PRA4WX's corrado

PRA4WX

Veteran Member
TDI
1Zzzzzzzz
PRA4WX's corrado (no boost)

I'm not sure why i'm starting this other than maybe a way to keep track of some of my thoughts.......
Got this:

Pulled this:

To replace this:

In this:

Last edited:

PRA4WX

Veteran Member
TDI
1Zzzzzzzz
Good plan :) I've done the same and its great! Good luck with it, its pretty straightforward.
Thanks! I think i saw yours on here, no?

Pretty straight forward so far, although i haven't gotten into the wiring at the fuse/relay block yet and have yet to figure out how complicated or easily that can go. I haven't looked at schematics yet, and am unsure if i can stay with the corrado block and if the lego block vw approach applies there with the engine harness, or if it would all have to be repined. OR if i'll be forced to the much more complicated application of the corrado electricals to the passat block. ANYWAYS...

Thanks again!:cool:

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=2560652&postcount=35

If I were doing a MK2 TDI this is the list of parts that I would plan on but then again there are many different ways to accomplish the swap:
  • CE2 Mk2 (late 1989-1992)
  • B4 or Mk3 TDI for engine and drivetrain parts
  • B4 Pedal Cluster
  • B4 Engine wiring matches the mk2's holes better then the mk3 but they can both work. Careful with mixing and matching the ECUs, wiring harnesses, injectors and injection pumps. The glowplug circuits have different wiring. make certain you have the correct glowplug wiring that matches the ECU if if want the glowplugs to work properly without CELs. I also think that the 1Z engines have a lower popping pressure on the injectors so mixing and matching the ECUs could cause some issues here to.
  • Mk3/b4 TDI instrument cluster wiring as well as OBD2 diagnostic port. the B4 and Mk3 have minor differences in the cluster wiring. My recommendation would be to use the cluster wiring that is ment for the cluster. On my AHU Corrado I made my cluster's wiring harness from a bunch of spare aba and g60 cluster harnesses. What a PITA. On a corrado use a Passat TDI cluster.
  • I like the OBD2 diagnostic port mounting bracket that is used on the mk4s for mounting this plug wherever you want. I put my 1st one up under the dash. my 2nd one is under the shift boot Both used the mk4 mounting bracket. I like it under the shift boot more.
  • Mk3 or SLC K-frame (You can use a mk2 frame but it does not allow for the better motor mounts that the VR6 and TDI use) Passat will NOT work at ALL
  • Passat/SLC front crossmember (must use a Vr6 style motor mount) Mk3 will NOT work at ALL
  • ABA 2L or TDI 1.9L rear motor mount bracket
  • b4/mk3 tdi front motor mount bracket. The B4 ABA 2L 5spd front motor mount bracket is the same.
  • Any mk3/rado/b3/b4 02A transmission bracket
  • TDI motor mounts (Vr6 mounts will work but I'm uncertain of the vibration & longevity qualities)
  • In my opinion the mk2 diesel fuel tank is the best bolt in tank. The mk3 Jetta tdi tank will also fit. You can also use your mk2 gas tank but you will need to modify your spout and regulate the fuel pump's pressure.
  • For the instrument Cluster I will leave you with no perfect option. B4 or Mk3 TDI instrument cluster based on which dash you intend to use. The Mk3 fits the mk2 dash better. The B4 fits the corrado dash perfectly. Some have swapped MK3 and Corrado dashes into Mk2s neither of which is a simple task and there dozens of minor issues on all options. You could also try and build a hybrid mk2 cluster as show here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=303682
  • Use a mk2 TD airbox or a cone filter. Some have modified the 8V's airbox. I attempted this before getting my TD's airbox and wasn't satisfied with the aesthetic results.
  • Intercooler and pipes: This is something that depends on your car and which options you decide to keep.I used a G60 intercooler on my corrado. Big Bumper or Small, a/c or deleted, Hood scoop or OEM looking. I personally hate having a bunch of hose connections as each connection is just another opportunity for a boost leak. Sure you can mix match pipes and hoses to avoid custom metal pipes but my feeling is that its worth every penny to go custom. Some people have been able to use PVC and Copper from Home Depot. I like the Copper pipe idea and used it on a friends AEB Mk2 swap for a couple of water hoses. It was very easy to work with when compared to steel. Here is a thread with some MK2 intercooler ideas for those with small bumpers: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=314080
