Audi A6 Avant 2.5 V6 TDI Quattro

fjtwelve

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Audi 2.5TDi A6 Avant 180hp modified 2004 A4 Avant 1.9TDi quattro Sport 130hp + Superchip, 1997 Audi A4 TDI SE 90hp now sold
Rub87 said:
do you think the shudder is the same phenomenea like in 1.9 tdi when you use big head/nozzles and don't hammer mod, so IQ is bottomed out..?
I'm afraid i haven't read up on the 1.9Tdi so not familiar with the problem. Given that the last remap was to reduce fuelling I can only think that the judder is something to do with overfuelling.

fjtwelve

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Audi 2.5TDi A6 Avant 180hp modified 2004 A4 Avant 1.9TDi quattro Sport 130hp + Superchip, 1997 Audi A4 TDI SE 90hp now sold
After a few prods from others i have started looking for straight through exhaust prices and looking for info on how big an intercooler should be. All advice welcome as always.

mojogoes

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk3 tdi golf
hi steve, nothing really happening at the moment, cars been standing for 6 months because of a ban on my license, 150mph somewhere on the a406, now got it back so i need to do a service, change discs/pads for some larger ones, one of my springs is broken so gona put some eibachs.

Then hopefully chris will help with the turbo upgrade etc

Do you know anything about this GT2559v turbo off the renault?
Sorry Fez no! but i'm sure that there's plenty of people on this forum that do , a 150mph:eek: what were you in?

im570rm

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi a6 avant 2.5 tdi quattro
i have seen it on 1.9 tdi,spools worst then 2260vk,but results are pretty much the same.

adamss24

Veteran Member
TDI
audi a4 2.5 tdi 98 quatrro 6speed
i have seen it on 1.9 tdi,spools worst then 2260vk,but results are pretty much the same.
How about on v6 tdi's (AKE 180Bhp) ? The housing/exhaust flange is the same as the GT2052, its easy to clock and it's water cooled as well... I have fiited this to me a4 tdi quattro but never got time to plumb the coolant and the oil line as i have another projects wich i'm busy with... Need to find a decent exhaust fabricator so i can build a downpipe without the evil pre-cat !

Scott_DeWitt

Vendor
TDI
2000 Audi A4 1.9TDI quattro
How about on v6 tdi's (AKE 180Bhp) ? The housing/exhaust flange is the same as the GT2052, its easy to clock and it's water cooled as well... I have fiited this to me a4 tdi quattro but never got time to plumb the coolant and the oil line as i have another projects wich i'm busy with... Need to find a decent exhaust fabricator so i can build a downpipe without the evil pre-cat !
i have several turbos removed from AKE engines and none are water cooled. In fact I don't know of any factory TDI turbochargers that are water cooled.

adamss24

Veteran Member
TDI
i have several turbos removed from AKE engines and none are water cooled. In fact I don't know of any factory TDI turbochargers that are water cooled.
Hi Scott, i was on about the Garrett GT 2559 as fitted to the 3.0L DCI renault Scenic VeilSatis and some Saabs 3.0 diesel. The GT2559 is watercooled and its a bolt on onto the v6 tdi AKE engine. I have a few pictures of the both pictures side by side...

fjtwelve

Veteran Member
TDI
Gaffa taped my phone to the steering wheel this morning and tried to video some acceleration. Those with motion sickness fetch a bucket. Starts off at a roundabout then after a very short blip i got stuck behind a Citroen C4 for miles, which i edited out. You may hear a slight sigh of annoyance as we hit a 3 lane hill climb whereupon he moved into the 3rd lane in font of me and stayed there until halfway up the hill. Dick. Sharp exit at the next junction and with a bit of squirming around the roundabout i got a clear run for up to about 120 before the next roundabout where the phone ran out of video memory. And i only just made the plane , officer.

