Standheizung Supplement Install Instructions

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
That Euro is really kicking our collective asses, isn't it?
Right in the wallet.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
as diesel cars continue their expansion into mainstream, this lack of in-cabin heat is becoming a widespread issue. The mfrs are making attempts to rectify it and some will start to fit supplemental heaters. I think Jaguar will be one of the first.

With diesel cars taking nearly 50% of the market in Europe, everyone and anyone could end up with a diesel - - not just people doing big annual mileage. People are complaining left and right about freezing during the cold months as many cars are driven short distances and never warm up.

DPM

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2019 Rav4 AWD Hybrid, Citroen C4 BlueHDI
Toyota and D-C are using a viscous coupling device, Peugeot use coolant GPs like VW, Suzuki use a PTC matrix inside the heater.
The Espar/ Webasto has been a factory option for many Toyotas for some years, cames as standard on the LR Discovery, and is part of the cold-weather/ convenience pack on US- bourne Sprinters...

vwxyzero

Veteran Member
TDI
'96 Passat Sedan, '96 TDI Passat Wagon, & Jetta Sedan, '83 Turbodiesel (IDI)
Does anyone know if any of the diesel fired parking heaters will fire and run on B100 (100% biodiesel with no addatives)

I want one if they do.

Thanks, vz

jollyGreenGiant

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Golf TDI GLS ( my 5th TDI ), 03 Eurovan GLS - VR6 :(
Bump this topic since we're getting closer to winter again. Has anyone else done this conversion? Is this conversion feasible for B4's and A3's? What about biodiesel operation ( as long as the bio is still not at gell point for regular operation. )?

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2004, Jetta Wagon TDI PD
There is no kit available in the US for the B4's. You'd have to get that from Germany.

Not sure about applications to the A3's.

IXLR8

Veteran Member
TDI
12 Passat Platinum Gray, 02 Golf Black, 01 Jetta Black
vwxyzero said:
Does anyone know if any of the diesel fired parking heaters will fire and run on B100 (100% biodiesel with no addatives)

I want one if they do.

Thanks, vz
I have read that Webasto has one just for BioDiesel use, I have no idea what the differences are. Their Thermo Top C-D is for Diesel and Thermo Top C-PME is for BioD.

NewJettaGuy

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Passat Sedan
gern_blanston said:
Dangit, I've been happily ignoring this device ever since I saw the first threats by Dan to supply a kit. You're not helping me by installing one and then reminding me once in a while how cool it is to have one!
I do not want a Standheizung.

IXLR8

Veteran Member
TDI
OOP's, I did it!

IXLR8 said:
I left work this evening, it was 10dF and dropping. As it took 20 miles on the highway to get any serious amount of heat out of this beast I kept repeating.

PDF has been downloaded.. but

The thought of having a warm car, that started easy, with a warm steering wheel... from the start. HMMMMM
Where do I get pricing on this?? Oh yea, that's right... I do not want a Standheizung!!
The pull to the warm side was irresistable!! :D Installed the unit this past weekend. This morning it was 0dF, unit fired up at 6:50am, left the house at 7:10am, temp gauge was at 180 and the cabin was warming up nicely. :D :D. Left the restaurant, only there for 40 min. Temp gauge was back down to 'cold'. Started heater after I started car, less than a mile later I had heat... :D Thanks Lito and all for the help with the install.

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No problem Jim, you did a great job with very little help from me! Now you are qualified to help someone else install theirs! LOL.

Welcome to the Standheizung/Webasto club!!!

NewJettaGuy

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Passat Sedan
NewJettaGuy said:
NO...

NOOOO...

Well...maybe...
after the HIDs....
and the hi-pixel cluster...
and the power memory seats...

NOOOO...

IXLR8

Veteran Member
TDI
There is no resisting the warm side!

NewJettaGuy said:
NOOOO...

Well...maybe...
after the HIDs....
and the hi-pixel cluster...
and the power memory seats...
Well... After freezing last winter.. I decided to put this ahead of the HID's, but I am looking into them. :) I have found that I use the heater all the time. After coming out of the grocery store, temp indicator at cold, stuck in traffic, OAT 18dF, I fired up the heater and while crawling along I had heat in less than 1/2 mile. :D I find I am using it as supplemental heat to warm the car up faster during the day.. not just in the morning.
I love my Standheizung!
I love my Standheizung!
I love my Standheizung!

IXLR8

Veteran Member
TDI
danski0224 said:
Soooo....
What is the cost of the parts for a US spec 05 A4 manual TDI wagon?
The short answer.. it depends. The only way to get it warrenteed is to buy it from a Webasto dealer, they install it. From what I have been told, based on options and whether you get the universal or VW specific unit, the price will be between $1500.oo to $2300.oo. :eek: If you are comfortable with German E-Bay.. you can get it for half that price and get the better remote. I spent less than $900.oo buying it from somebody from work that never installed it on their car.

danski0224

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon, 2005, Wheat Beige
Considering that my car has no heat for a long time, I must physically scrape the ice from the glass because the car doesn't ever warm up at an idle, and I plan on keeping it for a while, I would rather spend that sum of money on the heater over HID lights.

Although I think the TDI is a great car, I do not understand why VW doesn't give us heated glass windshiels or the option to get this heater. I had a block heater installed in my 98, and it was worthless. The TDI Heater might be a great product, but it is only as good as your extension cord is long.

At least I have heated seats.

Radman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Audi A6 TDI, 2014 Touareg TDI
Finished installing mine last Monday nite. A few tricks / ideas to share. I installed the relay and fuse box in the black box above the master cylinder that houses two other relays. Removed and cut the plastic holder to make space. (Note: the automatics do not have this box.) Now all relays are hidden form view. Also installed the fuel pump under the cover that accesses the fuel sender located under rear passenger seat. I found it to be a good place where the pump and connector would not be subject to road salt etc. All is working well.

