Green Diesel tune

slamhouse

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI SE
I finally had to re-fuel the Jetta today. I have not been driving it too much lately since my family and I spent the week at Pensacola, FL. Great times btw!
My second fuel up resulted in 51.3mpg. I drove a bit more city miles, and was asserting a heavy foot at times. I need to work on trying to get an 800 mile tank. If I can avoid WOT for a while perhaps I will attempt that on this tank.

Another observation is this. I have not had the time to wash my car in the last 1200 miles. There is no visible soot on the rear bumper yet. On the OEM tune I could not drive 500 miles without the area around the exhaust being completely black with soot.

Have I mentioned the smile on my face? still got it!

Ben
Now that you mention the soot on the bumper, this fact is true with my car as well. Didn't even think about that...

dieselpony

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL 6 speed manual Moonrock Silver
Do you know the differences with this cam vs. the stock one? If so, I can tailor the tune to work with it very well. GDE
I believe the intake and exhaust valve lobes have a .020" taller lift on them. The cam I installed in my BRM is actually a BEW cam, so the injector lobes have slightly shallower incline, from what I understand. I think there are a number of folks on the site with this setup.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=326858

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 2013 Passat SE 6Man
I finally had to re-fuel the Jetta today. I have not been driving it too much lately since my family and I spent the week at Pensacola, FL. Great times btw!
My second fuel up resulted in 51.3mpg. I drove a bit more city miles, and was asserting a heavy foot at times. I need to work on trying to get an 800 mile tank. If I can avoid WOT for a while perhaps I will attempt that on this tank.

Another observation is this. I have not had the time to wash my car in the last 1200 miles. There is no visible soot on the rear bumper yet. On the OEM tune I could not drive 500 miles without the area around the exhaust being completely black with soot.

Have I mentioned the smile on my face? still got it!

Ben
By the looks of your Fuelly acct this 51.3 MPG tank was a new record! Congrats!!!

Green Diesel Engineering

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2006 Jetta TDi DSG
I believe the intake and exhaust valve lobes have a .020" taller lift on them. The cam I installed in my BRM is actually a BEW cam, so the injector lobes have slightly shallower incline, from what I understand. I think there are a number of folks on the site with this setup.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=326858

I read up on the cam modifications. Our tune will work fine based on what the cam manufacturer states. I may have to make a custom change to the injector duration map at high load to compensate for the lower lift and less agressive profile. In part load, your foot will control the fueling. The boost creep that was mentioned due to intake cam profile change may require reducing boost set point slightly, but this can be addressed after testing the tune as is, then hearing your feedback. GDE

slamhouse

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI SE
Can a custom ground cam with a slightly more aggressive injector lobe be tuned in with larger nozzles?

The steeper injector lobe to account for lower injection pressures due to the larger nozzles.

Green Diesel Engineering

TDI
2006 Jetta TDi DSG
Can a custom ground cam with a slightly more aggressive injector lobe be tuned in with larger nozzles?

The steeper injector lobe to account for lower injection pressures due to the larger nozzles.

Sure that would not be a problem. In this case the injector maps would need to be reduced a bit to correlate opening duration to actual fuel quantity delivered. You want it all, more power, better fuel economy...all at the expense of more rubber left on the pavement! :)

dieselpony

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL 6 speed manual Moonrock Silver
I read up on the cam modifications. Our tune will work fine based on what the cam manufacturer states. I may have to make a custom change to the injector duration map at high load to compensate for the lower lift and less agressive profile. In part load, your foot will control the fueling. The boost creep that was mentioned due to intake cam profile change may require reducing boost set point slightly, but this can be addressed after testing the tune as is, then hearing your feedback. GDE
Thanks for your answer. I'm in the process of saving $ for this!

slamhouse

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI SE
One thing slightly off topic, While the flash device is uploading a tune, the power steering is activated and is rather amusing to play with considering the engine is off and electric power steering is on :)

Makes uploading a tune much more fun!

Also @GreenDieselEngineering,

When a consumer purchases a tune, will future tunes come at an expence? and if so, What are your ideas on a cost for a tune update to accomodate upgraded hardware?

Green Diesel Engineering

TDI
2006 Jetta TDi DSG
One thing slightly off topic, While the flash device is uploading a tune, the power steering is activated and is rather amusing to play with considering the engine is off and electric power steering is on :)

Makes uploading a tune much more fun!

Also @GreenDieselEngineering,

When a consumer purchases a tune, will future tunes come at an expence? and if so, What are your ideas on a cost for a tune update to accomodate upgraded hardware?
Standard tune updates will get rolled out at no cost. Special/unique tuning for hardware changes will most likely incur a cost depending on what has changed and the time required to dial it in properly. We prefer to address special tuning requirements with the customer directly in teh following format:

1 Hardware update and create 1st cut tune to customer for feedback.
2 Customer recommended to record vital parameters with VCDS tool
3 GDE provide a second revision with further refinement to address any concerns and optimize the new hardware.

On a side note, we are moving into a building in the next couple months and will be ramping up our aftermarket performance packages after that including injectors, nozzles, turbos, etc. Thanks, GDE

Geordi

Veteran Member
Somewhere between Heaven and Hell. But it is reall
TDI
14 JSW DSG, 03 Wagon 01M, 400k and IPT performance auto!
Keith is awesome at what he does - for the Jeep CRD crowd as well as here. Give him your money, you won't ever be disappointed!
(No, I'm not a paid shill for Keith) I have a Jeep CRD that has his transmission tune and Eco tune. I wouldn't mind being a paid shill however... Just as soon as I get my next Jetta, he can pay me with an eco tune for that. :D

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
Just an FYI update on my latest numbers. 523 miles and 8.4 gals of fuel for 62.3 MPG. This is my best MPG to date on a trip that has always returned good numbers. Exactly one year ago without the GDE tune my MPG was 47.5 MPG, a GAIN of 14.8 MPG!!!!

slamhouse

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI SE
Our package comes with a handheld flash tool along with the ECO and HOT tunes for your specific vehicle. The introductory price is $695 and we are currently offering a $100 discount to TDIClub members.
595$ for two tunes and flash tool is a screaming deal!

