www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > Classifieds/For Sale/Wanted > Vendor & GroupBuy items for sale

Vendor & GroupBuy items for sale VW TDI/Diesel related items for sale by vendors and Groupbuys. The only commercial posts to these forums are that of Vendors with TDI related equipment. To start a post, you must be a Registered Vendor. You may periodically post a note about products you may have for sale/services so long you indicate clearly you are from the company selling these products/services. The right to discontinue this practice & remove excessive posts remains with the operators of TDIClub. Please note there is also a webpage of TDI Vendors" Group-buys are permited if sponsored by a registered vendor.

Old August 26th, 2015, 06:56   #1
thechoochlyman

TDI(s): 97 Passat
Fuel Economy: 47.5 daily, 51.4 highway
Default 1Z/AHU Billet CCV drain plates, shift knobs, and custom machining

Hey guys, I'm Charlie from Legacy Mold and Tool. We're a small machine/tool shop located in Bardstown, KY and have been in business since 1997. Since I've been with this company, I've starting developing products to benefit my own vehicles - including my B4 Passat. I'm going to list a few things that I currently offer, and also discuss some things I'd like to bring to market later.

Updated 4/7/16

Billet serpentine belt tensioners. $125 for the whole thing assembled with a brand new bearing installed and ready to bolt on. Won't have a new bolt, so you'll want to keep that.

Updated 9/21/15 - We now very proudly offer our billet aluminum coolant flanges for the 1z engine. These replace the stock plastic part that tends to crack periodically - OEM part 028121132A. No more worries of reliability! We currently have NONE in stock. Please PM me directly if you want to place an order. You will need to source the following for installation:
1) Short 3/4 NPT pipe
2) Hose barb with 1/8 NPT threads for return line
3) Liquid thread sealant
More pictures can be found here, and installation details are here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Corpus View Post
So there are 2-3 fittings you need to round out the billet flange and have it plug right into the system. As indicated in the first post, the flange have female threads for 3/4" NPT and 1/8" NPT barbs. The barbs should be 1" and 5/16" to mate to the stock hoses and the latter is best with a 45˚ or 90˚ angle, though only the former is practical with the flange.
Be aware that brass, zinc, and steel don't play nice with aluminum over the long term so if you can find straight aluminum fittings, that's perfect. If you're fine wit a little blue or red, you can pick up inexpensive 3/4" NPT to 1" barb fittings on Amazon in, well, blue or red. This matches a local surplus store giving me 2 blues with kinda crappy anodizing for $6 ea.
The 5/16" barb is a pain to find and the one Steve_Addy found here is your best bet for a 1 piece solution. If you want something more local, you can go with a 1/8" NPT to 1/8" NPT zinc plated steel 45˚ elbow from Amazon and add on a black anodized 5/16" barb too.
For the latter two use some sort of thread locker or sealant. From my research, Loctite 242/243 should be perfectly fine to use. Yes, you're dealing with an already oxidized surface, but if you run the threads of the fitting together, it'll scrap off the anodization and give you a more reactive surface. You can always pick up some primer too if you're more comfortable.

Billet CCV drain plate for the 1Z/AHU/AFN engine. This will replace the stock plastic drain tube which tends to break periodically. It comes with an O-ring, two mounting bolts, and a 1/2 NPT hole which can either be plugged or plumbed to your valve cover. Price is $35 shipped per item.
An installation example can be found here.

Billet shift knobs - all types available for $75 shipped. Standard engraving is included (shift pattern, TDI/VW logo, etc.) Custom engraving is available, starting at $25. Currently the only vehicle I can immediately provide a shift knob for is a B4 Passat or vehicle with an M12x1.5 stick thread. If you want a shift knob for a different model, please PM me - I'm willing to develop products for any generation.

Update 4/8/16
Billet aluminum window guide clips - the ones that always break and make you buy a whole new assembly. Buy one for $35, buy three for $100. Fix your regulator for good!

We are a fully-capable machine shop with:
Hurco CNC Mill
Prototrak CNC Lathe
Wire EDM
Sinker/Ram EDM
Surface Grinders
Heat Treating oven
We work with all kinds of materials, and are open to quote custom jobs. If you have a specific product you'd like to see us build in the future, please send me a PM for details.

Here's a link to our Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/LegacyMoldandTool

1997 Passat 5 speed - No longer bi-tone
2.5" Straight-pipe exhaust CCV/EGR Deleted Malone Stage 3, 2.0 IQ Autometer Gauges Billet Stuff
Billet Coolant Flanges - Idler Pulleys - CCV plates - Window Guide Clips

Last edited by thechoochlyman; April 13th, 2017 at 06:23. Reason: Added information
thechoochlyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2015, 08:38   #2
john.jackson9213
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 1996 B4V

Charlie,

Here is a plastic part on the B4 that just cries out for a metal replacement.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.p...postcount=4670

If you check out the "What did you do to your B4" thread around post 4670 you will find a discussion about this needed part.

