Advice on suv purchase

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
Suv's for the most part are for imbeciles. No, you don't need 4 wheel drive or the additional space to tote around 1 kid. The only time I got stuck with my front wheel drive Jetta was when the snow was so deep I high centered. A 4x4 would have been stuck in the same situation.

Seriously, a 4X4 makes absolutely zero sense unless you are doing a lot of off road driving. In snowy conditions, it seems like most of the folks that are backwards and off the road are people that drive 4X4's.
Good Lord.

Another one for the ignore pile.

TdiRN

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 VW Jetta, 5 speed, 400k milesish
We have 16 month old twins -- ever tried to carry a twin stroller with a Costco shopping trip load?
Agreed. Or 2 adults, 2 kids (in car seats), 2 dogs, double stroller, plus all the family stuff on a road trip? And have the ability to climb into the back seat?

bubbagumpshrimp

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta TDI
Agreed. Or 2 adults, 2 kids (in car seats), 2 dogs, double stroller, plus all the family stuff on a road trip? And have the ability to climb into the back seat?
Hey...a Jetta Sportwagen would be PLENTY of space for that.:rolleyes: Lol.

Quick7

TDI
2002 Jetta GLS, 2011 Golf Wagon Highline
This is just my opinion...
I can't stand the "Cute Ute" vehicles that are all the rage currently. I would honestly rather have my Golf Wagon than any of them. My friend had a Rav 4, with all wheel drive, it got stuck more often then my VW!
That said, I love proper 4 wheel drive vehicles. I live in the sticks and have a need to haul stuff and get around in some serious snow and ice, that's why I have a 4x4 Truck (4 high, 4 low and a locking rear diff).
I have my Golf Wagon and a 06 GMC Sierra 1/2 ton crew cab. The VW is my daily driver and the GMC is there when I need it. It's been bulletproof, tows anything I want and is very comfortable on road trips and is easy to service.
My advice would be to consider keeping the TDI for when you don't need the extra space, and purchasing a slightly used truck or proper SUV (4 runner, Touareg, Jeep) with a proper 4x4 drivetrain for when you need it. Of Course, this assumes you have space for 2 vehicles :)
Just my 2cents. Good luck with whatever you decide!

Last edited:

Quick7

TDI
2002 Jetta GLS, 2011 Golf Wagon Highline
The "cute ute" is today's wagon/hatchback. And people want to sit up high (rightly or wrongly).
^ Exactly. I'm just sayin that I think in most situations a wagon (including an Audi quattro / Subaru Awd wagon) or a proper 4X4 is a better option than a "cute ute".

Again, just my 2cents.

TdiRN

Veteran Member
TDI
I don't think a 4x4 is ever really a bad idea. At least where I live you definitely get a higher resale value.

kydsid

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
Hey...a Jetta Sportwagen would be PLENTY of space for that.:rolleyes: Lol.
Have you seen the size of car seats lately? If the parents are tall no small vehicle works. Im 6'2"". A car seat behind me fits with 0 extra room in both the Passat (only with the seat just a little forward of where I like it) AND fits with no extra room in my F150 (with my seat in preffered location).

When a tall adult and car seat barely fit in one if the biggest cabs (crew F150) on the market I cant fathom it in a Golf, Jetta or JSW.

Eurotrs

TDI
99.5 Jetta
I went through the same set of choices of few years ago. I wanted something that could tow a trailer of 3-4K lbs but reliability was my main concern. I narrowed it down to a Toyota 4runner. I like the look of the 4runner because it is still a full framed truck! I was replacing an allroad, and am I huge VW audi fan(other cars include a 911 and a VW super beetle) but after 4 years of owning a Toyota 4Runner, I don't think I will go back to a german car for a daily driver.

I bought a V6 2008 4runner with 60K on it from the original owner, I have every service record, which only includes oil changes and one set of tires, until I received it. It now has 99K on it, still on all original parts, right down to the brake pads, I did change the spark plugs, air and cabin filter......that's it! It drives like new, my one complaint is wear on the drivers seat. I will love vws/audis and always will, but you pay a premium in maintenance and running costs.

bubbagumpshrimp

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta TDI
Have you seen the size of car seats lately? If the parents are tall no small vehicle works. Im 6'2"". A car seat behind me fits with 0 extra room in both the Passat (only with the seat just a little forward of where I like it) AND fits with no extra room in my F150 (with my seat in preffered location).

When a tall adult and car seat barely fit in one if the biggest cabs (crew F150) on the market I cant fathom it in a Golf, Jetta or JSW.
Yup. I'm 6'4". Space wise...I really miss my F-150 (I had a SuperCrew too). The only downside with that vehicle was the fuel economy. Whenever I can get out of my car, I'm going to go get a used truck and just deal with the fuel economy. I'm tired of spending 2+ hours/day in a small car.

Edit: The other thing this brings to mind is that there's a BIG difference between being able to seat 4-5 people and being able to seat 4-5 good size adults comfortably.

Last edited:

TdiRN

Veteran Member
TDI
Yup. I'm 6'4". Space wise...I really miss my F-150 (I had a SuperCrew too). The only downside with that vehicle was the fuel economy. Whenever I can get out of my car, I'm going to go get a used truck and just deal with the fuel economy. I'm tired of spending 2+ hours/day in a small car.
This is the reason I have the Excursion and F150. The F150 supercrew is HUGE. We did the car seat test at the dealers. With the seats all the way back I still have 4 inches or more between seat and car seat. Even the Excursion doesn't have that kinda room between the rows. That F150 supercrew had more room than dodge and chevy. Its a blast to drive 365hp and 420lbs torque gets you moving when those 2 turbos kick in. On the highway I can still get 20mpg too!

bubbagumpshrimp

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta TDI
This is the reason I have the Excursion and F150. The F150 supercrew is HUGE. We did the car seat test at the dealers. With the seats all the way back I still have 4 inches or more between seat and car seat. Even the Excursion doesn't have that kinda room between the rows. That F150 supercrew had more room than dodge and chevy. Its a blast to drive 365hp and 420lbs torque gets you moving when those 2 turbos kick in. On the highway I can still get 20mpg too!
I had the older 5.4L. It was more thirsty. 13 MPG average and 16 MPG if it was 100% highway driving. All around though (with the exception of fuel economy)...it was a great vehicle. I hauled a ton of crushed stone in the bed (a short distance, lol), took several 500+ mile road trips, and it was VERY comfortable to ride around in.

TdiRN

Veteran Member
TDI
Sounds like Excursion mpg number! 10-11 mpg around town and i've seen as high as 16mpg driving on highway. But it is awesome for road trips. Granted she is a thirsty girl but its fun to drive and its probably the safest thing on the road for the wife and kids short of a sherman tank.

If the Excursion is a land yacht then virtually any VW vehicle is the dingy :)