HPFP Failure- Info from Germany

willafb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI/2015 Golf SE
Im in the military stationed in Germany and called VW Germany today about having my 2009 VW Jetta TDI checked for a potential faulty HPFP. VW Germany admitted there are certain CR TDI's that have had HPFP failures in Europe and outside Europe.

VW said it had to do only with certain product batch of HPFP's (not manufacturer of the HPFP). When they ran my VIN they said its HPFP wasn’t part of the faulty batch of HPFP’s. So with that being said we now know that VW Germany is aware of the issue.

I was wondering if someone would be willing to share their VIN of a Jetta 2.0 CR that has had a failed HPFP. I would like to see if VW Germany data base picks it up as having a potentially defective HPFP. I want to just confirm that its truly a worldwide data base. The VW representative did say that my Jetta was assemble in Mexico but all 2.0 CR TDI engines and DSG transmissions are built in Germany so they would know with their data base.

Last edited:

Osage Orange

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta *sold*
Recall Time?

willafb said:
Im in the military stationed in Germany and called VW Germany today about having my 2009 VW Jetta TDI checked for a potential faulty HPFP. VW Germany admitted there are certain CR TDI's that have had HPFP failures in Europe and outside Europe.

VW said it had to do only with certain product batch of HPFP's (not manufacturer of the HPFP). When they ran my VIN they said its HPFP wasn’t part of the faulty batch of HPFP’s. So with that being said we now know that VW Germany is aware of the issue.

I was wondering if someone would be willing to share their VIN of a Jetta 2.0 CR that has had a failed HPFP. I would like to see if VW Germany data base picks it up as having a potentially defective HPFP. I want to just confirm that its truly a worldwide data base. The VW representative did say that my Jetta was assemble in Mexico but all 2.0 CR TDI engines and DSG transmissions are built in Germany so they would know with their data base.

Please share your VIN of a faulty HPFP and I will let you know the result from VW Germany...
If they have this capability, maybe VW should issue a recall letter to all the owners affected who havent shelled their fuel pumps yet. A little logistics coordination and honesty is all it takes. Interesting thread, Id like to see where this goes.

Last edited:

birkie

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 jetta wagon, red
PM sent

My failure was not blamed on fuel. It would be interesting to compare with those (such as dweisel, Nickofari, and others) who were victims of dealer-diagnosed "contamination" or "outside influence."

jayson9

Veteran Member
TDI
Osage Orange said:
If they have this capability, maybe VW should issue a recall letter to all the owners affected who havent shelled their fuel pumps yet. A little logistics coordination and honesty is all it takes. Interesting thread, Id like to see where this goes.
I'm guessing its like all other recalls, either the government forces them to do it, or, they wait until it breaks and then see if you are willing to go the distance to get it repaired..... I don't think they like to volunteer to much.

dweisel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
dweisel isn't diesel anymore!
I had posted months ago about a friend asking a dealer about the possibility of his 09 JSW HPFP failing. He was told at that time his wagon fell outside the range for known HPFP failures and he need not worry. This report from Germany seems to confirm that there is a know range for possible HPFP failures.

I just hope its not the same as the 168,000 O2 sensors for earlier models and the dealerships were told to keep replacing the sensors until they got a good one.

Dweisel

dweisel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Rather Be Biking said:
I go in on Friday. Dealer wants to look at metal specs on the fuel filter. Is unfamiliar with problem.
Have them pull the filter and check the bottom of the fuel filter canister for metal. Usually the fuel filter looks good because any metal on the filter medium tends to ''wash'' off the filter into the canister. May as well pull the fuel quantity regulator too and check for metal on the screen and down inside the HPFP. There are only two torx bolts holding the FQR on.

Dweisel

Rather Be Biking

Veteran Member
TDI
09 JSW Manual
dweisel said:
Have them pull the filter and check the bottom of the fuel filter canister for metal. Usually the fuel filter looks good because any metal on the filter medium tends to ''wash'' off the filter into the canister. May as well pull the fuel quantity regulator too and check for metal on the screen and down inside the HPFP. There are only two torx bolts holding the FQR on.

Dweisel
Thanks. I'll insist as best I can that they do this and not just look at me like I'm an idiot. I've got Hi-res photos printed out which I'm going to give them as well.

Rod Bearing

Veteran Member
TDI
Several
It would help if there was a link to something official from VW. Is there such a publication?

I'd like to print it, and put a copy in the glove boxes of my 2 2009 Jettas. Future reference. Just in case.

willafb

Veteran Member
TDI
I did get a couple of VIN's I will check with VW germany tomorrow and post the results... I'm really curious if VW germany data base has these VIN's...

On a different note all Mark V Jetta are coming from Mexico plant to include the one here in germany. I was think they built german spec jetta here in deutschland so im not feeling as ripped over having a mexican VW vice a VW built in Germany.

