Development thread - billet aluminum Coolant Flange

Status
Not open for further replies.

thechoochlyman

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
1997 B4 Sedan
Looking forward to seeing it all fitted up on an engine. Really nice work...thanks for stepping up and doing this. The B4 is often the last model considered if at all for improvements such as this, yet the most deserving. Looking forward to not buying these from ID or anyone else anymore, lol.
Well hopefully there will be some installed photos by tonight! And it's my pleasure.

Speaking of which, can anybody tell me the best way to drain the coolant from my car? I'd rather not just spill it everywhere.

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
If you're just changing that piece, you don't need to fully drain it. I'd pinch off the hoses in the area and just change it.

If you're doing a coolant swap, pulling the thermostat is the best way to get most of the coolant out.

thechoochlyman

TDI
1997 B4 Sedan
It is done! I got the flange installed with my hose change last night. I didn't even need to bother saving any coolant, it pretty much all came out by itself before I started working.

Here is everything inserted into the part. The OEM VW water sensor worked just fine with the steel clip. I didn't even bother putting any sealant in there, and from what I can tell there's no leaking.

I found the 5/16 hose diameter 1/8NPT hose barb at O'Reilly's. I got a short piece of 3/4 NPT pipe for the other side and cut off all but about 1" of it. I coated it all very well with liquid thread sealant and assembled, tightening as much as possible. I put it all together and poured new coolant in the system over the course of an hour. If I had it to do over, I'd let the thread sealant set up for a few hours first. It seems to seep out just a bit in the areas where I used the thread sealant.

I may not have tightened down the 5/16 port well enough here. But at any rate, the larger diameter works just fine.

Mark, the bolts I sent you are probably a little long - I had to cut mine down a bit. Hopefully your block will work out just as good as this one is.

Last edited:

annieneff

Veteran Member
TDI
1983.5 Westfalia tdi (afn), with flipped 5 speed V6 (dvz) transmission
That looks awesome! Beauty job, and thanks for all the in depth thoughtful explanations here. I like your ccv tube attachment mod/upgrade too ;). Are you going to sell those as well?

Andrew

thechoochlyman

TDI
1997 B4 Sedan
We are now ready to bring this product to market. Thanks to all of you for your help in making this possible!

I now ask one of the moderators to lock this thread. All further discussion of this product can be continued in my Vendor Area.

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
82 rabbit vnt ahu, 98 jetta vnt ahu, 05 parts car, 88 scirocco.. :/
nice job! i'll be ordering a bunch of your stuff in the near future!! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.