  • Radiator just use a mk2 item. You can use a corrado but there is no need.
  • use the mk2 a/c wiring or adapt to the mk3/b4 setup (I used the Rado setup on mine which is the same as the Mk2's). I did use a SPAL fan with the factory fan shroud because it freed up some engine bay space and made the swap look much cleaner.
  • fuel lines: this can be done in a number of ways. I think I used gas lines my 1st tdi rado and mk3 tdi lines on my 2nd.
  • tdi fuel filter assembly
  • mk3/rado shift cables. Passat cables are a little longer then Mk3/rado cables and are thus not the best fit but they can be used.
  • mk3 tdi or mk3 2L Power steering High pressure line. I think the Passat one is too long.
  • mk2 axles are fine
  • mk2 control arms, spindles & brakes are fine but the mk3/b4 spindles and brakes allow you to upgrade to 11" brakes easily. The Mk3 and B4 control arms are longer then the Mk2. You could also swap in a 5 lug setup but this is a number of additional parts which has been covered numerous times on the vortex and other forums. Here is a quick stab at finding a thread about the parts required (if you find a better one let me know and I'll update this link): http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?3633102
  • mk2 PS rack is fine or you can use the mk3 part but remember that the tie-rods are different lengths because the mk3 control arms are longer.
  • mk2 swaybar is fine or you can use the mk3 tdi parts. The G60 Corrado's swaybar interfered with the cat's support bracket so I used the mk3 TDI swaybar.
  • Use the TDI donor's downpipe and Cat (if you don't upgrade or delete)
  • Rest of the exhaust can be whatever you want. Mine have use a mishmash of gasser mufflers and over the axle pipes.
  • fuel sender can be whatever you need for each fuel tank...mk3 tdi fuel tank is best with the mk3 tdi fuel sender. A Mk2 gasser fuel tank should use the mk2 gas fuel pump and sender. A mk2 diesel tank should use the mk2 diesel fuel sender. Sure you could swap things around but KISS (something most will say I don't follow very often). On my corrado I have tried the mk3 tdi fuel tank and it doesn't fit very well as the spout is too close to the door. I used a corrado tank with an enlarged nozzle opening. I don't know how a mk2 tank will fit in a corrado.
  • ECU Mounting? On my Corrados I had to make custom mounts as the ecu did not mount the same as the donor cars.
  • Battery Cables: I like the mk3 cables much more then the mk2 ones.
for a/c there are at least two routes
  1. use the mk2 evaporator in the dash and have a custom line from the evaporator to the compressor created and then a custom line from the the compressor to the condensor
  2. Use the mk3 evaporator and then use an SLC a/c line from the condensor to the evaporator. Use a mk3 TDI or ABA 2L or slc a/c line to the compressor from the evaporator. Have the compressor to the condenser line modified with the mk2 unit and tdi donor. My cost was $75 per a/c line for mods.

Purple Tom

TDI
Corrado TDi, Golf TDi
Thanks! I think i saw yours on here, no?
Pretty straight forward so far, although i haven't gotten into the wiring at the fuse/relay block yet and have yet to figure out how complicated or easily that can go. I haven't looked at schematics yet, and am unsure if i can stay with the corrado block and if the lego block vw approach applies there with the engine harness, or if it would all have to be repined. OR if i'll be forced to the much more complicated application of the corrado electricals to the passat block. ANYWAYS...
Thanks again!:cool:
You did, the link to the thread is in my signature.

I found the wiring to be pretty easy to be honest. The most complicated part for me was the upgrade to the Teves 20 style ABS unit (can't see if your donor has that, but it's a worthy upgrade if you can be bothered) and the immobiliser. I've heard that US-spec B4's never had an immobiliser so you should be ok there and there won't be any issues with the ABS if you decide to retain the original G60 system.

