rigs ...

Late model Touareg, Audi Q7, BMW X5, Ram trucks and Jeeps ALL use the ZF / Chrysler 8-speed transmission. Makes no difference what the badge on the vehicle is, they all use the same transmission. The only difference between the ZF and Chrysler units is where they're made and minor differences in the external case. I don't think you need to worry too much about them.

Early Pentastars had some issues with bad cylinder heads. This was fixed sometime in the 2013 model year and the ones that had problems (usually a cylinder #2 misfire code) should have been fixed under warranty by now. If you're buying a used one, this is one thing to check. Outside of that, they've been good. The Pentastar does need to rev in order to make power, that's just how they are.

The late (current) model Dodge Durango is the same under the skin as the Jeep Grand Cherokee. That's another option. (Friend has one as his tow rig - Hemi + 5 speed automatic in that case) The first couple of Durango generations were awful, but forget about all that with the new ones.

I would take the Jeep (or the Dodge) over the VW/Audi any day of the week. Easier to find a used one, easier to sell a used one, there's just more of them around. Easier to find a Chrysler dealer and if something happens, anyone can work on them.

Thinking about what else my fellow motorcycle roadracers use to haul their rigs around ... Ford Expedition, decent to drive, plan your day around the fuel stops. (5.4 with the thirst of a 7.4 and the power of a 2.4) Friend's rig has the old 4 speed automatic ... yuck. One guy had (just sold it) a GMT900 Cadillac Escalade. Transmission ... brakes ... nightmare. Another guy has a GMT900 Avalanche, which has been pretty good, but he doesn't like the 5.3 for towing. Another one has a Ram pickup with the Hemi and 5 speed automatic, which has been good.

emerscape

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI Lux
My wife has a 2014 Acadia slt and we love it. We previously had a 2003 expedition Eddie Bauer with the 5.4 which we purely loved but the Acadia is very comfortable and actually fits more than the expedition. Drives like a car and is decent on gas.

sandmansans

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta
My hobby is motorcycle roadracing but that pretty much goes hand in hand with tow rigs ...

Late model Touareg, Audi Q7, BMW X5, Ram trucks and Jeeps ALL use the ZF / Chrysler 8-speed transmission. Makes no difference what the badge on the vehicle is, they all use the same transmission. The only difference between the ZF and Chrysler units is where they're made and minor differences in the external case. I don't think you need to worry too much about them.

Early Pentastars had some issues with bad cylinder heads. This was fixed sometime in the 2013 model year and the ones that had problems (usually a cylinder #2 misfire code) should have been fixed under warranty by now. If you're buying a used one, this is one thing to check. Outside of that, they've been good. The Pentastar does need to rev in order to make power, that's just how they are.

The late (current) model Dodge Durango is the same under the skin as the Jeep Grand Cherokee. That's another option. (Friend has one as his tow rig - Hemi + 5 speed automatic in that case) The first couple of Durango generations were awful, but forget about all that with the new ones.

I would take the Jeep (or the Dodge) over the VW/Audi any day of the week. Easier to find a used one, easier to sell a used one, there's just more of them around. Easier to find a Chrysler dealer and if something happens, anyone can work on them.

Thinking about what else my fellow motorcycle roadracers use to haul their rigs around ... Ford Expedition, decent to drive, plan your day around the fuel stops. (5.4 with the thirst of a 7.4 and the power of a 2.4) Friend's rig has the old 4 speed automatic ... yuck. One guy had (just sold it) a GMT900 Cadillac Escalade. Transmission ... brakes ... nightmare. Another guy has a GMT900 Avalanche, which has been pretty good, but he doesn't like the 5.3 for towing. Another one has a Ram pickup with the Hemi and 5 speed automatic, which has been good.
Yea it's tough to narrow it down, as its both of our tastes that go into it. Me, I'd be happy with a Silverado DMax with a crew can or a full size suv like the Tahoe, suburban, land cruiser, LR4 etc. She obviously doesn't want not feels driving anything that big and would hate the idea of driving a pickup lol. But I didn't know that the mopar trans was found in so many different vehicles. Makes sense with Vw as they had that partnership with the routan. And I agree with taking mopar over the VAG SUV for the same reason of repair and maintenance. I may seem biased with this statement, but I think in terms of big engine vehicles we do it better than the Japanese and Germans..I know the exception of the Land Cruiser :) also Gen 1 Monteros were LEGENDARY! Would love to find one of those.
My wife has a 2014 Acadia slt and we love it. We previously had a 2003 expedition Eddie Bauer with the 5.4 which we purely loved but the Acadia is very comfortable and actually fits more than the expedition. Drives like a car and is decent on gas.
The Acadia is a sharp looking ride. I know she's mentioned before how she likes how they look. Do they offer the 5.3 with it?