The current replacement part is C.R.A.P.
1996 B4V, Hella E-Codes, GLX leather, EuroTuning.cz 02A 6 speed conversion w/.71 5th and .588 6th gear, A4 shift linkage by Matt-98AHU. 11 mm pump by Oldpoopie. Now, GTC1549VZ turbo by Whitbread. TDtuning, 24 lbs. boost, 162 hp, 285 lb/ft tq. Smoke Free (9/18/15). Koni Yellows and Big Brake 5 lug conversion.
john.jackson9213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2015, 08:57   #3
Abacus
That helpful B4 guy

Fuel Economy: And the miles just keep ticking away

Oh man, make the right parts and you'll be a gold mine!

I'm liking that CCV base!
Abacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2015, 09:08   #4
thechoochlyman

Coolant Flange... that's interesting!

Do either of you have a ruined one you could send me to prototype? I'm not really sure where this part is on my car, and I'd rather not have to remove it. haha I don't exactly recognize it, either. But I'm sure it would be easy enough to machine a flat plate at least, similar to the CCV plate.

EDIT: John, thanks for the shout-out in the B4 forum - I appreciate the added publicity!

2.5" Straight-pipe exhaust CCV/EGR Deleted Malone Stage 3, 2.0 IQ Autometer Gauges Billet Stuff

Last edited by thechoochlyman; August 26th, 2015 at 09:15.
Old August 26th, 2015, 09:10   #5
thechoochlyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abacus View Post
Oh man, make the right parts and you'll be a gold mine!

I'm liking that CCV base!
Thanks! I recently sold three to another forum member after he saw my post in that thread. Mine is working out great so far, no leaks to be found - and sturdy as a rock.

Old August 26th, 2015, 09:20   #6
Abacus
That helpful B4 guy

I have one I can send you since it was just removed. But, would you be better off taking dimensions from a CRAP one or an OEM one? I just ordered 2 OEM ones from a dealer and most of the ones you find out there being sold are CRAP.
Old August 26th, 2015, 09:27   #7
thechoochlyman

Most definitely, the OEM part would be the best candidate for reverse-engineering. Since you're willing to take a plunge with me here, I'd be pleased to send you a finished part free of charge once we're done. Of course, I may also have to send you a few prototypes along the way to make sure it's sufficient. Could you post some pictures of where this is located so I can get a better idea of its function?

Old August 26th, 2015, 09:47   #8
Abacus
That helpful B4 guy

Wow, that is nice of you to do that, thanks!

It's right between the 3 & 4 injectors, at the end of the upper radiator hose.

Here is the old one with the new one in place.

A different perspective:

And this is where is mounts on the head, just a flat surface.

Last edited by Abacus; August 26th, 2015 at 09:51.
Old August 26th, 2015, 09:54   #9
thechoochlyman

Ah, it was right in front of me the whole time and I couldn't see it!

I think this could be done easily enough. May have to do some welding for the extra ports, but overall I think it's entirely possible. I'll be able to do more critical thinking about it once a part arrives that I can examine more closely.

Old August 26th, 2015, 09:57   #10
thechoochlyman

It appears to have four ports:

Straight-through hole for the main radiator hose. That's easy, just bore a hole through the middle.
I'll probably drill and tap a 1/8 NPT hole for the coolant return line, as it's not an exceptionally critical feature.
The Lower hose and Sensor may require machined and welded bungs in order to work properly.

Old August 26th, 2015, 10:02   #11
Abacus
That helpful B4 guy

I can send you off the bad one now so you can formulate an attack plan and as soon as an OEM one arrives I'll send it off as well. I'd be curious to see the dimension differences.
Old August 26th, 2015, 10:04   #12
Abacus
That helpful B4 guy

I would think the lower hose could be oriented at a 90 angle and moved further out to fit better. The sensor bung would require some thought though.
Old August 26th, 2015, 10:20   #13
thechoochlyman

Quote:
I can send you off the bad one now so you can formulate an attack plan and as soon as an OEM one arrives I'll send it off as well. I'd be curious to see the dimension differences.
That would be fine by me, sir. Really the only important thing will be O-ring size and bolt spacing. Everything else is kinda gonna be modified by me for easy of machining. Stand by for a shipping address.

Quote:
I would think the lower hose could be oriented at a 90 angle and moved further out to fit better. The sensor bung would require some thought though.
Perhaps so, but from what I'm seeing it would probably put a kink in the hose to alter things very much. You know more about these cars than I do, though. haha

I don't think the sensor will be too much of a hard time. It will just need to be bored to a proper diameter to snugly fit the O-ring and have some slots milled in the side to accept the retaining clip.

Old August 26th, 2015, 10:48   #14
Abacus
That helpful B4 guy

I'm not machinist and don't play one on TV, so I have no concept of how you do things on that level. I'm just saying there is some variability with some of the connections that may make your job easier.
Old August 26th, 2015, 10:54   #15
thechoochlyman

Sure, I gotcha. But that's good to know - I'll definitely have to make some design modifications in order to machine it more easily.