Group Buy: 1Z Billet Aluminum Coolant Flanges

thechoochlyman

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
1997 B4 Sedan
Hey guys, it's Charlie from Legacy Mold and Tool.

We just got done designing and manufacturing a billet upper coolant flange for the 1Z TDI engine. I'm now ready to offer this to everyone, but due to manufacturing costs I can't afford to make them one at a time. I'd like to make a batch of 1 dozen starting off, and then maybe do six at a time from thereon. If you're interested in signing up for one of these, please send a PM with your email address and I'll put you on my list. Once they are getting close to ready, I'll begin sending out invoices via Pay-Pal.

Price is $125 shipped each
Please read This Post for all relevant information.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
If I still had my B4V, I would be all over this.

This fits AHU as well - you should see if you can change the thread title to include AHU/1Z.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Have you posted this link in it's own thread in the B4 forum? I think you would get more hits that way.

Law_Anderson

TDI
'02 Golf PD130, '97 Transporter T4 1.9TDI (1zVNT, EDC15)
Are you still taking names? If so, would you be able to send one across the pond?

If it's a yes to both of those, I'm most definitely in!

thechoochlyman

TDI
1997 B4 Sedan
Sure thing! I'll put you on the list. If possible, go ahead and send me your email address as well as full shipping address. I'll try to get you a shipping quote soon.

I'm up to 7 definitely sold with possibly more on the list, so I'll probably be ordering material soon. Anyone who has had me put their name down, please go ahead and send me your email address for the Pay-Pal invoice that will be coming.

thechoochlyman

TDI
1997 B4 Sedan
Just an update for everyone:

Material is here, and I'm trying to get started with this batch. We've had some other (primary) work coming in, so this hasn't been on top of the priority list for us just yet. I'm actually getting married on October 31st, (yay!) so I'm doing my best to complete this parts run before that time.

I have also uploaded instructions for installation of the coolant flange. You can view/download it from HERE. One big thing I want to emphasize is properly using the thread sealant. Upon initial installation I just coated the fittings with sealant, and both of them were oozing later. I have since re-sealed it the way outlined in my instructions, and have been trouble-free since then.

Campbellonh

Veteran Member
TDI
formerly:Passat, 96, white and 10 Jetta, white gold
Is it too late to be added to the list? I forgot to jump in earlier (too many things going on).

thechoochlyman

TDI
1997 B4 Sedan
Just saw it, thanks!

And I'm officially done with 14 coolant flanges - all ready to begin shipping. If you have already received a Pay-Pal invoice, please go ahead and send payment.

thechoochlyman

TDI
1997 B4 Sedan
I also just wanted to point out a small design revision I made - altered the pocket around the 1/8" NPT hole so a wrench can fit all the way around the fitting. Now it can be tightened much more easily.

Law_Anderson

TDI
'02 Golf PD130, '97 Transporter T4 1.9TDI (1zVNT, EDC15)
If it makes it easier for you, shall I pay the invoice now; and wait for a shipping one later? I'm in no rush as I've decided that new rods may now well be in order (I'm not even sure which offerings will for my franken-motor!); but don't want to miss the boat on these!

Digital Corpus

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'97 B4 w/ 236K mi body, 46K mi soul
I too am missing an invoice.

The fitting above ships with the flange? How are it's tolerances for wrenching it down? A 7/16" wrench is 11.1125 mm and I'd really not like to have an oddball SAE/US/Imperial fitting on the car if I can avoid it; OCD and all ;).

thechoochlyman

TDI
1997 B4 Sedan
A nice touch on that pocket...BTW I never got an invoice...
You had a couple other items on that order, I'm getting all the stuff together first. ;)

I too am missing an invoice.

The fitting above ships with the flange? How are it's tolerances for wrenching it down? A 7/16" wrench is 11.1125 mm and I'd really not like to have an oddball SAE/US/Imperial fitting on the car if I can avoid it; OCD and all ;).
I sent an invoice to your gmail account - PM me if you have a different email address you want to use.

And no - the flange only comes with an O-ring and mounting bolts. You can use whatever fittings you like. Metric pipe threads are extremely rare, and as such are quite inconvenient for using here. I'm afraid you'll just have to

How are it's tolerances for wrenching it down?
The only advice I have is this: Put a generous amount of jizzum in there and tighten the p!ss out of it. Remember to check the installation paper for all the good details: http://1drv.ms/1NEcus6

Last edited:

Digital Corpus

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'97 B4 w/ 236K mi body, 46K mi soul
I sent an invoice to your gmail account - PM me if you have a different email address you want to use.

And no - the flange only comes with an O-ring and mounting bolts. You can use whatever fittings you like. Metric pipe threads are extremely rare, and as such are quite inconvenient for using here. I'm afraid you'll just have to

The only advice I have is this: Put a generous amount of jizzum in there and tighten the p!ss out of it. Remember to check the installation paper for all the good details: http://1drv.ms/1NEcus6
I PM'd you my email address initially. I forwarded that PM to you again a moment ago. They are both gmail accounts.

I'm not looking for metric pipe threads, just metric hex portion for the wrench. Since the nipple is a part I'll have to pick up, no sweat there, that'll be an easy fix...

Campbellonh

Veteran Member
TDI
formerly:Passat, 96, white and 10 Jetta, white gold
Pardon if this is a stupid question, but is there a reason to use a straight pipe rather than a hose barb fitting on the 3/4 connection?