For those of you interested in numbers put this in the "started off going around a roundabout " section, i took these off the free video editing software freeze frame i found

40-50 1.2 sec
50-60 1.6 sec
60-70 1.6 sec
70-80 2.3 sec (i am crap at gearchanges)
80-90 2.1 sec (see told you)
90-100 2.7 sec
100 -110 3.7 sec
110-118 2.8sec

So, we need to move that peak hp up the rev range or at least sustain it for another 1000rpm. And i need to practice my gearchanging. Bigger brakes .... they do fade when i'm giving it stick like this. Sorry about the Jeremy Clarkson style jeans by the way

fjtwelve

Veteran Member
TDI
Thinking about replacing the exhaust.
Exhaust guy has suggested twin 57mm pipes (bigger area than a 75mm pipe), balancer pipe at same point original pipes run through the same muffler, each with a muffler. Any comment? Need to detail turbo to branch, was thinking may be this needs to be 75mm?

Mikkijayne

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi S8
I think your exhaust man is rather missing the point with the balancer pipe, since you only have one turbo and one downpipe ;) It would work for a conventional Vee engine with two separate exhausts, but theres no need for it on the V6 TDI.

I noticed that the stock downpipe was pretty large in places - up to 75mm I think, so if you could build the whole thing that big that would probably be beneficial. I'm going to try to build one that big for mine, although I only have a 1.9 pushing the same turbo round :)

It might also be worth looking at the S6 exhaust too - I think that is either 55 or 57mm, and is the same overall shape. If you can fit that then all you need to do is make a new downpipe.

Mikkijayne

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi S8
Well that sucks! Why on earth would they make it like that? :confused:

Not like it needs heat shielding - there's a ton of it under there already...

I have to say the exhaust system on the V6 TDI is the wierdest I've ever seen. So many changes in diameter and pipes within pipes. God knows what they were thinking when they designed it. I used to think they did everything for a reason, even if I didn't know what it was, but having worked on the AKE I think they just designed it like that simply because they hated everyone and wanted to make it as difficult and stupid and unreliable as possible :(

This is mine as it stands today :p

Afaik the worlds only C5 A6 1.9 TDI Quattro :cool: Rust in pieces stupid POS AKE engine!

diffas

Veteran Member
TDI
B5q A4 Avant 2.5TDi+, B7q A4 Avant 3.0TDi
I believe the main reasons are heatshielding and reducing exhaust sounds. I ran my car with just stock downpipe bolted on and it was pretty good to drive around - after replacing it with 3" pipe the noise was too damn loud, even for me who likes noisy. :)

fjtwelve

Veteran Member
TDI
After i got my brain back together on Saturday from Arthurs Day in Dublin (Thursday, Arthur Guiness has got a lot to answer for) i thought that what the exhaust guy had said on Friday sounded a bit weird. So another chat this pm straightened a few things out and i'll be up on the ramps on Friday to see if he can figure out getting 75mm all the way to the back through the rear axles. With a muffler and smart tailpece to be sure.
Take the point on heat shielding, may need to check that. (Whatever Audi did with the exhaust it is tough, mine is still original after 9 years and 213000 miles)
In the meantime I am just enjoying driving away from people on the A30 as i am flying out of Exeter every week just now and have a 100 mile blip to the airport. Makes Monday mornings much more acceptable.

adamss24

Veteran Member
TDI

Not like it needs heat shielding - there's a ton of it under there already...

I have to say the exhaust system on the V6 TDI is the wierdest I've ever seen. So many changes in diameter and pipes within pipes. God knows what they were thinking when they designed it. I used to think they did everything for a reason, even if I didn't know what it was, but having worked on the AKE I think they just designed it like that simply because they hated everyone and wanted to make it as difficult and stupid and unreliable as possible :(

This is mine as it stands today :p

Afaik the worlds only C5 A6 1.9 TDI Quattro :cool: Rust in pieces stupid POS AKE engine!
Pretty tidy that swap ! Can you post a few pictures of the way you welded the manifold and the way you fixed/clocked the turbo ? I am planning on fitting a built-up engine to a 1.9 tdi quattro a4 on wich i am planning to fit a VNT 20 and some firad/bosio nozzles and 11mm pump... Will you keep the v6 tdi front intercooler or you will have just one side intercooler ? Is it running yet ? Regards, Chris.

