Help Vag Com IMF adaptation

mainjet

Veteran Member
I don't know what I am doing wrong. I have replaced the Intake manifold flap on my 2006 Jetta tdi. I am trying to use my Vagcom to do the adaptation but it gives me an error. Can anyone help?

Here is what I am doing -
Key in on position - engine off
Vagcom plugged into laptop and car
start VCDS
Select control module
01-engine
(Advanced functions) basic settings - 04
group 060
GO

In the little reading windows it goves me red text saying ERROR.

What am I doing wrong?
Is this vehicle a drive-by-wire?

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
This vehicle is a drive by wire.

I was not aware that you needed to do the adaptation, but then I have never replaced an intake manifold flap (Anti Shudder Valve - ASV - it is often called on these cars.

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
There is no group 60 adaptation that I can find for this car. I am looking at the BEW/BRM label file 038-906-016-BEW.lbl.

In Dan Schein's amended label file I see the following:

041,0,Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) && Intake Manifold Flap
041,1,Position (Spec.),Intake Flap
041,2,Position (Spec.),EGR-Actuator
041,3,Position (Act.),EGR-Actuator
041,4,Exhaust Gas,Recirc. Duty Cycle
;
042,0,Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) && Intake Manifold Flap
042,1,Offset Correction,EGR-Actuator,See Label File
; Mileage dependant Correction Value which switches with
; increasing Mileage towards 0 (per 10.000 km about 1.0 %).
: Specification ( 0 km): -16.0 % with ±3.0 % Tolerance
; Specification (40.000 km): -12.0 % with ±3.0 % Tolerance
; Specification (80.000 km): -8.0 % with ±3.0 % Tolerance
042,2,EGR-Actuator,Adaption
042,3,Position (Act.),Intake Flap
042,4,Position (Act.),EGR-Actuator

So you may find an adaptation file for group 42 and or 43 (perhaps? I doubt it myself.) But in any case you can read the position of your new Intake Manifold Flap.

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
You can find Dschein's updated file from a link in this thread.

Just copy the text into a label file with the proper name, and then put it into the VCDS/labels/user directory, then it will automatically be used.

Be sure to save it elsewhere as well; VCDS for some reason always overwrites even the user files when they update, so you will lose it.

mainjet

Veteran Member
Thank you for your help and research.

If I copy this file like you said am I correct in thinking that it will not make any changes to my cars settings it will only add the additional diagnostic groups my VCDS software?

Can you tell me more specifically about copying the file and giving it the "proper name"? I am unsure of how to accomplish this and what the proper name should be:)

mainjet

Veteran Member
I just talked to the dealership and they said there is an adaptation and readiness that needs to be set. This is $130.00!

I just bought the VAGCOM and I am hoping that I can get this done without having to go to the dealership.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
There is nothing to reset on the BRM.

The throttle flap self-checks (along with the EGR positioner) after the engine is shut down. That is what that buzzing and humming sound is under the hood after you shut the engine down.

After you clear the DTC, drive the car and make certain all the readiness monitors set to verify your repair.

FWIW, the Group 060 of Basic Settings is for the throttle valve on the gas engines, not the PD diesels.

mainjet

Veteran Member
Thanks Oilhammer.

I replaced the ASV and cleared the codes but the codes comes back (P2015 and P2016). I bought the vagcom but obviously I am just learning how to use the thing and I am a bit timid to just puch around on it.

Can you help a guy out and tell me more specifically how to check all the readiness monitors? Do I leave the lap top hooked up while I drive it and see what reads out?

I have been trying to research this through Ross-Techs sight but I am having some difficulty

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
Thank you for your help and research.

If I copy this file like you said am I correct in thinking that it will not make any changes to my cars settings it will only add the additional diagnostic groups my VCDS software?

Can you tell me more specifically about copying the file and giving it the "proper name"? I am unsure of how to accomplish this and what the proper name should be:)
The VCDS label file does nothing to your car at all. It just explains and names some fields in the VCDS program. The fields are there for use even without the new VCDS label file. You have to enter one of the advanced functions to impact your cars operation; this file does not change the interactions at all.

