www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Conversions

TDI Conversions Discussions on converting non TDIs into TDIS. More general items can be answered better in other sections. This is ideal for issues that don't have an overlap and are very special to swaping engines.

Old December 27th, 2010, 20:20   #1
myke_w

TDI(s): 03 TDI Wagon
Default hybrid cluster: mk3 clocks in mk2 cluster housing?

Hi Guys,

I'm struggling with a way to have a factory look in my mk2 ahu/1z conversion without going through all the pain of a dash conversion.

I like the mk2 dash and cluster, but I also like cruise and I don't want to convert to a cable for speedo.

I've seen a few people manage to stuff a mk3 cluster into a mk2 dash, but much of the time it looks forced.

I've seen even fewer folks use a passat cluster, and that actually looks ok from the pics, but I have no idea how it would be done.
see pic - http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/e...clusterfit.jpg

My thought is to try to remove the clocks from the mk3 cluster and build them into the mk2 housing (with some supporting material holding them in place) and with the electronic circuit board located further back - which would connect to the clocks with wire.

I have a mk3 cluster here in front of me (and a mk2 housing) and it really looks like there's nothing stopping the clocks from coming clear off the board once the four big solder joints for each is de-soldered and the corresponding fastening screws are removed..

The idea is then that the fuel and temp sections could be nestled somewhere else (middle or perhaps remote located altogether) or the mk2 fuel gauge and maybe even temp gauge could be reused if the installation were done carefully enough.

All of the desired idiot lights could then be wired to leds in the mk2 cluster (gp, turns, low coolant battery etc. one could even take the mil to a new led if desired)

I guess my question is.. has anybody tried it?

Anybody see any reason it wouldn't work?
myke_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2010, 19:33   #2
G60ING
Veteran Member

Jeff outlined it fairly well here:
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea....8T-GTI/page10
G60ING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2010, 05:13   #3
m1ketdi
Veteran Member

TDI(s): Leon BKD
Fuel Economy: 50+mpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by myke_w View Post
Hi Guys,

I have a mk3 cluster here in front of me (and a mk2 housing) and it really looks like there's nothing stopping the clocks from coming clear off the board once the four big solder joints for each is de-soldered and the corresponding fastening screws are removed..
The clock faces will come off without any desoldering required. All you do need to do is pry off the speedo and rev counter needles and undo the screws and they will come away.
m1ketdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2010, 21:28   #4
tongboy
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: great and surprisingly not bad, depending on which car

the mk2 tacho unit will work with any of the newer ecu's with an adapter and some wiring - no reason to hack in a new unit.

if you just MUST got to the newer speed unit it can probably be done but why not just get the proper 'raddo cable and feed the ecu with the outputs from the mk2 gauges?

it's a lot easier to get the proper mk2 o2a/o2j speedo cable and the engine bay isn't appreciably messier because of the extra cord/wire
The faster car: 97 M3 with an all aluminum american V8 12.6 @ 116 2.0 60'
tongboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2011, 06:22   #5
BigVWman
Veteran Member

You can do it, i explored it when i did mine. i even had it wired up with the actually mk3 gauges in the mk1 housing in my case and then wires over to the mk3 cluster board that i hid behind the dash. I hated it bulky and a big glob of useless extra work. I eventually gave up on the mk3 gauges and went with late mk1 cluster driven by an ebay tach gizmo. it is clean and works great!
BigVWman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2011, 19:13   #6
myke_w

Quote:
Originally Posted by tongboy View Post
the mk2 tacho unit will work with any of the newer ecu's with an adapter and some wiring - no reason to hack in a new unit.

if you just MUST got to the newer speed unit it can probably be done but why not just get the proper 'raddo cable and feed the ecu with the outputs from the mk2 gauges?

it's a lot easier to get the proper mk2 o2a/o2j speedo cable and the engine bay isn't appreciably messier because of the extra cord/wire
I gather that cable is no longer available new and that there are problems getting cruise to work with the mk2 speed sensor in the cluster.