sandmansans

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta
Another guy has a GMT900 Avalanche, which has been pretty good, but he doesn't like the 5.3 for towing. Another one has a Ram pickup with the Hemi and 5 speed automatic, which has been good.
Yea I like the 5.3 but I agree with your friend, towing loads with it isn't it's high point. I feel GM made a mistake in replacing the 5.7 With the 5.3 essentially from a lineup stand point. While the 5.3 get a all the power numbers it does so at high rpms...not ideal for pulling loads.. Although it's not bad when paired with Gm rpo code G80, the 4:10 rear diff. You can really pull then, but your mileage goes south FAST! We had a 6.0 with the 4:10 and gov lock rear. Damn truck could pull a house off a foundation, but you could only get 10mpg highway. That was with a tonneau cover and cruising at 65 lol. Might as well been in the 8.1 liter at that point lol.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
The Acadia is Lambda platform, along with Chevrolet Traverse. Transverse engine front drive. GM 3.6 "high feature" V6 and the front-drive 6 speed automatic which is shared with Ford. I know someone who has a Traverse as a company car, and he tows motorcycle trailers with it, generally pedal to the metal as he is not paying for neither fuel nor repairs, and it has been fine. It's nicer to drive than the rear-drive truck-based vehicles for sure.

I think the complaints with the 5.3 had more to do with transmission calibration ... it has trouble deciding what gear it wants to use when towing. The other guy with the Cadillac IIRC had the 6.0 ... but that one exploded its transmission at one point.

Higher revs are just how it is with the gas engine vehicles. They're designed for it, I let mine do what it wants except in the mountains (then it's better to lock it in 4th or 3rd depending how fast you are going). In the ProMaster, the gas engine is attached to Chrysler's hoary old 62TE, not the new 9-speed. Final drive gearing is pretty tall in the interest of economy ... which means it goes down to 5th at every uphill. Oh well. I'd rather have that and 11 L/100 km, than another friend's Chevrolet Express V8 and 16 L/100 km on the same trip ...

sandmansans

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta
The Acadia is Lambda platform, along with Chevrolet Traverse. Transverse engine front drive. GM 3.6 "high feature" V6 and the front-drive 6 speed automatic which is shared with Ford. I know someone who has a Traverse as a company car, and he tows motorcycle trailers with it, generally pedal to the metal as he is not paying for neither fuel nor repairs, and it has been fine. It's nicer to drive than the rear-drive truck-based vehicles for sure.

I think the complaints with the 5.3 had more to do with transmission calibration ... it has trouble deciding what gear it wants to use when towing. The other guy with the Cadillac IIRC had the 6.0 ... but that one exploded its transmission at one point.

Higher revs are just how it is with the gas engine vehicles. They're designed for it, I let mine do what it wants except in the mountains (then it's better to lock it in 4th or 3rd depending how fast you are going). In the ProMaster, the gas engine is attached to Chrysler's hoary old 62TE, not the new 9-speed. Final drive gearing is pretty tall in the interest of economy ... which means it goes down to 5th at every uphill. Oh well. I'd rather have that and 11 L/100 km, than another friend's Chevrolet Express V8 and 16 L/100 km on the same trip ...
Yea the caddy used the 4l60 whereas the silverado, avalanch and suburban used the 4l80 with the 6.0 . That's the problem. The 460 doesn't hold up as well with the torque and general hd use. I was told once that the 480 does draw more hp, so perhaps that's why they chose the 460 for the cadillac to give it the higerh hp rating it had. And if I'm not mistaken the 5.3 was also paired to the 460 across the whole,gm lineup, the trans is solid..proven with the 5.7. Perhaps pcm issues?. Overall I know the 5.3 is a screamer under load in comparison to the 5.7, which had both the 700r4 and the 460 in it's finAl years. I know that's a gasser by nature, but the 5.3 is the extreme!

APT

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL
If I didn't need to tow a travel trailer with our Suburban, I really like the Explorer Sport. Twin Turbo V6 AWD goodness. I would not touch the Qudi/VW 3L Diesel.

tobianogreg

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta returned
I've had a 4Runner since new in 2004. I got the 4.7 V8 because I had a 18' alum boat. Hands down it has been the best vehicle I've ever owned, superb in the snow and off road. The only bad thing is that it's full time 4WD and can be a little pricey for fuel. Coming up on 100,000 miles with no probs.