It's simply a case of unplug the Passat engine loom from the fusebox, complete, remove it from the car. Unplug the Corrado loom from the fusebox, remove it from the car, remove the wiper loom and then combine it with the Passat loom, check and rewrap it all. Fit the Passat loom to the Corrado, making sure the necessary wires are back in their existing locations. Swap the fuel pump relay for the glow plug relay. As your car is an early G60 its unlikely to have the OBD2 style diagnostic socket which will be fitted to the Passat - I'd recommend swapping that too to ensure proper diagnostics.

UK cars didn't have a CEL/MIL either so I'm not 100% about that but I reckon it'll just be a case of swapping the complete cluster loom from the Passat to the Corrado. I retained my B4 donor's MFA while doing that; you won't have an MFA on the donor but you should retain the CEL/MIL if everything is plugged in correctly.

Just take your time with it, use your head and a few wiring diagrams and it'll all slot together lovely - I built mine in a little under a month of evenings and weekends so its a very doable conversion.

Read all of G60ING's incredibly informative threads too :)

HTH.

PRA4WX

Veteran Member
TDI
1Zzzzzzzz
Those s/c are junk. Once Autorotor stopped making the the frame and the parts, its was downhill from there.
Sorry, you are mistaken. Mine performed quite well, was well made, and was perfectly reliable.
You sound like you've had lots of experience with Lysholms......?

PRA4WX

Veteran Member
TDI
1Zzzzzzzz
You did, the link to the thread is in my signature.
I found the wiring to be pretty easy to be honest. The most complicated part for me was the upgrade to the Teves 20 style ABS unit (can't see if your donor has that, but it's a worthy upgrade if you can be bothered) and the immobiliser. I've heard that US-spec B4's never had an immobiliser so you should be ok there and there won't be any issues with the ABS if you decide to retain the original G60 system.
It's simply a case of unplug the Passat engine loom from the fusebox, complete, remove it from the car. Unplug the Corrado loom from the fusebox, remove it from the car, remove the wiper loom and then combine it with the Passat loom, check and rewrap it all. Fit the Passat loom to the Corrado, making sure the necessary wires are back in their existing locations. Swap the fuel pump relay for the glow plug relay. As your car is an early G60 its unlikely to have the OBD2 style diagnostic socket which will be fitted to the Passat - I'd recommend swapping that too to ensure proper diagnostics.
UK cars didn't have a CEL/MIL either so I'm not 100% about that but I reckon it'll just be a case of swapping the complete cluster loom from the Passat to the Corrado. I retained my B4 donor's MFA while doing that; you won't have an MFA on the donor but you should retain the CEL/MIL if everything is plugged in correctly.
Just take your time with it, use your head and a few wiring diagrams and it'll all slot together lovely - I built mine in a little under a month of evenings and weekends so its a very doable conversion.
Read all of G60ING's incredibly informative threads too :)
HTH.
Hey thanks again for the input! :cool:
I'M sure it'll sort out pretty simply. The passat harness looked pretty simple and similar too the corrado.
I unfortunately couldn't leave well enough alone and am not just dropping it in......may take me a bit longer than planned. Time will tell!

onlyn8v

Veteran Member
Sorry, you are mistaken. Mine performed quite well, was well made, and was perfectly reliable.
You sound like you've had lots of experience with Lysholms......?
Id say a decent amt. I owned 3. I installed one of Johns prototype kits on a friends car also.

There also have been numerous horror stories of bearing lockups. I sold a Mk3 with one on it as the charger was making noise.

John himself actually sited that due to the production cease that they were going to stop making the kits, but has limited parts for repairs.

I will take back what i originally said though. There werent "junk" There were a well designed replacement to the g60 that didnt last as long as they should have.

Last edited:

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
I've got a fair amount of experience with Lysholms too:

My friend bought one of the first kits and I had to deal with a number of the teething issues: oil drain lines, belt alignment, the inlet hose/pipe, and then when my friend went with the silencer kit....oh boy. great concepts but what headaches and thats with the engine not turned on (fire siren) but it did put down 198whp/200wtq.

