Volkswagen's Clean Air Act violations on 2009+ TDIs spark huge recall, investigations

Status
Not open for further replies.

bring

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Jetta SEL, DSG
The alternative was to use a urea based system, which is what the Passat uses as well as Mercedes Benz. My 2013 has the AdBlue system

All 2015 VWs and A3 use AdBlue as well - it's the reason Golfs and GSWs don't have an independent rear suspension

ChemMan

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen TDI
More Top Executives at VW Feeling the Heat

--
Volkswagen has suspended the R&D chiefs of its core VW brand, luxury division Audi and sports-car maker Porsche, sources familiar with the matter said on Monday.

The carmaker's supervisory board last Friday agreed to put a number of employees on leave until the details of VW's emissions cheating scandal were cleared up, without providing names.

Reuters reported last Thursday that VW would fire top brand executives as it tries to recover from the scandal.

Audi, VW and Porsche declined comment.

---
Porsche huh? There are no Porsche vehicle in the recall right? Also the R&D heads for three divisions, what happened to a few rogue low level employees?

nwdiver

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI (sold); 2012 Tesla Model S
Nah, you've got it all wrong, it's keeping NOx levels high for the sake of p̶e̶r̶f̶o̶r̶m̶a̶n̶c̶e̶ global warming ;) Think of the poor polar bears.:D
Very true... but there are ways to mitigate global warming that don't require poisoning our cities. PV + EV = :D

14tdipassat

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 Passat SE 6M
Oh God. Let's continue with this logic.

Roughly 1/3 of fatal crashes involve alcohol. So 2/3 of fatal crashes do NOT involve drunk drivers. Are you saying that since the majority of fatal car crashes involve sober drivers, we should all drink and drive?

(Of course not. But 'speeding' in and of itself doesn't cause fatalities.)

Todd_y

TDI
2012 Golf Highline mt
If VW could have solved it with a software fix why didn't they back in May? They spent five months working on a software fix and at that point regulators will pretty clear that they fix it or it goes public. If they would have fixed it in May this story would have been buried on page 38, VW likely could have agreed to an update without admitting fault, and they would be selling 2016 vehicles right now.
The fact that they didn't fix it would seem to indicate they may not be able to fix it with just a software flash.
Excellent points... my conspiratorial view of corporate/government collusion and consequent control and staging of information may be colliding with the "denial" stage of grief. Here I thought I had worked my way past "denial", breezed through "anger", passed through "depression" late last week, and on to "acceptance" this weekend when I did a nice hand-wash and paste wax on my Golf (united grey metallic- so teutonic). Dang it if I am still in denial, lots of work to do :)

TDILeo

Veteran Member
TDI
CW 2011 Golf TDI 6M Repurchased By VW 1/30/17 1985 VW GTI
Getting keyed (and the pollution). That's what I'm worried about..... That's why I'm no longer driving mine. Fortunately my 1999 Toyota with 270K miles is running just fine. Hard to believe it pollutes less than the VW though......
Yep. I drive my 85 GTI as my daily...it too has about 270k. I seldom drive my TDI except to the beach. Odometer under 6k miles.

pfennig

TDI
2014 Jetta SportWagen TDI w/ Sunroof
More Top Executives at VW Feeling the Heat

--
Volkswagen has suspended the R&D chiefs of its core VW brand, luxury division Audi and sports-car maker Porsche, sources familiar with the matter said on Monday.

The carmaker's supervisory board last Friday agreed to put a number of employees on leave until the details of VW's emissions cheating scandal were cleared up, without providing names.
---
I know the VW board has to look like it's doing something, but seems like cutting off the head will make the body less intelligent about how to actually solve the problem...... "We have a technical problem that was covered up, lets fire all the top technical problem solvers just in case they were the ones who knew about the coverup!" [facepalm].

SageBrush

Veteran Member
TDI
None
Porsche huh? There are no Porsche vehicle in the recall right? Also the R&D heads for three divisions, what happened to a few rogue low level employees?
In the defense of PR ambiguity, the VW announcement said "technicians and engineers." That covers a lot of ground :p

"Low" might only mean 'the board is willing to throw everybody else under the bus'

SageBrush

Veteran Member
TDI
None
"We have a technical problem that was covered up, lets fire all the top technical problem solvers just in case they were the ones who knew about the coverup!".
Not the technical expertise, the managers.

Smart move, VW

SageBrush

Veteran Member
TDI
None
Oh God. Let's continue with this logic.

Roughly 1/3 of fatal crashes involve alcohol. So 2/3 of fatal crashes do NOT involve drunk drivers. Are you saying that since the majority of fatal car crashes involve sober drivers, we should all drink and drive?
Normalize your data.

nakkers

TDI
2014 Golf Wagen TDI DSG CL
Volkswagen's Clean Air Act violations on 2009+ TDIs trigger massive recall, s...