If I'm wrong please point me in the right direction. Again, I'd far prefer a stock mk2 cluster
Old January 8th, 2011, 19:44   #7
BigVWman
Veteran Member

No problem with cruise using 3 wire vss on the later mk2 clusters. IIRC the part number for the cable is: DRIVECABLE [Part# 535957803 Price:$66.60, at auburn vw but double check that its the right cable! You will also still need a tach adapter unless i'm mistaken. i got mine from ebay similar to item #220589941354. Good luck
Old January 8th, 2011, 19:59   #8
myke_w

Quote:
Originally Posted by tongboy View Post
the mk2 tacho unit will work with any of the newer ecu's with an adapter and some wiring -
Oh, could you comment on the adapter you speak of?

Thanks
Old January 9th, 2011, 07:06   #9
GTiTDi
TDIClub Enthusiast
Macht Schnell! Vendor
w/Business number

Location: 3 Spruce st Wareham, gateway to Cape Cod Massachusetts
Default mk2 1z swap

I am doing the exact same swap as we speak except with a 91 GTI 8valve, and I am pondering the same problem..what cluster to use..I have the passat cluster from the donor car and the GTI cluster, and obviously the passat cluster is way wider..and I noticed in the picture of the mk2 with passat cluster I don't see where they put the headlight switch..I would like to use the stock cluster if I can...but after I saw the passat cluster in there I thought its all plug n play, no tach adapter necessary, and no cable to hassle with(or buy, one site wants 106.00) why not? I am currently looking at the two dashes side by side to determine what to do..but If it ends up being too much trouble I would also like to know what tach adapter to use
GTiTDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2011, 09:52   #10
myke_w

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigVWman View Post
No problem with cruise using 3 wire vss on the later mk2 clusters. IIRC the part number for the cable is: DRIVECABLE [Part# 535957803 Price:$66.60, at auburn vw but double check that its the right cable! You will also still need a tach adapter unless i'm mistaken. i got mine from ebay similar to item #220589941354. Good luck
Nice, now supposing I can actually get the cable.. which drive gear do I use for the gearbox? is it as simple as swapping the one off the speed sensor in the 02A? I cant really envision it.

for example - the one in this pic looks quite different from the mk2 ones I'm used to.

Last edited by myke_w; January 9th, 2011 at 15:06.
Old January 10th, 2011, 07:57   #11
BigVWman
Veteran Member

The existing speed sensor in your trans should unscrew from the gear assembly. Allowing you to then screw the cable on to it. The existing speed sensor is usually a two part piece, the gear assemby and the electronic sending unit. IIRC

I just checked mine i have one that is two piece and the electronic sending unit unscrews and one that is one piece and doesn't unscrew, not sure where or why they are different. Best bet is check the one you have and see if its two piece or not.

Last edited by BigVWman; January 10th, 2011 at 10:26. Reason: updated after checking my own
Old January 10th, 2011, 19:08   #12
tongboy
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: great and surprisingly not bad, depending on which car

Quote:
Originally Posted by myke_w View Post
I gather that cable is no longer available new and that there are problems getting cruise to work with the mk2 speed sensor in the cluster.
If I'm wrong please point me in the right direction. Again, I'd far prefer a stock mk2 cluster
I haven't been able to find a VW part that is 100% fit - I have the vw part straight from auburn and it required another piece to work.

there are a few places to buy the correct proper fit corrado cable
http://www.bahnbrenner.com/vw_audi/p...edometer_Cable

http://www.speedometerplus.com/

both sell units that should work without any extra pieces.

the cruise is easy to wire in - you pull the speedo wiring off of the back of the cluster - the cluster must have an MFA unit to have the wiring output for the cruise - it's extra wires through the firewall but is easier then doing something else funky.
The faster car: 97 M3 with an all aluminum american V8 12.6 @ 116 2.0 60'
tongboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2011, 03:39   #13
myke_w

Thanks! That's awesome info!

I think my problem has been solved.
Old January 12th, 2011, 06:52   #14
BigVWman
Veteran Member

Tongboy- Just curious what is the difference between the one that bahnbrenner shows and the part number i used? They appear the same in the pictures?
Old January 12th, 2011, 19:38   #15
myke_w

Oh, does any body have a picture of the vss on the mfa cluster they could share

?I only have standard mk2 clusters in my pile.