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Radman,

I was going to install the relay in the same place but found that it wouldn't fit without modfying the black box.

Did your wiring harness reach back to the area under the seat? And, do you hear it clicking inside the car?

Lito

Radman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Audi A6 TDI, 2014 Touareg TDI
I did modify the box by cutting the relay holder inside in half and removing the unused half.
The wiring was plenty long to make it to the fuel tank. I still have at least 4 feet excess. Yes I can hear the pump when in operation from inside the car. That was my next question to those who have the pump under the car can you still hear it? My Espar that I had on my Golf was much quieter as the pump was built in the heater unit.

IXLR8

Veteran Member
TDI
I have the Webasto unit, pump mounted in stock location under car. I can hear the pump from outside the car, never noticed it when I was in the car. Per Lito's instructions I made sure that the pump didn't touch any of the body or frame after it was bolted in position. This is my first winter with the unit.. I LOVE it!!! :D Won't go another without one, these really should be an available optoin here in the states.

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Radman, Webasto is always improving the kits. I know on Jim's and my wife's kit, the holder for the auxillary pump was changed totally to a hard, thick rubber holder designed to cushion the noise.

It's much quieter than mine. It's difficult to hear when mounted underneath the car. But I know it is fairly loud that's why I asked you about yours.

Don't let Jim fool you, he is a quick study, handy and knows how to read and follow instructions! I now consider him an expert able to perform a professional installation of this heater.

L

david_594

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS Silver
Random(semi useful) update that no one will care about..... but the climatronic is designed to work with the webasto/standheizung parking heater.

On the back of the climatronic head unit you have 4 connectors. Facing the back of the climatronic HU the connector on the left is a 16 pin connector with larger pins than the rest. For wiring up the webasto you will need to add a wire to pin 1 of those connector. This wire will provide power to the HU so it can run when the car is off. It powers the HU and the servo motors. The other end of this wire will get wired to the signal wire going to the fan relay in the climatronic harness.

The rest of the wiring is the same as for the manual AC vehicles. You simply need to find fuse 25, cut it and splice in the 2 wires going to the relay. This is the fuse for the climate control blower power and normally receives its power from 75x(swithched power). When the webaso isnt running the relay just allows power to pass through that circuit. When it is runing it provides power to the blower motor via the fuse with the webasto harness which gets wired to the battery. If you splice the 2 wires in backwards then the blower fan wont come on while the webasto is running..... (thats what I get for not reading directions).

When the heater is turned on and the car is off the control panel will be on and will show "HE" in place of the outside temperate. Saddly thats all it does. It doesnt automatically set the unit to defrost or up the temp or anything like that. I just keeps the settings it had when the car was shut off.

If you power the car on while the webasto it will change back to the normal mode and display the outside temp.

Not real technical but if you have any issues or questions with this just shoot me a PM.

mtltdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf GLS, Indigo Blue
Does anyone have the T100 remote? Looks like a nice little add on for the Webasto's.

Birdman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta 2001 Died by Truck one snowy day. Jetta 2003
IXLR8 You have the right Idea start the car then start the heater and it will warm up in no time. this really helps those people that set in stop and go traffic and the heat drops off, Just turn on the webasto heater for 5 min. and the temps are right back up where you want them.
I have the OEM VW restarter kit for sale it has the shark fin 2 boxes for the wires and 1 VW remote for sale. I bought them from Germany but needed the triplex antenna to keep my FM radio. Not sure on the hook up but Lito has the same set up on his. PM me if interested.

danski0224

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon, 2005, Wheat Beige
Well, now that I have a Sprinter with the heater, I want one in my VW. I tried to get some info from Hillside Imports, but I had no luck at that time. Any ideas?

DPM

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2019 Rav4 AWD Hybrid, Citroen C4 BlueHDI
Dunno if this is of use to anyone, but LR Freelander diesels have a Webasto and there's a couple of Ebay.uk at the moment. No idea if any special controls are needed tho...

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Random(semi useful) update that no one will care about..... but the climatronic is designed to work with the webasto/standheizung parking heater.

On the back of the climatronic head unit you have 4 connectors. Facing the back of the climatronic HU the connector on the left is a 16 pin connector with larger pins than the rest. For wiring up the webasto you will need to add a wire to pin 1 of those connector. This wire will provide power to the HU so it can run when the car is off. It powers the HU and the servo motors. The other end of this wire will get wired to the signal wire going to the fan relay in the climatronic harness.

The rest of the wiring is the same as for the manual AC vehicles. You simply need to find fuse 25, cut it and splice in the 2 wires going to the relay. This is the fuse for the climate control blower power and normally receives its power from 75x(swithched power). When the webaso isnt running the relay just allows power to pass through that circuit. When it is runing it provides power to the blower motor via the fuse with the webasto harness which gets wired to the battery. If you splice the 2 wires in backwards then the blower fan wont come on while the webasto is running..... (thats what I get for not reading directions).

When the heater is turned on and the car is off the control panel will be on and will show "HE" in place of the outside temperate. Saddly thats all it does. It doesnt automatically set the unit to defrost or up the temp or anything like that. I just keeps the settings it had when the car was shut off.

If you power the car on while the webasto it will change back to the normal mode and display the outside temp.

Not real technical but if you have any issues or questions with this just shoot me a PM.
David,

I understand we need to add a wire to pin 1 of the climatronic HU. Where does the other end connect?

Doe it get connected to the + side of the fan fuse/blower motor from the webasto harness?

david_594

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS Silver
The other end of it goes to the signal wire that turns on the blower power relay that is included in the webasto harness.

Does that make sense?