If you can read wiring diagrams you won't have any problem dealing with the wiring. Take pictures of the passat's wiring under the dash and all of the junction boxes under the dash. These are the key to making the installation simple.

greasyrides

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Golf - sold, 1990 Corrado TDI - sold :(
Fuel Lift Pump

Not to thread jack...but I'm curious what Purple Tom did with the in-tank fuel pump.
I would love to use the stock in tank pump with a Holley Bypass FPR, but the Fuel pump relay is in Block 12 on the Fuse box, which I need for Glow Plugs.

Some background: Last year I swapped a 1Z into a fairly beat Corrado (the car was free). It runs but has too many cosmetic issues and electrical gremlins. I'm now swapping the 1Z into a much nicer 1990 Corrado. I took the time to get all of the typical Corrado issues fixed on this car before I began the swap, so I can isolate issues better.

I'm currently using the G60 fuel tank with modified filler neck, and a modified B4 TDI Fuel level sender to fit the G60 opening. I have a spare fuel sender from a MKIII TDI which looks to fit, but interferes with the retaining ring in the bottom of the Corrado tank. If I can get power to the stock Corrado pump and glow plugs, that would be my ideal setup.
Thanks!

Purple Tom

TDI
Corrado TDi, Golf TDi
I left the stock pump in place and fitted a 'H' fitting into the fuel lines, linking the feed and return pipes together with a tapered joint just after the tank. This provides plenty of pressure to the IP and any excess is fed through the tapered 'H' fitting back to the return line and therefore back to the tank.

I found that fitting the glow plug relay in place of the fuel pump relay meant that the fuel pump primes for the same amount of time as the glow plugs operate for. The relay uses the same pin layout but feeds seperate tracks in the fusebox so once you figure out the wiring you'll see that both the fuel pump and glow plugs are fed by the relay (fuel pump is part of the car loom, glow plugs part of the engine loom).

I have been running the car for 6 months with absolutely no ill effects at all. The fuel pump primes the system nicely, making starting easier, and once the pump has stopped running the IP has enough suction to prevent the non-return valve in the in-tank pump from closing again. The only time I can foresee an issue is if I change the fuel filter and all I'll do then is make sure its as full of diesel as I can get it and prime the system a few times before starting, just like with a PD engine.

I hope that helps. I should add that I used a VR6 in-tank pump (with the larger 70 litre fuel tank), not a G60 type so I'm not sure if they run at different pressures.

PRA4WX

Veteran Member
TDI
1Zzzzzzzz
Id say a decent amt. I owned 3. I installed one of Johns prototype kits on a friends car also.

There also have been numerous horror stories of bearing lockups. I sold a Mk3 with one on it as the charger was making noise.

John himself actually sited that due to the production cease that they were going to stop making the kits, but has limited parts for repairs.

I will take back what i originally said though. There werent "junk" There were a well designed replacement to the g60 that didnt last as long as they should have.
Gotcha. Mine was flawless the life i ran it....but i am ecstatic to be moving to a turbo. I had technical curiosity about the Lysholm design and had wanted to play with one for a bit. The only downside ended up being less than acceptable fuel economy which accelerated moving to my long term dream of a diesel corrado....so here i am. Anyway thanks for sharing. :cool:

PRA4WX

Veteran Member
TDI
1Zzzzzzzz
Oh, quick follow up. I'm converting to a vnt turbo. Question-can anyone tell me what the function of the vacuum ball associated with the newer style N75 valve? I'm not clear on its function....?

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
reservoir for vacuum, just use the vacuum reservoir that is already on the corrado under the PS fender.

PRA4WX

Veteran Member
TDI
1Zzzzzzzz
reservoir for vacuum, just use the vacuum reservoir that is already on the corrado under the PS fender.
;) Thanks for that. I was wondering why i would possibly need to use anything other than a spare i already had from one or another car i've pulled them out of.

PRA4WX

Veteran Member
TDI
1Zzzzzzzz
My goodness these guys were crudded up!

Temporary G60 mani pre porting

After

I'm not sure how this engine combusted fuel.....