You can copy the text file onto your computer, into the /label/user folder and then name it the same name as your normal label file. You can see this in the upper right of the screen when you are in measuring blocks.

I am pretty sure that the file name is 038-906-016-BEW.lbl, as mentioned in post #3.

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
I just looked at your other thread on the codes. These codes may be for the other flap in the intake manifold, the one that controls turbulence for good mixing.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=307031

008213 - Intake Manifold Flap Position Sensor (Bank 1): Implausible Signal
P2015 - 000 - - - Intermittent

008214 - Intake Manifold Flap Position Sensor (Bank 1): Short to Ground
P2016 - 000 - - - Intermittent

P2015
Intake Manifold Runner Position Sensor/Switch Circuit Range/Performance, Bank 1
P2016
Intake Manifold Runner Position Sensor/Switch Circuit Low, Bank 1

from this thread

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
I would look for a wiring issue first. Bad connections, worn through insulation, from where the wires leave the main loom to where they hook up to your inlet mixing vane controls.

The mixing vanes are attached to a rod that spins to control them. The rod is moved by a small vacuum operator.

Look at the vanes in photo #38 and those near that number

Last edited:

mainjet

Veteran Member
The car is a 2006 Jetta tdi - BRM motor

The ASV I took off looked fine. No slop in the flap and the gears were perfect. But since it was an electrical part I thought I would go ahead and throw in the new part. I cleared the codes but the P2015 and P2016 came back.

I started to look at the wiring last night but had to stop. I will check it further ASAP.

I guess I could take the large hose off and turnt eh key to see if the flap is openeing/closing? But no matter what I am still getting the codes some time.

oilhammer

TDI
I am a little confused here myself, as those SAE DTCs reflect the intake manifold runner, something the BRM engine does not have.

I have replaced a few BRM intake maniflold flaps (throttle body) and that was NOT the DTC present when I diagnosed the problem.

So I will ask again.... what is the VAG DTC displayed? Example: 17022

oilhammer

TDI
Here is the backside of a BRM out of the car:

Notice the intake where it bolts to the head is just like the ALH or BHW style, although the BHW faces the opposite direction.

mainjet

Veteran Member
This is the print from the VagCom when I asked the question last time in the MarkV forum. I think this shows the codes your looking for 008213 and 008214

2 Faults Found:

008213 - Intake Manifold Flap Position Sensor (Bank 1): Implausible Signal

P2015 - 000 - - - Intermittent
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00100000
Fault Priority: 0
Fault Frequency: 41
Mileage: 268435 km
Time Indication: 0
Date: 2000.00.00
Time: 05:40:31

Freeze Frame:
RPM: 1848 /min
Speed: 53.0 km/h
Load: 60.0 %
Voltage: 14.06 V
Mass Air / Rev.: 950.0 mg/str
Duty Cycle: 95.1 %
Bin. Bits: 00000000

008214 - Intake Manifold Flap Position Sensor (Bank 1): Short to Ground
P2016 - 000 - - - Intermittent
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00100000
Fault Priority: 0
Fault Frequency: 7
Mileage: 268891 km
Time Indication: 0
Date: 2000.00.00
Time: 07:43:04

Freeze Frame:
RPM: 1533 /min
Speed: 72.0 km/h
Load: 30.2 %
Voltage: 14.21 V
Mass Air / Rev.: 775.0 mg/str
Duty Cycle: 95.1 %
Bin. Bits: 00000000

Readiness: 1 2 0 0 1

If these are not what your looking for then I will have to try it when I get home from work.

oilhammer

TDI
That's the long code, yes. Not sure why it is displaying that SAE code, though. Strange. But I admit, I rarely pay much attention to the SAE DTCs on them anyways.

