Is VoA really retarded....

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
You wouldn't use that word in any professional or public setting and you shouldn't use it here.

"grow up" how ironic :rolleyes:
"He said a BAD word!!"

Tom,
I have used the word 'retard' in the past and I will use it in the future anytime I feel its' use is warranted. You are acting as if somehow the rest of us don't care about the mentally challenged. You could not be more incorrect about this..

Bill

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
Here's some reading for you, Bill. You might want to change your vocabulary.
http://www.r-word.org/r-word-effects-of-the-word.aspx

Its offensive and hateful to many people, so please don't use it here.

Here is what the tdiclub forum rules have to say:
You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this Discussion Forum to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise violative of any law.

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
Here's some reading for you, Bill. You might want to change your vocabulary.
http://www.r-word.org/r-word-effects-of-the-word.aspx

Its offensive and hateful to many people, so please don't use it here.

Here is what the tdiclub forum rules have to say:

Tom.

Thanks for the link. I learned a lot when I read it.

You are a HERO, A LEADER, and A HUMAN BEING.

Now go away, there is no hate here. just adults using ADULT language whose meaning was badly misconstrued by you as well as others.

Bill

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Its not adult language, but it is in the vocabulary of a-holes.

82racin

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
Copied from Urbandictionary.com

retarded-
In this day and age, "retarded" is just another word for cool, dope, tight, chill, or whatever you say when you like something.

Now I'm really confused....:)

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
What about the word "gay" used in a derogatory way, would you be OK with that too? You can probably find an alternate meaning in urbandictionary.com.

WutGas?

Veteran Member
TDI
The Last Real Jetta Sedan
I'm okay with gay as well. It gets tossed around a lot in my circle, mostly by the.....wait for it....gays. I have tons of gay friends. None of them take offense to it. In fact, they use it regularly.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
If you want to call your gay friends faggots, fine. If they take offence, they can defend themselves.

When you call a retarded person a retard, most often, they can't defend themselves.

While I agree that our society puts way too much emphasis on being PC, I draw the line at our intellectually challenged/ special needs/ retarded population, since most often, they don't have the ability to stand for themselves.

That being said, I recall a conversation between a Special Olympics athlete and her coach where they said something was retarded. She was a high functioning athlete that had a much better understanding of her words and they only talked that way amongst themselves.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
This discussion is gaytarded.
Yeah, this thread started on a low note and it has continued to go down hill ever since. If people just left it alone, it would die a quiet death. If people continue on as it is, this thread is begging for a lock. Just my opinion.

Have Fun!

Don

JarHead

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 TDI Golf Gone But not forgotten. 2000 Jetta TDi Kerma Tuned
Someone please lock this thread.

Fyi day 23 and still no lien of release. I'm about to give up. With daily calls to Volkswagen and still nothing.

Rob_MacCara

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi Q3 gasser
I'd vote for a lock on this thread. The people that can't/won't understand that using the "R" word as slang or a put down, are not only showing their immaturity, but disregard the feelings of mentally challenged and those that are near and dear to them.
The reference to the Urbandictionary goes on to define a "retard" as: An offensive term used to refer to someone acting in an irritating or generally stupid way.
Take two minutes and watch this video.
Every time you use the word "retard" or call someone/something "retarded", you hurt those of us that love someone with a mental disability or are delayed in their developement.

I hope that VoA comes through and send your lien soon.

WutGas?

Veteran Member
TDI
The Last Real Jetta Sedan
I think the immaturity falls on the people who take a word out of context and turn it into their personal agenda and hop on their soap box to call everyone who disagrees with them immature.

JarHead

Veteran Member
TDI
I'd vote for a lock on this thread. The people that can't/won't understand that using the "R" word as slang or a put down, are not only showing their immaturity, but disregard the feelings of mentally challenged and those that are near and dear to them.
The reference to the Urbandictionary goes on to define a "retard" as: An offensive term used to refer to someone acting in an irritating or generally stupid way.
Take two minutes and watch this video.
Every time you use the word "retard" or call someone/something "retarded", you hurt those of us that love someone with a mental disability or are delayed in their developement.

I hope that VoA comes through and send your lien soon.
You really have no clue what your talking about do you? I was in no way making fun of anyone mentally handicapped...

eparker202

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Beetle Convertible 6MT TDI
ok, Ladies, we do not need you to repeat your opinions. Some find it offensive, some mean it to be offensive, and some use it without meaning to be offensive to mentally challenged individuals. Either way, VWoA is being retarded (they are slow in responding to the lien). But despite your belief you were not trying to offend mentally challenged people, it still offended them and those associated with them. So, in conclusion, in your opinion you werent being offensive to mentally challenged individuals and their associates, and to a few associates of mentally challenged individuals or mentally challenged individuals them selves, their opinion states you were being offensive. So in my opinion we will not change each other minds so lets continue bashing VWoA and leave the retard issue alone as we already know everyones opinions. And it is also in my opinion that i was being offensive to females by calling all the b*tching people Ladies, but you are also being offensive to the female population if you take offense to that comment, you should actually take it as a compliment to avoid any and all offensive thoughts/words/pictures blah blah blah.

mrmmacd77

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI Premium
Hehe Mamby pamby land...

I really wanted to thrash on this topic but I think I'm gonna do what the kids in southpark did on one episode with special needs children, and just stay out of it...

Rob_MacCara

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi Q3 gasser
I find it ironic that Jarhead's signature says, "Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem." and yet he doesn't realize (or ignores the fact) that the difference he makes when using the "R" word is highly offensive to some. It doesn't matter if JarHead believes it to be offensive, the fact that someone says it is offensive to them makes it offensive.
You really have no clue what your talking about do you? I was in no way making fun of anyone mentally handicapped...
Let me spell it out by the numbers with small words for you then.
Referring to someone or something as "retard" or "retarded" is offensive to the mentally handicapped and those that love them.

Last edited:

Conrad -JSW

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW DSG
I find it ironic that Jarhead's signature says, "Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem." and yet he doesn't realize (or ignores the fact) that the difference he makes when using the "R" word is highly offensive to some. It doesn't matter if JarHead believes it to be offensive, the fact that someone says it is offensive to them makes it offensive.
Referring to someone or something as "retard" or "retarded" is offensive to the mentally handicapped and those that love them.
But he's cut from a different breed... (Whatever that means. I wonder if he told VOA that?)

RNDDUDE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
We'll be right back to the politically correct program called "The Good, the Bad, and the Beauty Impaired."

JarHead

Veteran Member
TDI
Now you you just said the "R" word twice that is offensive to me. Get off your soap box. How about this do yourself a favor and stop before you say something stupid. Marines don't have to worry about the fact that we made a difference because everyday my BROTHERS AND SISTERS are over is some foreign country laying down their life's for you and me and everyone in the great nation. We are Marine's we are proud and we will stomp the ever living crap out of anyone who has a problem with the way we are. Now go back to you little cubicle and push up your glasses and focus on the words I'm going to say to you. I am not being offensive if you would like me to be I can. I have a cousin with special needs he is in no way offended by the way I talk in fact you should hear the words that come out of his mouth. Get it?? Probably not your still going to have some dumb reply about how I'm the worst person in the world. Do us all a favor and don't.

JarHead

Veteran Member
TDI
But he's cut from a different breed... (Whatever that means. I wonder if he told VOA that?)
It means you wouldn't have a clue what it takes to be one of us. But I dare anyone who thinks they can to go to boot camp live threw 3 months of Hell and I'll be standing there on the grinder to welcome them in to the brotherhood. We are few and we are proud. Once you've earned it then you will understand until then....well you know.