After some cleanup

Light porting as much for cleanup as anything....although i did shape the intake ports to accept the MC1 intake i've got on the back burner to go on at some point in the future....

Worked on this end a little....not sure that i improved anything though

PRA4WX

Veteran Member
TDI
1Zzzzzzzz
Probably a long shot but i have a SUPPOSED VR6 PP and cannot come up with anything based on the numbers i have pulled from it to I.D. what it is. Having never seen the VR6 PP i don't know it from adam but it doesn't look any heftier/different than the LUK on the 1Z donor...... Anybody able to ID the VR6 PP or tell me what i'm looking for? TIA

PRA4WX

Veteran Member
TDI
1Zzzzzzzz
Has anyone integrated the gasser fuel pump neatly with this swap? Pointers if so? Curious as to the wiring not plumbing...... I'm planning a "keyed" power source instead of only with glow plug operation for example to get constant fuel source when running. If not i'll come up with something, wondering if there are any BTDT's on tdiclub.... TIA

PRA4WX

Veteran Member
TDI
1Zzzzzzzz
Thanks for that!
I've got a return setup put together.....and looks like lift pump actuation with the glow plugs.....i've seen some pretty sharp guys come up with some pretty keen setups in the little looking around i've done here. Wondering if anybody had done that for the wiring in a corrado. If not i'll ham-fist it together like i otherwise do.

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I love your swap but you may run into some air containment issues with your intake gasket and exhaust manifold's egr

PRA4WX

Veteran Member
TDI
1Zzzzzzzz
I love your swap but you may run into some air containment issues with your intake gasket and exhaust manifold's egr
:eek: Tell me about it. The one i'm not sure about EXACTLY yet is the EM....wheather to have a new "face" machined for the egr plug or go ahead and try the multiple new taps for studs to put the block off plate in.

On the intake, it's only temporary but i tried to leave enough meat on the upper shoulders of the intake to seal-may not have though. End game-as of right now-is an MC1 intake mani which completely eliminates that problem-lots more room on the upper portion of the runners as they are a fair amount larger-i'd imagine that's something you, Frank, already are familiar with though..:cool:

Last edited:

PRA4WX

Veteran Member
TDI
1Zzzzzzzz
Wondering what others have handled the radiator fan after run relay that is triggered by the fuel pressure relay?

Also, wondering what cycles the fuel pump off when it's turned on by the ignition? I have the late style wiring for the glow plug relay wit the remote relay and "jumpered" relay in position 12 in the relay block associated with the "FA" ecu late '97 1Z. The G60 relay connects terminal 4 and terminal 6 but with a switch from terminal 2 and 3. Any experience here? TIA

Random photos:

1Z cam, Colt Stg3, and a 276 asym cam i had ground by Techtonics for a PG for comparison/my curiosity:

G60 flywheel vs 1Z

Old rears vs el cheapo coilovers

PRA4WX

Veteran Member
TDI
1Zzzzzzzz
THINK i've got the cruise rewired to work now

Wiper harness needing to be removed from the engine loom

Broke down and contrary to my normal practice-cut the donor harness to reuse the grommet

Got the diag/obd plug stripped from the passat harness, need to wire it in to the relay block

Last edited:

jjordan11

Veteran Member
TDI
1988 Audi 80 quattro PD130, 1982 Westfalia TDI
Looking good, one question though. Why would you want the fuel pump to turn off after the ignition is turned on? I would run a relay with the fuel cutoff solenoid as the trigger and leave the pump running with the engine. Can't help much with the Corrado specific questions though. I am intrigued with the mc1 intake gasket though.

PRA4WX

Veteran Member
TDI
1Zzzzzzzz
Exactly right-i don't want it to cycle off but the G60 cycles and then shuts off after a few seconds.....i'm wondering if it's cycled off by the fuel pressure sensor....? Anyway, it would be tidy if there were an easy solution that uses the wiring harness already in place but i may end up having to use a separate relay triggered, as you said. I'd rather get the pump like it runs in your Audi (stock) where the pump runs with the key on.