You should be able to do the Output Test with the key on, engine off, and run that valve back and forth. You may have a wire chafe problem on that little harness where it goes near the valve cover. Unplug the connector and pull the harness shielding back a few inches and look for any bad spots.

mainjet

Veteran Member
oilhammer thanks for the tip. I will look the wiring over better this weekend.

I have been trying to figure out how to use the Vag to open and close the valve but I have not figured out how to do it yet. How do you do it?

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
Thanks for the education Oilhammer.

I am aware of only one test for the air flap, that is in the engine, advanced, Output tests, but I am almost certain you must start with the engine at idle. When it tests this valve it kills the engine.

Of course you can see it close and open every time you kill the car with the key as well.

oilhammer

TDI
The problem is if you do anything with the engine running and the charge air tube off (so you can see the throttle valve) the ECU will see no MAF voltage and go into a different throttle/EGR mapping right away.

You *should* be able to do the Output Tests with the key on, engine off, and watch the valve go through its sweep self-test. You can also, as suggested, clearly here it move after shut-down. It makes the "zzzsht---zzzsht" sounds, while the EGR makes a more gentle buzzing sound.

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
And just watch it with the mark I eyeball.

I am pretty sure you will get an error such as "test conditions not met", and the output test will not start if they key is off. Please let us know. I am not positive since now some of the cars now have a menu to choose individual tests off of. VCDS is constantly changing.

oilhammer

TDI
VCDS is constantly improving, yes, as well as the newer cars have many more options and things you can do.

jef@rosstech

Associate Ross-Tech Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 Dog hauling, wood towing, pinball stashing Jetta wagon
In order for an engine output test to be performed, the engine needs to be run briefly. This must be done each time you wish to start doing the output test again for the engine.

It builds up stored vacuum and keeps the cylinders from getting washed down with fuel from repeated test.

Newer cars have more "bells and whistles", thus more "bells and whistles" for VCDS to play with.

mainjet

Veteran Member
I can't figure this thing out. I have made a visual inspection of the wiring. I have checked the fuses under the hood. I took the old ASV and plugged the wiring harness into that and cycled the key (did not start engine) to see if the flap would move - it didn't.

I hold my hand on the new installed ASV and cycled the key (did nto start engine) and I can just feel a single click. It doesn't make any other sounds or feel like it moves. Even when I have everything hooked up and I start the engine and shut it down.

I can no longer clear the fault code P2016. When I try to clear it it reappears right away.

I have tried (to the best of my knowledge) to run through the output tests - 03. I ran them sequentially. When it gets to "motor for intake manifold flap" it says "on" "Off", "on" "off". But I never hear it operating so I don't think it's working. Is there somewhere that the output test puts a results file? I don"t see it saying anything like fail or whatever.

I need some help. I don;t know what I can test electrically to get this thing fixed. Is there a fuse somewhere that I can check?

Last edited:

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
I would say you need to look for a broken wire or bad electrical connection. Probably from the main run at the firewall to the ASV.

A fuse would take out several other components as well.

There is no output test file. If you don't see it move, or see the car die, then it failed.

mainjet

Veteran Member
DanG144 - I did the test with the key on engine off. Should I start the car and run the sequential output tests?

I traced the wires everywhere I could and they all looked good. I unplugged all the connectors and looked them over but everything looked good.

When does the ASV operate? Onlt when you shut the vehicle down or also when you are driving?

oilhammer

TDI
Sometimes the driver circuit in the ECU itself fails. I have never seen it happen for this particular actuator on this particular engine, but have seen it enough times on other things to suggest it as a possibility.

I would unplug the connector at both the intake flap and the ECU, and ohm test each wire in the circuit carefully with each other as well as to ground.

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
It should operate every time you shutdown the car.

The output test keeps the fuel going, and verifies that shutting the ASV alone is enough to shutdown the engine.

On a normal shutdown, the ASV goes closed and the fuel cuts off at the same time.

I always run the output tests with the car idling, and it dies at the ASV test, then you continue with the rest of the tests, engine off, key on.

Dan