fjtwelve

Veteran Member
TDI
Proposal

Take the turbo off to get access to the down pipe. To make sure the flange properly mated to the turbo ,cut the flange off the original pipe to use as the end of the new one. He reckons this cuts down on problems with differential expansion rates between the stainless steel and the turbo body. Make a short section of 75mm and then put the flexi coupling in, theres no room for the size of it where the existing one is. 75mm all the way from there following the same route as the existing twin pipe until you get past the rear diff. Then split into 2 57mm pipes with a Y branch. 2 mufflers where the existing rear mufflers are and two tail pipes
Getting 75mm up the front end is going to be a complete *****, he reckons 4hrs fabrication for the down pipe alone. Alternatively go for 63mm all through and save a 100 quid. Hmmm. Pondering that over the weekend. Anybody want to buy my original system?

Comments please

Mikkijayne

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi S8
Your system should be the same as mine in that the first thing that bolts to the turbo is the pre-cat. That obviously has the flange and then a bit of 50mm, which you will need to keep so that you can do up the bolts. You'd struggle to get much bigger than 55 right up to the turbo because of the spacing on the studs.

If you're cutting the pre-cat up then you could probably flare the original pipe up to attach a 75 or 63 to it and go from there. Thats what I'm doing with mine, although I made a new flange from scratch.

fjtwelve

Veteran Member
TDI
Talked about flaring out to 75, thats whats we are going for. Going for 75mm, booked in for beginning of November, remap to follow

Mikkijayne

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi S8
Talked about flaring out to 75, thats whats we are going for. Going for 75mm, booked in for beginning of November, remap to follow
I think I'm going for 75 too - there should be plenty of space with the turbo on the side. Trickier with it where yours is, but hopefully worth it :)

I emailed Celtic about mapping mine but they never replied, which was disappointing...

fjtwelve

Veteran Member
TDI
Surprised Celtic didn't return your enquiry, emailed Graham today and he's still happy to carry on with mine. If you want to PM me your details i'll ask him about it.

adamss24

Veteran Member
TDI
Any news with the downpipe mate ? I am in desperate need for one as i just came across a brand new ABT sportsline dual exhaust with twin outlets and just fitted that to me a6 v6 tdi quattro but they mount on the existing pipes wich i find a bit too restrictive ! The kit came with adaptors to fit larger pipes and i am using the smallest ones...I also cnocked the cats out (some debris left inside the RHS cat) but the system is wisper quiet ! I wish it had a nice growl to it but the turbo does a good job at silencing the engine... The exhaust sits a bit proud but i kinda like-it like that. looking for a new bumper to have the allroad pannel grafted to then the ABT Sportsline grill will go on and maybe i'll finish them ABT splitties i have in me garden for over a year ! Here are a few pics.

adamss24

Veteran Member
TDI
You'll be surprised how quiet they are with the exhaust removed, nothing like a petrol engine. The v6 is wisper quiet with just the downpipes on. Hope fjtwelve can get his exhaust man to knock a few downpipes for the a6 quattro as i am after 2 of them ! Looking forward to hear your feedback on how good the 1.9 tdi will pull the sheer weight of the a6 quattro !

Mikkijayne

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi S8
I was actually quite surprised at how loud the 1.9 was in my Corrado when I ran it with just a downpipe.

So far however, the A6 is utterly silent because I just cannot get the immobiliser to code in :mad: I can't find any tools that can read the pin from the cluster, and it also seems that I have an immo 2 ecu and an immo 3 cluster which won't talk to each other :(

I think now my only option is an immo delete, which I really really don't want to do.

fjtwelve

Veteran Member
TDI
Sorry, wasn't paying attention for the last few days. Booked in for week on Thursday. I looked at the double tailpipes but decided it was too much, just having a single straight slightly oval tailpipe each side.

You want 2 downpipes? I'll ask him if he wants to do it. Maybe we'll get a bulk discount

adamss24

Veteran Member
TDI
Sorry, wasn't paying attention for the last few days. Booked in for week on Thursday. I looked at the double tailpipes but decided it was too much, just having a single straight slightly oval tailpipe each side.

You want 2 downpipes? I'll ask him if he wants to do it. Maybe we'll get a bulk discount
Yeah man, i want 2... got a b5 a4 quattro and the c5 a6 quattro...