One thing ive notice that seems rather odd:
I seem to get better fuel economy with the HOT tune than with the ECO tune under similar driving conditions. Could this be attributed to my commute?

Unfortunately I bought new tires that aren't as fuel economy based and it seems I took about a 2mpg hit.

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
595$ for two tunes and flash tool is a screaming deal!

One thing ive notice that seems rather odd:
I seem to get better fuel economy with the HOT tune than with the ECO tune under similar driving conditions. Could this be attributed to my commute?

Unfortunately I bought new tires that aren't as fuel economy based and it seems I took about a 2mpg hit.
Interesting, I think I will run the hot next few tanks. What kind of tires did you buy?

tulsa

TDI
2004 Jetta TDI
Tomorrow I will finish my first 900 mile tank. I expect to finish with just under 58 MPG

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat Wagon (chainless + 5 MT + GDE tune)
Just an FYI update on my latest numbers. 523 miles and 8.4 gals of fuel for 62.3 MPG. This is my best MPG to date on a trip that has always returned good numbers. Exactly one year ago without the GDE tune my MPG was 47.5 MPG, a GAIN of 14.8 MPG!!!!
Similar driving conditions, speed, environment, etc.?

crweidert

TDI
2001 Jetta 01M
I'm probably going to ask a dumb question.

What happens to a tune if you do a 01M swap after tuning? I'm interested in this tune but know that will be happening for me soon.

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
Yes, just went 918 miles on 16.3 gallons. First time over 900 on a tank.
Could you tell us us a little bit more about your driving conditions on this tank please? I assume this is a five speed PD car, right? How did it compare to before the GDE tune?

I appreciate very much the feedback.

slamhouse

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI SE
The gains have been discussed in the "fuel economy testers wanted" thread.
:
But I see about 4-6 MPG gain over stock with the GDE tune with my driving conditions.

toypar

TDI
2001 jetta
I just installed the GDE eco tune on my 06 DSG TDI. My car would average around 38-42. I made a 396 mile round trip from eastern Oregon to Portland and back. Minimal A/c use and cruise set on 68 MPH. There was about 15 miles of Portland traffic on this tank. I filled up 8.56 gallons. 46.3 MPG Best tank so far.

Next Tank was 30% city driving, not really driving for mileage. 403 miles 8.72 gallons 46.2 MPG.

That following weekend I took another trip to Portland. Topped off till I saw fuel in the neck. Set cruise at 65 MPH. Minimal A/c Outside temp was 92 deg. No wind. No hyper milling at all, Tire pressure at 40 PSI. Filled up when I arrived in Hillsboro. MFD showed 53.2..was hoping to hit 50MPG...206.5 miles and topped off till I saw fuel at 3.45 gal. 59.9 MPG!!! I still can't believe that number! Almost think it is a fluke, but I filled to the brim when I left and filled to the brim when I got there.

The leg home, I drove 70 and used a/c. Was about 65 deg out, no wind. Returned 45.3 MPG.

The tune is very drivable, very smooth power. I will have to try the hot tune and see if I can get similar mileage.

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
Steep drop with ECO tune!

Wow from going 65 MPH to 70 MPH it sure is a steep drop in mileage: 59.9 -> 45.3 MPG! For a reference point and according to fuelly.com the overall average for an 06 Jetta TDI is 40.4 MPG.

I just installed the GDE eco tune on my 06 DSG TDI. My car would average around 38-42. I made a 396 mile round trip from eastern Oregon to Portland and back. Minimal A/c use and cruise set on 68 MPH. There was about 15 miles of Portland traffic on this tank. I filled up 8.56 gallons. 46.3 MPG Best tank so far.

Next Tank was 30% city driving, not really driving for mileage. 403 miles 8.72 gallons 46.2 MPG.

That following weekend I took another trip to Portland. Topped off till I saw fuel in the neck. Set cruise at 65 MPH. Minimal A/c Outside temp was 92 deg. No wind. No hyper milling at all, Tire pressure at 40 PSI. Filled up when I arrived in Hillsboro. MFD showed 53.2..was hoping to hit 50MPG...206.5 miles and topped off till I saw fuel at 3.45 gal. 59.9 MPG!!! I still can't believe that number! Almost think it is a fluke, but I filled to the brim when I left and filled to the brim when I got there.

The leg home, I drove 70 and used a/c. Was about 65 deg out, no wind. Returned 45.3 MPG.

The tune is very drivable, very smooth power. I will have to try the hot tune and see if I can get similar mileage.

Midnight Rider

Veteran Member
TDI
SOLD
I recently moved and no longer take the same 190 mile daily round trip I used to, but had six full tank at my new location before the tune with the new driving conditions, 50% city, 50% highway, AC on. They averaged 43.25
I am on my 4th tank since installing the tune, same driving conditions: 48.53.

Drive ability is greatly increased over the (I think it was a Kerma Alligator) tune from the previous owner, no more boost spikes.

I am happy with the tune!

TravisD

TDI
None yet
Wow from going 65 MPH to 70 MPH it sure is a steep drop in mileage: 59.9 -> 45.3 MPG! For a reference point and according to fuelly.com the overall average for an 06 Jetta TDI is 40.4 MPG.
Don't forget that there was AC use and we don't know elevation changes or headind vs tailwind conditions.