Toyota Tacoma ALH Swaparoo!!

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
This is my first attempted TDI conversion although I've been cerebralizing on it for several years...I've had several toyota trucks that I was "going to convert" but none felt right for the swap...so here it is, a 96' tacoma X-Cab 4x4 I found on craig's list greensboro...it was "dinged" in the front so I went ahead and had it converted to the 01' to 04' front end while it was in repair ....truck is a 3rz 4 banger with a W59 5 speed...I've already gone through one adapter idea using a rear facing VW tdi starter...but that proved to be too much interference with the transmission case.. (anyone know of a larger diameter 4 cylinder VW flywheel?) my current adapter scheme uses an ACME "clone" adapter plate and a redrilled toy flywheel ....(thanks Luke for pointing out my omission) ...more pics to come in a few days!!

Last edited:

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
on my adaptation I'm using a 3RZ starter with the "cold climate" option...this starter has a 2.0kw output same as the late tdi starters....bendix is the same tooth count as the 22re, fits in the 22re separator plate hole perfectly and it has a mount configuration that allows the starter motor to rotate out of the way of the turbo with one tab lining up perfectly with the lower 22r starter bolt hole...My friend Daniel added a tab to the bell housing for the other starter mount to bolt to...here's a video of the starter in action ...:) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjSKiykdHrI

pic of the tab on the w series trans

pic of original 22r starter on w series bell

3RZ starter mounted to R series trans...notice "clocking" that keeps the starter away from the turbo

Last edited:

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
here's the harness before and after....still need to do some trimming and tying in...building basically a standalone harness that will tie into the tacoma harness at critical points

before image...harness is from an 02' manual trans jetta .... EDIT:..."most" of the harness is from an 02', some is from a Y2K jetta...I believe the glow plug and DLC harnesses are from the Y2K...

took me about 45min to get it to this point...still need the pedal with harness OBDII connector and some other bits

Last edited:

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
decided to post this so all the info is in one place within this thread... i'll update with more info as time allows
121 ecm interface pin/wire chart:
component:...........pin color
CEL:…...................24 ws/bl
tach:.....................27 gn/br
glow:.....................40 bl/gn
vss:.......................20 bl/ws
k line:....................16 gr/ws
clutch cancel n/c:..........66 ws/ro (needs to see 12v)
BS n/o:...................32 ro/sw (leave open or lamp side of brake switch)
BS n/c:...................65 ws/ge (needs to see 12v)
"wake up"
(key O/S):...............37 sw/li

hope this helps ;)

this is to correct the reversed function of the cel when using pin 24 as the source ...credit goes to Alchemist for designing this circuit :)
emitter>ground
base>switched 12v THROUGH resistor plus ecm pin 24
collector>negative side of CEL

Last edited:

Rockwell

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI (R.I.P.), 1.6TD Toyota pickup, 2011 BMW 335d, 1996 Passat TDI
haha! Gonna keep an eye on this. Did a 1.6TD into a pre-Tacoma, would love to try a TDI into a Tacoma. I would imagine the Toyota flywheel is a larger diameter. That front end just bolted on?

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI

LukeWilson

Veteran Member
TDI
Toyota 4x4 TDI, 2004 Allroad TDI
This is just an idea, i'm not sure if it will work. What if you were to use a W56 bellhousing and mate that to the W59 or just use the entire W56. Once you have the W56 bolt pattern Acme makes an adapter to mate the two together. Or you could also use the beefier R151 found in the 22re turbo trucks in the late 80's. This would let you use the Toyota starter, flywheel and clutch. You get your flywheel redrilled to the VW crank pattern and use a bronze bushing to replace the pilot bearing.

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
This is just an idea, i'm not sure if it will work. What if you were to use a W56 bellhousing and mate that to the W59 or just use the entire W56. Once you have the W56 bolt pattern Acme makes an adapter to mate the two together. Or you could also use the beefier R151 found in the 22re turbo trucks in the late 80's. This would let you use the Toyota starter, flywheel and clutch. You get your flywheel redrilled to the VW crank pattern and use a bronze bushing to replace the pilot bearing.
thanks Luke....already there though...I should have made it clear I'm already using an ACME "clone" adapter plate and redrilled toy flywheel...just don't like the expensive ($349:eek:) starter option...I did design my own adapter plate a few years ago that used a flywheel spacer and two separate plates welded together...the flywheel spacer had me worried so it's still on the shelf...currently have two bell housing modified to fit the 3RZ starter...one W Series 22r and one R series 22r (the turbo truck version) ...thanks for the suggestion...I'll amend my earlier posting;)

pic of my original mock up with rear facing starter...this will work but requires some grinding/modification to the w series transmission case

and the release collar lengthened to accommodate the greater release travel required for the original design

Last edited:

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Pilot bearings...