Washed my car yesterday and found someone had thrown a red slurpee at it.

Really?

REALLY???

I don't need the public false outrage.

nwdiver

Veteran Member
TDI
Where does 'false outrage' end and the 'weird' desire to make clean air and a stable climate our legacy instead of smog and rising sea levels begin?

Rockwater

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Sportwagen, manual
i purchased my TDI just last year. first time TDI owner, long time vw customer. 2014 passat sel tdi out the door for 30k i think it was. the Dealership i purchased from "Priority" in Richmond VA has already emailed me offering a buy back option however they offered NADA average. so out of curiosity i looked up what that is. lol below 19k with 35k miles. that seems crazy low. i thought tdi's held resale better.
Emick VW here in Denver just sent me a trade in offer of $8900 for my 2010 TDI Sportwagen with 105k miles. Will be sticking to the original plan of running it into the ground.

croppz

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 DSG Jetta TDI
Washed my car yesterday and found someone had thrown a red slurpee at it.

Really?

REALLY???

A friend of mine lives just outside of Portland and his Golf TDI was egged a few nights ago. Nobody else on his street or neighborhood was touched, only that car. Was the only TDI in the driveway, there was a VR6 swapped MK1 cabrio, a subaru forester and an SUV in the driveway.

People suck

PC Dave

Veteran Member
TDI
Other
Let's not forget that VW has been aware of this since 2014. They've had plenty of time to work on a fix.
Not so sure about that. That implies there's been co-ordination between the US and German engineering groups, and that VW knew since Day One early last year that it would come to this. The pattern that's come out seems to indicate deception and then an attempt to implement a fix that didn't work, and then continued denial, confrontation, etc. If VW was really working on a fix all this time, the attitude would have been more collegial and accepting, with a request to "give us a few months" to work this out.

Remember that the only reason that Germany's gone off the deep end with a 10 day deadline is that VW admitted deceit after several rounds of lying and hostility. I'm not at all sure that there's some magic bullet ready to go; if there was, it would have been announced immediately after the EPA/CARB announcement.

VWturbodiesel

TDI
Passat Tdi
I'm only worry about resale value. I don't care how much NOx makes, since it's all very small compare what are humans reproduce everyday, like cutting forest, drilling all kind, sailing ships, airplanes, distractions, wars, using all kind weapons, almost every other lake is bad to swim due the bacteria and so on and on .....

divewreck

TDI
2012 A3 TDI
All 2015 VWs and A3 use AdBlue as well - it's the reason Golfs and GSWs don't have an independent rear suspension
Unless the newer A3 diesels (15&16) have it, previous A3's do not use Adblue. I know my 12 doesn't use it

nwdiver

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm only worry about resale value. I don't care how much NOx makes, since it's all very small compare what are humans reproduce everyday, like cutting forest, drilling all kind, sailing ships, airplanes, distractions, wars, using all kind weapons, almost every other lake is bad to swim due the bacteria and so on and on .....
Hmmm.... makes sense... reducing NOx and cleaning our air so we don't have smog isn't worth it because there will still be other problems...... wait.... what?

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Emick VW here in Denver just sent me a trade in offer of $8900 for my 2010 TDI Sportwagen with 105k miles. Will be sticking to the original plan of running it into the ground.
I was wondering when these offers would start rolling out, heck I bet you can get a decent deal on a nice 328d, sales of those are gonna fall like a rock just by association

tdibigd

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE w/DSG, black on black
RE: keying and eggs - I'm waiting for someone to demand free car washes and bodywork repair for life

cowgirlkaboom

TDI
2011 Golf
'Self entitled' people are annoying... but I'll take that any day over a callous disregard for public health.

Or maybe just having too many humans in general and congregating them in one place, and making them travel to and from jobs that could be done remotely could be part of the issue. At least that is how I generate most of my pollution. Travel to an office, bang on keyboard all day, go home. Typical tech work, actual need to in person discussions is rare.

Last edited:

nwdiver

Veteran Member
TDI
Or maybe just having too many humans in general and congregating them in one place, and making them travel to and from jobs that could be done remotely could be part of the issue. At least that is how I generate most of my pollution. Travel to an office, bang on keyboard all day, go home. Typical tech work, actual need to in person discussions is rare.
Ah... so that's why there's so much smog inside stadiums with tens of thousands of people.... oh... wait ;)

No.... pretty sure it's the burning of hydro-carbons inside the cities that's the problem...

If you exhale into a bottle and it looks like this... you need to see a doctor...

evolDiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW 6MT (and several others in the past)
This thread has taught me that there are TDI owners who grew up driving diesels... and then there are a bunch of whining little *****es who want a handout. I can't believe how many of the latter we have in this thread. I am disappoint.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.