Last edited:

Jamos

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta SW
The fact that the failing HPFP's are isolated to a certain manufacturing run should be a huge relief to the majority of owners. At least it is not a flaw in every HPFP that is out there!

willafb, if you call back, try to get them to give you the VIN number range to share with us all...

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
Jamos said:
The fact that the failing HPFP's are isolated to a certain manufacturing run should be a huge relief to the majority of owners. At least it is not a flaw in every HPFP that is out there!

willafb, if you call back, try to get them to give you the VIN number range to share with us all...
Cynic here. I hope what is evolving is true, and that it's a bad production range, but I'm not ready to call this a "fact" yet.

jayson9

Veteran Member
TDI
tdiatlast said:
Cynic here. I hope what is evolving is true, and that it's a bad production range, but I'm not ready to call this a "fact" yet.
X2..... I am getting ready to pull my 20k service. I will pm my vin if anything found.

dweisel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
tdiatlast said:
You're exactly right. Hopefully that would be the best case senerio. ''bad production run and a limited number of affected pumps'', but we may really never know the full story.

Dweisel

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
If it is only a limited number of bad units, VW should really recall the effected VIN numbers. It would be MUCH cheaper to replace HPFPs before they fail rather that waiting for them to self-destruct and then having to replace the entire fuel system. Just my opinion, but it make sense to me.

Have Fun!

Don

mysql

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta wagon
Exactly. Which is why it seems unlikely to me that this is the case for our HPFP failures. On the other hand, maybe they move slowly and it won't be for a few more weeks/months before the same info is made known to NA dealerships.

willafb

Veteran Member
TDI
OK I got over 15 VIN numbers sent to me and all that was found by VW Germany were a few warranty extensions on the DSG tranny. So although VW Germany says they are aware of a fault in some HPFP - VW USA has not extended or recalled any parts or warranties. "The host county is responsible for that initiating the recall"- bad news for the USA... I had a 2002 Golf and the brake switch was faulty but the recall didn’t happen until the end of 2007. Sorry i do have an email for VW germany if anyone would like to complain...

Last edited:

dweisel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
willafb said:
[FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']OK I got over 15 VIN numbers sent to me and all that was found by VW Germany were a few warranty extensions on the DSG tranny. So although VW Germany says they are aware of a fault in some HPFP - VW USA has not extended[/font]
willafb, so did all 15 people that sent you VIN numbers have HPFP failures/

Dweisel

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Bolt EV Premier, 2023 Bolt EUV Premier
Sounds like VW in Germany did the same thing for the HPFP problems like they did when I told them my DSG problems, go see VWoA.

roccman

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI
dweisel said:

Dweisel
any good pictures of the FQR? found me a few little specs above the fuel filter.

Stibz

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta, 2009 Jetta
Mine looks very similar to that, but even less; I only noticed 2 or 3 specs of metal on top of the filter. That was at 66,000, and my 3rd filter change.

Have you checked it recently to see if it's gotten any worse?

RebelTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Audi Q5 TDI, 2016 BMW 535d Xdrive
There have been HPFP failures in 2009 and 2010 Jetta sedans, JSWs, and Golfs. Correct? If so, that would be a pretty batch of defective HPFPs I would imagine.

feliciatwo

TDI
2011 Sportwagen TDI
Getting ready to order 2011 Sportwagen over internet quote for $600 over invoice 25,100 this for DSG TDI. Were 2010 Sportwagens STIll having HPFP failures??
I've been a nervous wreck reading all these posts till late last night....i had already planned to put additives ...the Stanodyne or whatever you guys reccomend. I have some additive 101 questions. Do the additives add lubricity and/or Cetane...? And, in general would you guys who have had trouble with Fuel systems concider a 2011? I'm deeply conflicted.
feliciatwo

mysql

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta wagon
Getting ready to order 2011 Sportwagen over internet quote for $600 over invoice 25,100 this for DSG TDI. Were 2010 Sportwagens STIll having HPFP failures??
Yes, 2010's have had HPFP failures.

Adding additives may or may not help. We assume additional lubrication is needed to extend the lifespan of the pump, but that doesn't mean it's the only reason that failure can occur. We've yet to verify the cause, so assuming proper lubrication would eliminate this problem is premature.

feliciatwo

TDI
2011 Sportwagen TDI
Well, my 2008 Mini Cooper is for sale And it's "eye candy with only 9200 miles. So, im sure it will sell. I had wanted Diesel for so long and i wanted sporty handling as well as more room. i can't think of another vehicle to fall in love with---with these criteria. Formally i was a Subaru owner----bad mileage. Anybody have any ideas for another car to love?
I'm a compulsive Auto mag. reader. Feel depressed over not being able to justify the purchase of the Sportwagen.