EDIT!!!!....use a bronze bushing that extends beyond the crank snout!!!...I only had 4mm of engagement into the pilot bearing and this damaged my input!!....see post #385!!!

on this swap instead of using a bronze bushing I'm using two "inline skate" bearings stacked together and driven into the back of the crank...they are 22mm x 8mm x 7mm ???....and I think they are 608 2rs bearings?...it's been a couple a years since I found em' so don't quote me on this....you can get em just about any sporting goods store that sells inline equipment ....i think this is where I got mine..EDIT!! these are not inline skate bearing but RC car trans bearings?....anyway they have worked great for over 20K miles and I'm using three stacked together instead of two....;) http://www.amazon.com/I-D-Bearing-Designation-Shield-Metric/dp/B002HAR8DS

OK it turns out the real problem was misalignment between the trans and engine

Last edited:

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
starter mounting....

just a couple of notes on mounting a 3rz starter to the W or R series transmissions...it's a good idea to use the 22r separator plate when using these starters as it's used to precisely locate the starter to the ring gear on the flywheel....ford uses this strategy as well as many other manufacturers....also on the toy bellhousing the lower threaded starter hole needs to be drilled for a bolt pass through as the 3rz starter boss is threaded

LukeWilson

Veteran Member
TDI
Toyota 4x4 TDI, 2004 Allroad TDI
Do you know what the diameter of the transmission input shaft is off hand? I wanted to use a bearing instead of a bushing but couldn't find anything that would work without sleeving the outside of the bearing or the input shaft.

Thanks,

Luke

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
I love this thread. I sold my tacoma with a 330k miles on it last year but I thought many a times about a tdi swap. If my truck was 4dr I probably would have done the swap, it just wasn't enough cabin space with it being a regular cab.

hartzpad

Veteran Member
I've had 3 Tacomas with the 3RZ 2.7 4 cyl, great trucks. I always wanted to do a VW TDI swap and I wondered how it would move the heavier Tacoma, even when chipped.

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
I've had 3 Tacomas with the 3RZ 2.7 4 cyl, great trucks. I always wanted to do a VW TDI swap and I wondered how it would move the heavier Tacoma, even when chipped.
I think it will move pretty good...the shipping weight on my truck is around 3400 lbs...about 300 over my beetle....the tacoma is basically a tin can on a frame...the weight is in the 4x4 chassis....I can't wait to see how small the TDI looks in the engine bay:D

410onefour

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta tdi wagon, 1991 toyota mtdi
Very cool! I love the electronic 'hand' throttle:cool:. Hopefully you'll have enough firewall clearance without moving the driveline ahead too much.

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Very cool! I love the electronic 'hand' throttle:cool:. Hopefully you'll have enough firewall clearance without moving the driveline ahead too much.
Thanks!! ...yeah I'm concerned about the clearance myself...the vacuum pump does stick out quite a ways on the ALH...however it appears there is more firewall clearance on the tacoma compared to earlier trucks.... I have a solution that involves replacing the factory vacuum pump with a block off plate and using a 7.3 ford diaphragm pump...but hopefully I won't have to use it...:rolleyes:

410onefour

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm currently working on a solution to the firewall clearance issue. Check out the "lets talk adapters" thread. I have no intention of marketing this. Just wanting to improve my own ride. I think it would be perfect when using the alh with the vacuum pump in the back of the head for these projects.

I'm not a machinist so the time it takes me to make just the crank spacer, I would have to get $300-400 just to make minimum wage:D.

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
I'm currently working on a solution to the firewall clearance issue. Check out the "lets talk adapters" thread. I have no intention of marketing this. Just wanting to improve my own ride. I think it would be perfect when using the alh with the vacuum pump in the back of the head for these projects.

I'm not a machinist so the time it takes me to make just the crank spacer, I would have to get $300-400 just to make minimum wage:D.
that idea is very close to my original adapter design...everything is already machined but I've currently shelved it because my spacer is 2"+ ? (can't remember exactly) ....long 10x1 bolts can be difficult to source...so I came up with using BMX/MT bike axles that can be cut and used as studs...you should be OK with just 1" for your spacer, I talked to the engineer at Kennedy adapters a few years ago and he warned me about using a spacer longer than 1"...so I went a different route on my project

410onefour

Veteran Member
TDI
I did know that it was 12mm on my w56 transmission but I thought that maybe it is different on the tacos. I had a look at the link and I have a word of caution. On the dodge diesels, efforts were made to replace the needle pilot bearing with a roller bearing. The problem was the inner race was too thin and would break in a short period of time. Quad 4x4 out of Montana eventually found a bearing with a thick enough inner race to solve this issue. Just something to be aware of.

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
I did know that it was 12mm on my w56 transmission but I thought that maybe it is different on the tacos. I had a look at the link and I have a word of caution. On the dodge diesels, efforts were made to replace the needle pilot bearing with a roller bearing. The problem was the inner race was too thin and would break in a short period of time. Quad 4x4 out of Montana eventually found a bearing with a thick enough inner race to solve this issue. Just something to be aware of.
thanks for the heads up:) ...I did not think of that possibility ...I am using two bearing stacked together, although that may not be enough...I will keep an eye on this however..

davidtdi

TDI
03 golf tdi
Hey Jim are you going to provide much details on the wiring. I am considering this very sway myself. Just looking for the right truck.