Dash Brake Warning Light

flash9

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon GLS 5-Speed, 2003, White
On our 2003 Jetta for the past few years the brake warning light on the dash will come on and we get a three to four warning beeps. Historically, this would not happen right when we start the car but after driving anywhere from 5 to 10 miles and typically once we went over a bump would set it off.

The Brake Fluid is at the proper level and the brake pads have plenty of material. They were replaced a couple years ago, but this issue started before they were replaced, but I do think it is related to the brake pad sensor.

Previously, I would pull the drivers side tire and disconnect the brake pad sensor connector and hit it with some electrical cleaner, and the problem would go away for a few months before returning.

Last weekend I did that procedure and now the brake warning light comes on when we start the car and does not turn off. At least we not longer get the beep while driving and have passengers get concerned we have a brake problem.

So, my questions are:

• What different functions does the Brake Warning Light monitor in our MKIV-A4 cars?
  • Since I am 95% sure this is related to the brake pad sensor (connector), and I monitor my brake pads thickness very closely, is there a way to bypass that monitoring?
Our Jetta TDI Wagon now has 180k, which I know is low for many of you, but I would never had guessed when we purchased it new in July of 2003 we would still be driving it 14 year later. :cool:

Thanks for the help.

Last edited:

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
When my pads were low I do not recall the beeps.
When the light is on maybe unplug the sensor on the fluid cap sensor and test it for continuity.
Try jumping the plug and turning the car on to see if the light is out.
You could test the pads sensor also.
Its a closed loop until the rotor cuts the loop open iIrc.

steve6

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta tdi
The warning light for the pads does not use the brake warning light. It has its own yellow light on the dash.

I would be checking the e-brake switch, brake switch and top up the fluid to be sure.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Do these have a fluid level sensor? If so, it could just be dirty or degraded.
The basic function of any brake Warning is to monitor hydraulics. Typically this is done with a mechanical switch that senses a difference in hydraulic pressure. Not sure if that's how VW does that. Has the brake fluid been changed? A flush and air purge could help.

Metal Man

Vendor
TDI
1998 NB TDI, 2006 Jetta TDI, 2014 Tiguan gas, , 2019 E Golf X2
My son's Jetta will turn on the brake light on the dash and sound the beeper when the recirculate button is pushed on the climate control. We have yet to change the climate control to see if that fixes it, but from what I read I think that will take care of his issue.

Genesis

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon
There's a level sensor in the brake fluid cap on these cars and I suspect that's what is setting off the alarm -- either the wiring is bad or the sensor is.

flash9

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon GLS 5-Speed, 2003, White
More Information

I should have looked in the Owners manual to remind myself, but this is the Brake Warning Light that is lit.

This clearly states it thinks the Front Brake pads are worn which they are not.

If this is ALL this warning light monitors, then I am interested on how to de-activate it.

Last edited: